ttrss-reader, an Android client

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
nils.braden
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

ttrss-reader, an Android client

Postby nils.braden » 25 Oct 2010, 12:27

Hi folks,

i am proud to announce the Release of v0.6.4 of ttrss-reader to the Android-Market.
Market-Link: http://market.android.com/search?q=org.ttrssreader

Ttrss-reader for Android was started at code.google.com by J.Devauchelle but as i couldn't reach him for several weeks i forked the project: (see note above for URL)

I implemented some usability features and then started implementing local caching since before EVERY single piece of data was requested from the server, slowing down the browsing a lot. Now i think the program is in a quite usable state.

I would appreciate any ideas what could be improved or bugreports and i'd feel honoured if some of you would like to try this app or even join developement.

Some Screenshots:

Image Image Image

Greetings,
nils
Last edited by nils.braden on 02 Dec 2010, 19:11, edited 3 times in total.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: ttrss-reader, an Android client

Postby fox » 25 Oct 2010, 13:04

Stickied. :)

iss
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iss » 25 Oct 2010, 17:46

At first I had problem with installing - download unsuccessful - but I think it's problem with market.

But after installation I have another problem - when reading feed I get error:UNKNOWN_METHOD.

I can connect to my TT-RSS. Headline shows (0) - I assume it should be unread articles.
I see categories with number of unread.
And finally after choosing feed I get this error:UNKNOWN_METHOD.

I'm on Android 1.5 (unfortunately), HTC Magic.

fox

Postby fox » 25 Oct 2010, 19:31

He's supposedly using several API calls which have just only have been merged into trunk. It's probably a good idea to implement some kind of fallback or at least mention it since as of right now no released tt-rss versions support those calls.

iss
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iss » 25 Oct 2010, 20:59

Just for completeness I want to add one more error.
At first it was random, but after enabling option "always perform a full refresh" it happened after every refresh - I was unable to connect to your TT RSS instance [...]; Error details: "A JSONArray text must start with '[' at character 0 of, Method: getJSONResponseAsArray(String url)"

And I'm using stable 1.4.3.1 TT-RSS. Is new version coming soon? I'm not sure if I want to test git version.

fox

Postby fox » 26 Oct 2010, 12:06

Probably not for a while, and I'm not sure those API calls are going to stay (I have somewhat of an ideological problem with them). You might as well use Git, it's really easy.

iss
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iss » 27 Oct 2010, 10:37

I installed update - 0.6.6 - which as I understood correctly from the website still uses some custom API calls but can live without it.

It's a bit better but still not ok. It shows only one article in feed.
In the feed list it shows correct number of articles next to feed title, but can't display more than one. No error message is displayed.

I'm still on latest stable TT-RSS, didn't switch to git yet.

iss
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iss » 28 Oct 2010, 10:21

It's me again ;)

Updated to 0.6.8 which is supposed to fix one article error, but it doesn't. Still only one article is displayed.
Anyway it's good to know the author is reading this topic.

nils.braden
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nils.braden » 03 Nov 2010, 21:38

Hi folks,

Sry for not responding, somehow i didn't get a notification about your postings. Guess i forgot to tick the box.

As for the API-Calls: Yes, i use the special calls as documented here (https://code.google.com/p/ttrss-reader-fork/wiki/trunk) but I implemented fallback-methods if these Calls are not supported by the API. This didn't work in earlier releases but should be fixed by now. Is it fixed for you, iss?
The methods I implemented for the API are not tested with postgres, i forgot about it and just found out about it because another user posted some strange error-logs i couldn't explain to myself. If these methods (or some of them) will stay they should definitely be tested with postgres but if you throw them out there is no need to do so.

edit: see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=688&p=3184#p3184

Greetings,
nils

ps: not sure. should we move this to another thread?
Last edited by nils.braden on 04 Nov 2010, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Nov 2010, 22:02

I'd like more info on which methods are borked with Postgres and definitely would like them fixed before next release. :)

Also, yeah, creating another thread for API discussion is probably for the best as to not flood your application thread with irrelevant stuff.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=688

iss
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iss » 04 Nov 2010, 00:11

Unfortunately even with 0.7.2 it still fetches only one article.
It would be good if someone else could confirm this in case if there are some special circumstances for fallback not working correctly.

BTW The title bar on main view shows "Tiny Tiny RSS Reader (0)" despite there are unread articles showed next to categories.

nils.braden
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nils.braden » 04 Nov 2010, 00:20

Thats strange, i thought i had resolved this issue.

edit: drop it. i can reproduce the issue. must've missed something.

Can you acquire the output of logcat? Its possible with the App aLogcat (from the market) or if you got usb-drivers and the android-SDK installed you can get it by typing "adb logcat" on the konsole while your phone is wired via USB. I have attached a build of release 0.7.2 with enabled stacktrace-output to this post. Could you install this, start it and try to read some feeds, just some clicking here and there. Afterwards you can start aLogcat and save the log-output to sdcard or something.

edit: Well, i didnt attach it because the extension .apk is not allowed. I have put it on google-code: https://ttrss-reader-fork.googlecode.co ... _debug.apk

Greetings,
nils

fox

Postby fox » 04 Nov 2010, 01:01

Allow me to note that reading this post made me hate PHP a bit less. :oops:

nils.braden
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nils.braden » 04 Nov 2010, 01:42

I just put it in the market, can you please try to update to 0.7.3 and try it again please? Hope its working now... :)

edit @php: lol!

iss
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iss » 04 Nov 2010, 10:11

0.7.3 works great! All articles are displayed now.

Return to “Development”