17%

Total votes: 6

marco.musso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

New iOS app: feedsushi

Postby marco.musso » 05 Aug 2014, 17:24

Hi everyone!

This is just to announce the availability of a new iOS (Universal) app for Tiny Tiny RSS called feedsushi !
The app is free for anyone and supports your self-hosted Tiny Tiny RSS and/or the feedsushi.com hosted service (totally optional).

You can find every info on the developer site: http://www.claudiagrilli.it/apps/feedsushi/ along with a nice video of some features.

For feature requests and/or bug reports please use the support form: http://www.claudiagrilli.it/support/contact-form/

Generic discussions about the app are welcome here!

For the side project (the feedsushi.com hosted service) PLEASE use the form at http://www.feedsushi.com/blog/support/
Currently is only available for iOS devices via this app (but will open for everyone, even web only, as soon as I have some spare time).

Please, let us know what you think (we took some time to release the app... buusssyyyy :roll: )!

Happy rss'ing! :D
Last edited by marco.musso on 05 Aug 2014, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Re: New iOS app: feedsushi

Postby JustAMacUser » 05 Aug 2014, 17:57

I haven't tried it yet, but the video and screenshots look nice. In the video loading the feed articles seemed a little slow. One thing I didn't see in the description was offline support. Does the app download and cache articles for offline viewing and then sync back up when it's online? If not, is that a planned feature?

marco.musso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marco.musso » 05 Aug 2014, 18:00

Hi JustAMacUser,

You are right: offline support is planned for the next major version.

aratistern
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby aratistern » 05 Aug 2014, 18:16

The service URL should point to the *directory* of my self hosted TT-RSS installation, right?
Because I cannot login when OTP is enabled, and cannot login when it's disabled...

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 05 Aug 2014, 18:22

I think your hosted service is better discussed offsite, feel free to discuss the app here though.

marco.musso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marco.musso » 05 Aug 2014, 18:41

aratistern wrote:The service URL should point to the *directory* of my self hosted TT-RSS installation, right?
Because I cannot login when OTP is enabled, and cannot login when it's disabled...

OTP is not currently tested, but without it should work (I see that you managed to login). The URL should point to the root of your TTRSS install, without /api.

By kind fox request let's leave these forums free of any feedsushi.com-related discussion please (move you request on the support page on feedsushi.com/blog/support).
Last edited by marco.musso on 05 Aug 2014, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

marco.musso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marco.musso » 05 Aug 2014, 18:45

fox wrote:I think your hosted service is better discussed offsite, feel free to discuss the app here though.

Ok, I edited the first message just to be clear.

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 05 Aug 2014, 18:59

Doesn't look like I can enter a - hyphen symbol in the server settings in either the Account Name or the URL. This is a problem as my installation is on /tt-rss/

marco.musso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marco.musso » 05 Aug 2014, 19:06

Thanks xtaz, you discovered the first bug! Quick ;)
We'll fix that in the next release!

fox

Postby fox » 05 Aug 2014, 19:48

I don't think API supports OTP.

marco.musso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marco.musso » 05 Aug 2014, 20:24

fox wrote:I don't think API supports OTP.

Yep, maybe I could try to add a way to support that in my custom auth plugin and back port in trunk via a PR (if interested). Not anytime soon, sorry.
Or duplicate the path for auth: if accessing via API bypass OTP... kind of sick isn't it? :mrgreen:
But maybe you thought about that and made it that way for a reason, if so of course for me it's ok.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 05 Aug 2014, 20:45

marco.musso wrote:Or duplicate the path for auth: if accessing via API bypass OTP...

I'm not sure how your custom auth plugin handles OTP, but the API sets a constant on line 24:

Code: Select all

define('AUTH_DISABLE_OTP', true);

Having to enter a OTP when using the API seems like a jarring and disjointed experience, to be honest. But that's just my opinion.

On another note, the app doesn't appear to be available in the Canadian App Store, is it restricted by your choice or simply so new it's still rolling out?

fox

Postby fox » 05 Aug 2014, 21:00

API is limited by design so someone can't really screw you using your stolen password, you can always just login to main UI and change it. Having to enter fucking codes on android or whatever sounds like a completely awful idea so this is not happening ever.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 05 Aug 2014, 21:24

fox wrote:API is limited by design so someone can't really screw you using your stolen password ...

Exactly. Which is kind of the point of an API. Other services (e.g. Google, PayPal, etc.) also provide a limited scope of utility in their APIs without requiring a OTP. Like you said, if your account is compromised no one can really take it over, just mess with a few things which you can later fix. I wouldn't use a native app that required me to key in my OTP every time I had re-authenticate, for that trouble I might as well just stick with a web browser.

marco.musso
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marco.musso » 05 Aug 2014, 21:51

JustAMacUser wrote:
fox wrote:API is limited by design so someone can't really screw you using your stolen password ...

Exactly. Which is kind of the point of an API. Other services (e.g. Google, PayPal, etc.) also provide a limited scope of utility in their APIs without requiring a OTP. Like you said, if your account is compromised no one can really take it over, just mess with a few things which you can later fix. I wouldn't use a native app that required me to key in my OTP every time I had re-authenticate, for that trouble I might as well just stick with a web browser.

Roger that, seems reasonable to me.

Return to “Development”