fastReader - a TT-RSS Windows Phone 8 app

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
mightycoco
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: fastReader - a TT-RSS Windows Phone 8 app

Postby mightycoco » 29 May 2013, 21:42

All versions are using the same colour scheme. It's mint/green - v 1.0 was just black. I currently realized, that the MS Store shows the old black screenshots but offers version 1.1. I'm currently in contact with MS to sort that out. Must be a problem with the web-store. The phone-store shows the right screenshots.

Anyhow:
1) Manually updating (serverside) is not supported and I don't think, this is a good idea as statet here in the TTRSS Api Ref. http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... iReference:
updateFeed
Tries to update specified feed. This operation is not performed in the background, so it might take considerable time and, potentially, be aborted by the HTTP server.

2) Marking a whole feed or category as read wasn't on my list as I never (big emphasis on never) do this - if there is demand, I'll have a look into this and implement this for some of the next versions (there is an API endpoint available)

The next versions will have bug-fixes, refracturing of code, better online/offline handling and I'll look into editing labels of an article (add/remove)

thanks,
MC

Bobjespat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Bobjespat » 02 Jun 2013, 17:38

Huiii! Its now also available for WP 7.8 and it works like a charm for now. First of all, i thank you for this App! I havent tested so much now, but i will do it later. First Sync was realy fast. Could you please add some functions in later Versions? I know it must sound, that i cant get enough, but i come from other Apps like NextGen Reader / NewsSpot and i know what Luxus this is :-)

Can you please add Support for the following Sharing Services like: Evernote, Pocket (Read it Later), Twitter and E-Mail? Mostly i need Evernote and Pocket Support, But i can use E-Mail a Article as a Workaround. If i have the time, i can translate the App or made some other things you need. I have translated other Apps like 7Pass for WP. If you need beta Testers, feel free to send me a short Mail. Im a ISTQB certified Software Tester in my Company, eventually i could help to find bugs.

Bobjespat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Bobjespat » 03 Jun 2013, 00:46

Hello, im back from the first tests. It works really fast, I love this. What I miss, is a button to mark all the feeds read, when I'm in "fresh articles". Most time I read only 5% of my feeds, the others are crap.

Maybe I have seen some categories with 0 new feeds in display, but if I click them there are new feeds. I will investigate this further.

Can you make the feed title in two lines if needed? Some feeds have very long titles and it reads not so good, when I can read only the first words.

I'm very impressed by the App Speed. Its wonderful. Please add more options and features when the users do wish them and your App could be one of the top Apps in the Store. I will test more of the App and will report my meanings, if you want. If you wish, I can share my points private to you instead of public to everyone.

Andyt8
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby Andyt8 » 03 Jun 2013, 17:23

Hello,

I was also able to use fastReader on my WP7.8 device. I use https URL which seems to me Ok for the App. The first Sync was fast, but it doesn't sync all new articles and I have further wait time (not really a problem). Is it true, that your App have at the moment no Offline Mode? Every Start, I have no articles.

However, the buttons for "Fresh articles", "Recently Read", "Starred articles" and similar show me 0 articles, but there are some. Additional after a click on it, I see no article and some time later it jump to articles and I see those articles.

It would be nice if it would be possible to adjust the sort order: newest first, latest first.

If you want to add sharing services: Instapaper, Twitter, Facebook and Google+ would be nice for me.

edit: if there is a longer article, fastReader doesn't show the complete article - only the first section...

girafe_t
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby girafe_t » 06 Jun 2013, 11:41

Hello,
If you want a french translator, I can help you for this app :-).

Send english translations table, and I give back french one.
MP for mail if you are interested.

After using a little, some misses (from my use):
- an option to list articles from oldest to newest (oldest in top)
- an option to hide feeds with no unread article, or class feeds tiles with unread articles on top of feeds pane
- a pane to display categories (I often use "All articles of a category" to read feeds)

Thank's for your app, I'm trying it!

soandso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby soandso » 06 Jun 2013, 20:53

Just downloaded and logged in successfully - big thanks to mightycoco! I'm sitting on a Windows 7.x phone that I like just fine (will probably go WP8 in the future), and with Google Reader going away soon I needed to finalize my Google-to-TT-RSS switch.

