Resources for running tt-rss on Amazon Web Services (AWS).

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
Saliency
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Resources for running tt-rss on Amazon Web Services (AWS).

Postby Saliency » 16 Apr 2013, 16:13

This is a bit of a work in progress and in many ways I don't know what the hell I am doing but this is what I have so far and it may be useful for some.

First why AWS.
1) It is basically free to run a single linux micro instance.
**** You get charge for bandwidth but unless you are hosting 10 other your cost should be something like a buck a month.
2) You can turn it on an off at will. You can copy it. You can create an identical dev server in less then 10 minutes. If you leave it on 24/7 you will be changed about $15 a month. But you don't need to leave it on! Turn the dev instance on only when you are developing an you are only charged $0.020 per Hour.
3) Potential to be a turn key solution. (That is were this guide comes it.)

So I am no AWS expert but from what I know there are two turn key ways of installing tt-rss to AWS.

The first way is to build tt-rss then to share the AMI. (Amazon machine image.) This was the approach I was taking. Sharing the image is easy. Under permissions in edit you can make it public. The next step (first step actually) is making sure the image you share does not expose yourself. (What did you leave on the instance that can be used to attack other instances.)

For this reason I made an entirely new install of tt-rss and was researching what I needed to do to make it secure. (I'm not a linux expert)

While researching this I stumbled across this post from Joe Hack3r http://blog.joehack3r.com/2013/03/29/ti ... formation/
which includes a cloudformation script to create a an instance. The creation script is really very good. It even includes configuration of the cron job to update tt-rss feeds. From what I can tell cloudformation scripts are superior to making AIMs public.

I did a very small modification.
TinyTinyRss_initial_creation.template.txt
(16.66 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
I updated it to point to 1.7.8. Then I installed it. It worked great. The tt-rss version or url should probably be parameterized.

-------------------------------
Anyway that is what I have so far. I would be interested in hearing feedback.

cqrt
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Resources for running tt-rss on Amazon Web Services (AWS

Postby cqrt » 17 Apr 2013, 20:57

The free tier micro instance come with 15Gb of free bandwidth. The most likely first charge you will run into is I/O usage. It comes with 1 million free I/O requests after which you will pay $0.10 per million. I have 160 feeds, reasonably heavy usage and I'm sitting at 16 million I/O requests so far this month. It's costing me about $3 per month. When the free tier runs out, I'm expecting around $20 per month.

Saliency
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Saliency » 18 Apr 2013, 02:01

Great info cqrt. I'm running a few less feeds then you. My price last month was .23
I think most of the AWS charged me rage comes from folks that by mistake turn on two linux instances.

This is pure speculation, but I wonder if they will ever stop the free tier. They have that windows beanstock box always on. (I terminate it and it comes back) I don't care cuz i is free but if they started charging me for it I would go ape shit.

cqrt
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby cqrt » 18 Apr 2013, 09:03

I don't see any reason why they would discontinue it. I heard the conversion rate is quite high so It's probably a good model for them. The cost of offering Kernel virtualization has plummeted as of late. so there are lots of solutions. One company I am interested in, as well, is Digital Ocean http://www.digitalocean.com. They are offering VPS 512mb ram, 1 core, 20gb of SSD!! space, and 1TB of traffic for $5 per month. Crazy. They don't seem to nickel and dime you like EC2 and they have similar features, snapshots etc.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 18 Apr 2013, 09:11

cqrt, this reads like an outright ad to me.

cqrt
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby cqrt » 18 Apr 2013, 22:48

fox wrote:cqrt, this reads like an outright ad to me.

My apologies fox if it reads that way. I guess I should add, I am in no way associated with the company linked to in my previous post, nor am I employed in the hosting industry, nor do I derive my income from anything to do with the internet. My name is Matt, I live in the south pacific and I'm a private security contractor.

I literally discovered the company yesterday and am considering it a worthy alternative to my EC2 hosting for tt-rss. Anybody considering hosting tt-rss on an overstuffed cattletrain like Hostgator should be considering something similar.

Saliency
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Saliency » 19 Apr 2013, 00:11

The thing I most like about AWS is the potential for deploying a tt-rss instance without ever needing to log into linux. I think it could open up the product to a class of users.

If digital ocean, rackspace, frog pond, or some and others let you script an install it would be good to have the script posted.

The point of the post is not "wow amazon is cheep" it is "wow I can install from a script in no time and not have to know much". When listing my points 1,2,3; I listed them from least important to most important. I probably should have dropped the first two points for clarity.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 19 Apr 2013, 00:21

I hope you realize that you are thinking of targeting people like this:

lifehacker article comment wrote:I did read the pitch. Still doesn't seem worth it. Okay, it can't get shut down. Got it. But even when a web service gets shut down, it's stupid easy to port over your feeds to someone else. I've done it twice. Other people have different priorities, but the effort-to-reward ratio seems way out of whack. If someone thinks that hours of effort once > a few minutes of effort every few years, then more power to them. I'm not among that group.

They are going to use flavor of the month hosted service or (more likely) something that will spoon feed shit to them like google currents or flipboard.

Saliency
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Saliency » 19 Apr 2013, 21:54

Ya people don't get that if they are no the customer(paying) that they are the product.

a1ehouse
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby a1ehouse » 21 May 2013, 03:12

Hi there, anyone using AWS do your feeds update? I am having trouble running a cron, but can run the update daemon if I ssh into the server.

Any tips for getting the feeds to auto update?

Thx for any advice

Edit: I got it updating using cron

Code: Select all

crontab -e
*/30 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/tt-rss/update.php --feeds --quiet

Return to “Development”