(getFeedTitle(tag name) failed) Message in mobile view

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
ajl_uk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

(getFeedTitle(tag name) failed) Message in mobile view

Postby ajl_uk » 29 Apr 2009, 17:57

Firstly this software is just great!

I noticed this problem which you can see using your Demo as an example. Open an Engadget article using the mobile view. Engadget is clearly shown at the top of the page at this point.
Now select one of the tags for the article and when the list of all articles for that tag is displayed, choose one at random.

Now, instead of Engadget, you will see (getFeedTitle(handhelds) failed) or whatever tag name you chose.

The problem seems to lie within the mobile/functions.php code with the following line

Code: Select all

$feed_title = getFeedTitle($link, $ret_feed_id);

This needs to be $feed_id in this situation, but I'm not sure exactly how it should be implemented. I'm unsure why it can't always be $feed_id to be truthful.
I'm also not sure what triggers the else condition in that section of code so that $feed_id is used.

Really looking forward to the next/previous article links in 1.3.4 btw :D
AJL

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: (getFeedTitle(tag name) failed) Message in mobile view

Postby fox » 30 Apr 2009, 01:30

Nice catch. I would've never noticed that. Fixed in trunk.

This needs to be $feed_id in this situation, but I'm not sure exactly how it should be implemented.

It's actually a lot easier - getFeedTitle() needed to be modified to properly process tag feeds. It does so now.

This needs to be $feed_id in this situation, but I'm not sure exactly how it should be implemented.

This way it would return a title for the actual feed the article belongs to (e.g. Engadget) when it should return the feed you were actually browsing, e.g. the tag feed.

I'm unsure why it can't always be $feed_id to be truthful.

I think that is one of the reasons why. I don't really remember why I needed both, though. It probably was a good reason, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with it. :D

ajl_uk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: (getFeedTitle(tag name) failed) Message in mobile view

Postby ajl_uk » 30 Apr 2009, 16:24

Excellent response time :D I'll take a look at that tonight.

I only noticed this as I'd added some code to the mobile view to display the author for article in a paticular feed and wondered why sometimes my check on the feed name kept failing.

Thanks again!

Return to “Development”