What is happening to the plugins

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
cy8aer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

What is happening to the plugins

Postby cy8aer » 19 Apr 2013, 14:35

Just some thoughts (again)

(trunk 68cccafcad6b59eb9088793f5d3a506de03aab6b)

First of all: there is no entry in Preferences->Plugins anymore, though e.g. login still works (and IMHO there is just an UI problem).

When I did an upgrade to HEAD yesterday the whole system crashed. Yes, I read the api changes 1.7.9 but this is quite weird if a plugin can crash the whole system. Kicking out owncloud af_google_bla and everything worked fine again. I am not firm with php but would it be possible to make some consistency checks before including a plugin on startup (some try/except stuff because it crashes the PHP engine)?

When I look at the plugins they mostly come from github right now but the real plugin stuff is in some subdirectories. Are there some thoughts to make it possible to include the git repository into the stock plugins folder?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: What is happening to the plugins

Postby fox » 19 Apr 2013, 14:51

Did you seriously not notice a fucking global announce thread about plugins being updated for 1.7.9?

>I am not firm with php but would it be possible to make some consistency checks before including a plugin on startup

There is, it's called reading the logs if you use third party stuff.

>(some try/except stuff because it crashes the PHP engine)?

Hahaha. Go ahead, try it. Report results.

>Are there some thoughts to make it possible to include the git repository into the stock plugins folder?

What exactly is stopping you?

fox

Postby fox » 19 Apr 2013, 14:54

I'd like to add that you'll have a lot of fun following trunk while giving fuck all attention to commit messages and the forum.

cy8aer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby cy8aer » 19 Apr 2013, 15:24

fox wrote:Did you seriously not notice a fucking global announce thread about plugins being updated for 1.7.9?
(further reading) of course I did
fox wrote:There is, it's called reading the logs if you use third party stuff.

ahem, that is your third party stuff (owncloud). But (of course) the owncloud plugin is for pull request out. I try to help but I do not use the other plugins in contrib...

fox

Postby fox » 19 Apr 2013, 15:27

Yeah, fair point, I have updated contrib repository.

fox

Postby fox » 19 Apr 2013, 17:21

Okay, this get_link() thing should be handled more gracefully now.

Edit: also, I'm adding versioned plugin API to make this less painful in the future.

fox

Postby fox » 19 Apr 2013, 17:33

Updated plugin compatibility instructions.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1859&p=9279#p9279

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 19 Apr 2013, 19:35

cy8aer wrote:I am not firm with php but would it be possible to make some consistency checks before including a plugin on startup (some try/except stuff because it crashes the PHP engine)?

Sadly, PHP is famously bad at exception handling, with tons of quirks.

API checks as were added will probably help a lot for these kinds of migration issues, but it would not be a trivial task to "sandbox" plugins to keep them from killing the entire session while still keeping functionality intact. A quick look at the web server logs will often point to file and line number where the error occured, though, so it should be quick to fix.

A brainstorm idea would be to run plugins through a test parser (the PHP binary has the `-l` option that does this; earlier there was a php_check_syntax() function in the standard library, but that has been dropped) before loading, but it quickly gets convoluted, and it's still not a complete solution. I'm guessing that pure parse errors are not a common thing outside of a plugin development cycle. Innovative plugin designers could probably generate thousand ways to bypass sanity checks :-) .

I agree that it's not optimal to have the entire application die because of a parse error in a plugin, but at the same time, it should not happen very often (with functioning plugins) — especially not now with the API version checks in place.

fox

Postby fox » 19 Apr 2013, 23:57

>A brainstorm idea would be to run plugins through a test parser

No fucking way.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 20 Apr 2013, 00:12

fox wrote:Did you seriously not notice a fucking global announce thread about plugins being updated for 1.7.9?

I had the same problem, missed the notice about the change on 1.7.9, (running trunk) and noticed that my plugins tab was empty.

but, I looked at the error log from the web server, saw the messages, figured out what was causing it, and removed those plugins, then tried commenting out the lines, and they worked.

I either missed that message about the changes in the rss stream, or for whatever reason, it wasn't there.

I did spot it last night while I was looking for something else though, but I'd already patched around that issue.

Return to “Development”