MicroRSS unofficial OS X client

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
ankalagon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

MicroRSS unofficial OS X client

Postby ankalagon » 21 Sep 2013, 13:55

Hello everyone,

Recently I have created Tiny Tiny RSS client for Mac OS X and yesterday it got approved in Mac App Store. I would love to know your opinion about it.

App is avalible for free from this page (it requires OS X version 10.8 ): https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/microrss/id709491925?mt=12

If any of you will decide to give it a try please let me know what you think of it. Also english is not my native language so if you find any typos or any other bugs let me know.

The application is not entirely finished. I still have a few things I would like to add in future versions (like support for TTRSS labels and ability to search through articles). If you have any features you would like to see in this app let me know and if they are posible I'll try to add them in next versions.

* Edit 04.06.2015
Because I don't own Apple developer account anymore, MicroRSS is no longer available in the AppStore. I don't have much of a free time (working overtime at my job) so I will take a long break from making any new versions of MicroRSS. If you still want to use it you can download the app from this page: http://mobilegb.eu/micro-rss

* Edit 07.06.2015
If you want to make your own improvements to this app or develop it further you are free to do that, as the source code is now GPLv3: https://bitbucket.org/ankalagon/microrss
Last edited by ankalagon on 07 Jun 2015, 13:24, edited 2 times in total.

joergb
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: MicroRSS unofficial OS X client

Postby joergb » 22 Sep 2013, 15:46

Hi ankalagon,

I'm able to see on my german MacOS 10.8.4 all categories with the nnumber of unread articles but no articles (headlines or text) are shown:(
On startup MicroRSS updates all unread articles an the numbers are shown correct. But after a while I get an error "The request timed out".
Api-Support for the connecting user is enabled;-)

If there is any way to post you a log file: please let me know.

JoergB

ankalagon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ankalagon » 22 Sep 2013, 17:40

Thanks for the info on that error. Unfortunately I haven't thought on any log system :-( . I will try to add some diagnostic features as soon as possible.

What version of Tiny Tiny RSS are you using? Since feeds list looks ok and only articles list is not loading I am thinking that it could be something with an API version (maybe some function or parameter is missing).

pahles
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby pahles » 22 Sep 2013, 18:39

I have the same problem as joergb, the categories are there with the correct counts for the unread articles, but no articles... Clicking on a feed does not update the feed title in the upper right panel.

joergb
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby joergb » 22 Sep 2013, 18:44

Hi ankalagon,

I've found some entries in Console.log; I'll send it as PM to you; hope it'll be ok.

I'm running tt-rss v1.9

JoergB

ankalagon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ankalagon » 23 Sep 2013, 19:52

Finally I think I was able to fix this bug. It appears that TTRSS in version 1.9 wasn't providing article excerpt when using getHeadlines API method. My code wasn't prepared for that and it crashed. This error was related only to TTRSS 1.9 (previous versions and and newest 1.10 seems to work fine). I've made a fix for MicroRSS so now it will work regardless of article excerpt presence in server response.

New version is on its way to the App Store but if you don't want to wait a week for Apple approval you can download it from my server (let me know if it works):
Edit: Link removed. New version is finally in the app store so direct download is no longer needed.

@JoergB many thanks for that console log. If it wasn't for that It would take me days to figure out where to look.
Last edited by ankalagon on 04 Oct 2013, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

pahles
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby pahles » 23 Sep 2013, 22:14

It is working, and looking nice.

Feature request: article sorting within a feed. I would like to be able to read the oldest articles first. Also provide the real time of the post (or fetch) instead of "today" or "yesterday".

Thanks for this!

ankalagon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ankalagon » 24 Sep 2013, 09:59

Thanks for the info. As for the features request, I've added them to my todo list and I promise to include them in the next update.

jianglai
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jianglai » 05 Nov 2013, 21:42

Can you give an example of the Server URL that I should use?

ankalagon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ankalagon » 25 Nov 2013, 21:37

Just enter URL under which your TTRSS is located. If your TTRSS is under http://your-site.com enter exactly it (with http:// at the begining). You don't have to worry about about path to API, becouse if you omit /api/ at the end of the URL it will be added automaticly.

mtk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mtk » 28 Dec 2013, 16:53

Hi ankalagon,

what a gem! Thanks for developing this app!

The only thing I am missing is a widescreen-mode. As most Macs have wide screens, it would enabling using the space better (At least for me).

Edit: Also a nice feature would be to collaps or exand all folders in the feed menu.

Cheers

smeerbartje
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby smeerbartje » 23 Feb 2014, 23:35

Hi, I'm using Readkit for OSX; works perfect with TTRSS (due to Feever plugin).

dbanet
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby dbanet » 24 Feb 2014, 01:04

@ankalagon

Isn't it accidentally written with Qt?

ankalagon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ankalagon » 02 Mar 2014, 18:01

mtk wrote:Hi ankalagon,

what a gem! Thanks for developing this app!

The only thing I am missing is a widescreen-mode. As most Macs have wide screens, it would enabling using the space better (At least for me).

Edit: Also a nice feature would be to collaps or exand all folders in the feed menu.

Cheers

Thanks for your opinion. I am very happy that you like this app. I just have submitted new version of MicroRSS to the App Store. All features that you have requested are implemented in this version. It should go live in a few days.

dbanet wrote:Isn't it accidentally written with Qt?

Nope. It's Cocoa/Objective-C.

RanaExMachina
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby RanaExMachina » 10 Jul 2014, 15:20

It would be great if you could star or share an article in not only in the list of all articles but on the article itself, too.
When I read an article and MicroRSS refreshes all feeds in the background I have to search for it in the whole list first for this article which can be quite difficult. I think it would make more sense to move this buttons to the article because you decide to share or star an article after you read it not when you see its headline.

Return to “Development”