Open in background tab (Chrome/Opera only)

Post plugins and custom CSS snippets here
yelfathi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Open in background tab (Chrome/Opera only)

Postby yelfathi » 16 May 2013, 16:28

Sorry it does not work by putting y instead of *o. The shortcut works but when I left-click no background!

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 17 May 2013, 14:11

yelfathi wrote:Sorry it does not work by putting y instead of *o. The shortcut works but when I left-click no background!

"The shortcut works" — do you mean that the Shift-o hotkey works as expected and opens the link in a background tab, but when you left-click a title, it opens in a foreground tab?

yelfathi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby yelfathi » 17 May 2013, 16:24

Exactly, in fact now I am using only the shortcut.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 17 May 2013, 19:01

yelfathi wrote:Exactly, in fact now I am using only the shortcut.

OK, well, then after this little detour we can say that the plugin works exactly as it should :-) .

The plugin is not supposed to modify the regular left-click action. It only registers a new hotkey (keyboard shortcut) to open in background. If you want to click on an item title to open it in background, the browser already provides this as with any regular hyperlink: just middle-click (i.e. third mouse button, i.e. nowadays: click the scroll wheel), or Ctrl+left-click, or whatever the browser implements.

yelfathi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby yelfathi » 17 May 2013, 20:48

My mistake sorry for bothering you I thought that your plugin replaced the classical left-click in TT-RSS with the Ctrl Left-click ;).

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 17 May 2013, 23:22

yelfathi wrote:My mistake sorry for bothering you I thought that your plugin replaced the classical left-click in TT-RSS with the Ctrl Left-click ;).

At least now anyone else with plugin problems can follow the error searching algorithm laid out in the thread :-) .

private_meta
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby private_meta » 28 May 2013, 01:56

Any idea how to get this working for Firefox?

marcin.g
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marcin.g » 06 Jun 2013, 14:07

The extension seems to work great, though I wonder if it's at all possible to add option to open all (unread) articles in new tabs with one click?

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 06 Jun 2013, 19:25

private_meta wrote:Any idea how to get this working for Firefox?

Nope. It's not entirely clear why it doesn't work, as it is quite consistent with the Javascript reference, but either it is an intended safeguard against sites using "pop-unders", or it is the result of an incomplete Javascript implementation.

If anyone has data on whether or not it works in IE, feel free to post. Could be interesting to know for someone.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 06 Jun 2013, 23:27

marcin.g wrote:The extension seems to work great, though I wonder if it's at all possible to add option to open all (unread) articles in new tabs with one click?

I won't use it myself, but I added an attempt at this functionality to the latest Github version. Note what the `README` says about Chrome support and explicitly granting permission the TT-RSS instance domain to open pop-up windows.

This got me thinking more about the Firefox issue, but even if I completely disable the internal pop-up blocker, it doesn't help. I've only done some rudimentary error searching, but the JS function seems to be firing correctly. If I remove the Ctrl emulation to simulate just a "regular" left-click, it works as expected. I've seen other mentions of this technique not working in Firefox, but no solutions to this or alternate methods to achieve the same function.

marcin.g
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby marcin.g » 11 Jun 2013, 18:02

You are my hero phz :) thanks for quick reply - it works really really great

7duck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby 7duck » 15 Jun 2013, 20:40

For Firefox, if you don't mind opening all tabs in the background, you can uncheck/disable via TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> TABS -> "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately"

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 16 Jun 2013, 00:30

7duck wrote:For Firefox, if you don't mind opening all tabs in the background, you can uncheck/disable via TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> TABS -> "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately"

I have that unchecked by default, but it doesn't affect this matter for me.

There is however the `browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground` option in `about:config`. Setting that to `true` will open all new tabs in the background. Perhaps it was this you thought of, or it has changed over the versions. With this enabled, the regular TT-RSS "Open article in new tab" hotkey will open in the background, but there is no way (that I know of, at least) to enable this for just a specific site.

The check button you mentioned controls the `browser.tabs.loadInBackground` setting, but that seems to have more or less the opposite effect: it is unchecked by default, but if checked, all new tabs are opened in the foreground, even if you e.g. middle-click.

7duck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby 7duck » 16 Jun 2013, 01:37

You're correct. I had confused `browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground` with the options tabs setting -- which I had manually set years ago. And it seems this option is only accessible via about:config and not via any of the settings menu.

toomyzoom
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby toomyzoom » 20 Aug 2013, 02:40

Can you make it emulate what open_in_new_window use and not mouse click event? I can't use Chrome (which is a joke) or Opera (too bloated like Chrome). Open in new window works in firefox.

Return to “Themes and plugins”