Thanks again!

girafe_t
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby girafe_t » 07 Jun 2013, 12:03

Hello,

after a little use, I have some little remarks (other than on previous post).
- It would be nice to have a Live Tile to display count of unread articles
- Long articles are not fully displayed when scolling down
- when sliding from article to other, if page is scrolled down, it not go to top of new displayed article
- some images are not displayed, even if they are displayed on web interface

Thank.

mightycoco
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mightycoco » 07 Jun 2013, 12:12

Could you please add some functions in later Versions? I know it must sound, that i cant get enough, but i come from other Apps like NextGen Reader / NewsSpot and i know what Luxus this is

I'll constantly update and no, the app won't get "luxus" - it's a newsreader at the end.

If you want a french translator, I can help you for this app

Thanks for the offer. Localizations are not on my current plan - the app doesn't have a lot of strings at the end and is focused on the content (feeds and articles) - the major point is the presence in the store. A localization needs it's own app description, screenshots and all that overhead and I'd be forced to support customers in foreign languages I don't speak (from a Microsoft point of view). Yes, there might be localizations in the future, but not right now.

- an option to list articles from oldest to newest (oldest in top)

Sorting will come

- an option to hide feeds with no unread article, or class feeds tiles with unread articles on top of feeds pane

Omitting empty feeds might come in a future version - I'll keep in on my radar with low prio.

- a pane to display categories (I often use "All articles of a category" to read feeds)

Don't know how to show this right now, without adding a new Pivot pane - maybe I have to overhaul the feeds-pane... Let's see in some later itterations.

the buttons for "Fresh articles", "Recently Read", "Starred articles" and similar show me 0 articles, but there are some

The number shows the unread count in that feed (that's the way, the TTRSS API works) - I find this also distracting. An option would be to show no number, if its "0".

after a click on it, I see no article and some time later it jump to articles and I see those articles.

That's the delay of the server response. I need to add some kind of loading indication, to make the process more transparent for the user.

if there is a longer article, fastReader doesn't show the complete article - only the first section...

Yeah, that's a major problem which bugs me since some time. WP controls only allow a max-size of 2048x2048 pixels. Everything above this size will get cropped - I need to find a way to intelligently slice the articles and put them into smaller controls...

Can you make the feed title in two lines if needed

Next version

I'm very impressed by the App Speed. Its wonderful. Please add more options and features

Contradiction here. More features - slower app. That's the way it works. I'll do my very best and drop fancy features in return of a good performance.

If you want to add sharing services: Instapaper, Twitter, Facebook and Google+ would be nice for me.

No external services are planned. Each external service will need it's own api and libraries and will make the app slow in startup. I'll add the internal sharing feature of WP (Facebook,Twitter,Sina,LinkedIn) - the list of services might change depending on the region you live in. I think russian operator have their own social services added to the list - sina is available wold wide (wonder why).

- It would be nice to have a Live Tile to display count of unread articles

Well, that requires a server-side implementation as well. I don't want to force users installing additional add-ons. If I have enough time left, I might write a plugin, which get's checked if available and the registration process for the Live-Tile updates are initiated. (your server must then be reachable by Microsoft, of course)

- when sliding from article to other, if page is scrolled down, it not go to top of new displayed article

I know. Bad thing, I'm working on - would have been easy on WP8 alone - but the support of that damn old WP7 stuff prevents me from having a non-hacky implementation on this.

- some images are not displayed, even if they are displayed on web interface

I've seen this occasionally, too. Working on it, but have no idea, whats happening there. Some servers just reject to provide the image. If you have a specific feed, where this is always repoducable (for every image): PM me.

Thanks,
MC

girafe_t
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby girafe_t » 26 Aug 2013, 17:42

Hello,

Thanks for your update before hollidays :-)

Some comments on app after 2 months of use.

Bugs:
- When network problem, application freeze and crash (exits without error message)
- Failed to access setting panel (idem, crash)
- When network problem at startup of application (not same case as before), error message says login/password error, as it is a network problem (cannot access to server, my phone is not connected :-)). It sometimes crashes.

Questions:
- Why "system categories" (All articles, fresh articles...) are seen both as feed and in menu pane (with setting button)?
- On article view (one article reading screen), we have feed title on notification bar on top of screen (very usefull). But feed title is also displayed on top of article content. I think it is useless on article :-).

- Askes:
- Is it possible to have a button to archive an article, and one to set as unread (if I need more time to read, but not want to star or publish), as to publish or star?
- Is it possible to only display unread feed if there are some, then display all feed?
- For order, is it possible to have two parameters: order for unread and for read (if question before): older to newer for unread, then newer top for read (if I want to return to a read feed and have a mounth of feed to get, it's a little big loading and sliding :-))?
- If a reed all button is available, I'll be very happy :-)
- And for categories, I think it should be a tree on a new pane, with Tiles on nodes or leafs.
- It could be good to pin directly a feed (or a category :-)) to start screen :-)

As I can't access to settings, I haven't tried order setting.

