Request for info on what's it like

sandebert
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Request for info on what's it like

Postby sandebert » 27 Mar 2013, 18:55

Hi,

This is not a request for a feature, per se. It is a request to fox to write something about what's it like since Google decided to kill Reader. I'm curious, from several perspectives, what this has meant for TT-RSS in terms of development speed, recognition, feature and support requests etc. I understand the developer behind Newsblur is now trying to build a business around his product, is this something on the roadmap for TT-RSS? And all related subjects, as I am curious and interested.

Apologies if this has already been published somewhere. I couldn't find anything on the topic, but I would appreciate a link if it's been posted somewhere already.

Thanks

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Re: Request for info on what's it like

Postby blainemono » 27 Mar 2013, 19:17

Well for one thing we had (and still have) an influx of stupid ass posters with stupid ass requests on this forum. For something more in-depth you'll have to pester fox, it's doubtful he'll bother unless you promise him a literature credit for this essay though. Or money.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 27 Mar 2013, 19:18

Indeed, the proverbial bar is being lowered every day.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 27 Mar 2013, 19:22

Your bar is lowered in a shitty way, please lower your bar more like Google Reader did. I have bar-lowering standards for crying out loud!

fox

Postby fox » 27 Mar 2013, 19:24

Yeah google lowers the bar like nobody else.

sandebert
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sandebert » 27 Mar 2013, 20:29

Understood. But has it been all bad with the influx of new users?

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 27 Mar 2013, 21:07

Who said anything about bad?

Stupid people are amusing; also there are quite a bit of decent new contributors that offer valuable bug reports and feature/pull requests.

Keep in mind that tt-rss is fox's pet project, not some idiotic attempt to leverage synergies and monetize the feed technology like feedly or whatever - so there is no pressure and no obligations involved. It's all fun and games.

sandebert
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sandebert » 28 Mar 2013, 11:39

blainemono wrote:Who said anything about bad? Stupid people are amusing

Sorry, I misunderstood. In my experience most people don't enjoy "stupid ass posters with stupid ass requests", but I'm glad you find that situation amusing. :)

blainemono wrote:also there are quite a bit of decent new contributors that offer valuable bug reports and feature/pull requests.

Yes, I was wondering about that. I haven't really been involved with TT-RSS before Google killed Reader, but I am somewhat surprised by the activity here. In my phone I see new versions being churned out almost daily, and in the forums and issue tracker I see fox doing the same thing with the webapp. Has the influx changed the pace of development a lot, or is this pretty much business as usual here?

blainemono wrote:Keep in mind that tt-rss is fox's pet project, not some idiotic attempt to leverage synergies and monetize the feed technology like feedly or whatever - so there is no pressure and no obligations involved. It's all fun and games.

Understood. And that is a very nice position to have, if one has the possibility!

A question to blainemono: You are quite vocal on this topic. I am sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I was under the impression that TT-RSS was pretty much a one-man project (with occasional pull requests from others) run by fox. What is your relation to fox and the project? I'm simply asking because you seem to have more insight into the topic than the average user probably would have.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 28 Mar 2013, 17:47

sandebert wrote: Has the influx changed the pace of development a lot, or is this pretty much business as usual here?

It's a tricky question. Developement pace fluctuates a lot, sometimes even slows down to a halt when fox actually has anything remotely worthwhile to do with his life.

Right now we're experiencing a surge of activity, naturally, although how it compares to past, non-Google-related surges I honestly can't say.

sandebert wrote:A question to blainemono: You are quite vocal on this topic. I am sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I was under the impression that TT-RSS was pretty much a one-man project (with occasional pull requests from others) run by fox. What is your relation to fox and the project?

My relation to this project is as follows: I write rude and hurtful comments at this forum. Don't know what came over in this thread though.

fox

Postby fox » 28 Mar 2013, 18:03

>My relation to this project is as follows: I write rude and hurtful comments at this forum. Don't know what came over in this thread though.

It's his job. A duty, even.

Return to “Everything else”