Thanks a lot for your very usefull app!

mightycoco
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mightycoco » 26 Aug 2013, 20:06

Hi girafe_t,

girafe_t wrote:Hello,
Bugs:
- When network problem, application freeze and crash (exits without error message)
- Failed to access setting panel (idem, crash)
- When network problem at startup of application (not same case as before), error message says login/password error, as it is a network problem (cannot access to server, my phone is not connected :-)). It sometimes crashes.

There are some issues with network and login-detection right now. It'll be improved in the upcoming version

girafe_t wrote:- Why "system categories" (All articles, fresh articles...) are seen both as feed and in menu pane (with setting button)?

Because I'm a bit lazy and didn't want to filter the feeds list against the special feeds. ;) Will be fixed in the next version.

girafe_t wrote:- On article view (one article reading screen), we have feed title on notification bar on top of screen (very usefull). But feed title is also displayed on top of article content. I think it is useless on article :-).

Can't see that. In the reading view there is
1) the feed-title (in your accent color)
2) the article-title (in green)
3) the publish date, read/star/publish status
4) the content

girafe_t wrote:- Askes:
- Is it possible to have a button to archive an article, and one to set as unread (if I need more time to read, but not want to star or publish), as to publish or star?

Not yet. The archvie function is some internal thing of ttrss and is used to save starred/published articles even when they are deleted from the feed due to expiry settings.

girafe_t wrote:- Is it possible to only display unread feed if there are some, then display all feed?

I'll think about it and put it into the settings screen.

girafe_t wrote:- For order, is it possible to have two parameters: order for unread and for read (if question before): older to newer for unread, then newer top for read (if I want to return to a read feed and have a mounth of feed to get, it's a little big loading and sliding :-))?

Sorting will come in the next version

girafe_t wrote:- If a reed all button is available, I'll be very happy :-)

Is planed for the next version but not very stable, yet.

girafe_t wrote:- And for categories, I think it should be a tree on a new pane, with Tiles on nodes or leafs.

Trees are hard to visualize as they are no core windows-phone concept. Maybe a grouping will improve the visual style on the feeds pivot

girafe_t wrote:- It could be good to pin directly a feed (or a category :-)) to start screen :-)

I'll have a look into it ;)

cheerz,
MC

girafe_t
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby girafe_t » 26 Aug 2013, 21:36

Thanks for your celerity.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled application, to see if I can access settings menu, and now, I can't load application.
It display launch screen (black with logo on bottom), and then close.

I am a little disapointed... :-(

jkingok
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jkingok » 04 Oct 2013, 09:47

I started using this app yesterday and really fantastic well done.

I'll +1 the request to hide read items straight away and unhide them when there are none.

Also I think there is a bug in that the dates of the posts (n hours ago) doesn't take into account the difference in time zones. My server runs in UTC and my handset is local time +8 for me and everything is perpetually 8 hours ago.

Another minor thing is while swiping through stories in full view every so often my finger will drag a link and I'll end up in internet explorer on my Lumia 520 if something could be done about detecting swipe vs tap that would make my life much better.

Triple points for having no ads.

mightycoco
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mightycoco » 06 Oct 2013, 14:29

Hi jkingok,

thanks for the thumbs up.

Hiding/unhiding of unread items in an "intelligent" way is something I'd like to avoid. I'm not trying to be more clever than the user and it would double the network requests and so slow down the experience. (request something, don't receive data, do another request to show all) - there is too much stuff which could go bad... I'm more for an easy accessible method to switch from "only unread" to "everything" to "only read"

The time-zone seems to be a problem with the api. I have to verify this, but it looks like, the TT-RSS API does no TZ calculation in the API but in the web-frontend... I'll follow this up.

I know about the link-swipe issue. Working on it.

The next version will be delayed, as I'm currently moving to another town. But there will be some nice goodies, like theming support ;)

Cheerz,
MC

Andyt8
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby Andyt8 » 18 Oct 2013, 11:41

Are there some new Information about the Windows 8(.1) Metro App?

GeraldS
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby GeraldS » 28 Jan 2014, 22:30

I have the problem that the app worked fine on the first day, after that I only get the message "Looking for new articles" with the loading animation, but no articles are loaded. I managed once to get it working again by playing around in the settings, but again it stopped working the next day.

Other apps are working fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not a server side issue.

Return to “Development”