Learnfilter intelligent filtering plugin

Post plugins and custom CSS snippets here
Anchakor
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Learnfilter intelligent filtering plugin

Postby Anchakor » 05 May 2013, 18:33

Learnfilter is a intelligent filtering plugin for a Tiny Tiny RSS feed reader.

User is presented with automatically extracted keywords for each brief article abstract, which he can rate. Those ratings are then used for filtering out articles which are not interesting to the user. (Works well only with english text)

This plugin was develped as a part of my AI course in university. I would be grateful for anyone willing to try it in the following week to test the plugin and fill out a simple and short (7 questions) survey based on their experience: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1TbBoFZ ... k/viewform

There is an installation with open registrations at: http://tt-rss.mud.cz/

The plugin works by querying a backend python REST server doing the NLP and rating database stuff, which can take some time, so be aware loading a new feed will take significatly more time then you are used to, however normal functionality is fairly speedy, due to caching.

If you want to run the plugin yourself on your tt-rss installation, get it at: https://github.com/Anchakor/prefextract

Anchakor
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Learnfilter intelligent filtering plugin

Postby Anchakor » 07 May 2013, 17:52

If anyone is considering to try it out, please do it and fill out the survey till sunday.
I have to say so far I am quite dismayed by the lack of interest, please if you have a bit of time, I would be very grateful for participating, unfortunately I have nothing else to offer, else of account on the tt-rss installation which I expect to leave running as long as viable.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 07 May 2013, 22:37

I would like to be encouraging. It really sounds interesting, but being Python may be a problem for many of us with our crappy hostings

Anchakor
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Anchakor » 08 May 2013, 02:47

Thank you, I really need the survey data, perhaps you could try it a bit on the installation I set up? registration is open: http://tt-rss.mud.cz/

orphean
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby orphean » 08 May 2013, 04:54

davidm wrote:I would like to be encouraging. It really sounds interesting, but being Python may be a problem for many of us with our crappy hostings

Get better hosting then. You can get a vps for the price of a shared hosting account and do whatever the fuck you want. There's really no excuse and trying to discourage someone doing something really cool because you run ttrss in an unsupported environment is p. lame. hth.

Anchakor: This thing is fucking awesome.

Anchakor
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Anchakor » 08 May 2013, 08:07

Orphaen: Thanks. I don't think Davidm meant that as a discouragement, no need to get emotional...

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 08 May 2013, 12:14

orphean wrote:
davidm wrote:I would like to be encouraging. It really sounds interesting, but being Python may be a problem for many of us with our crappy hostings

Get better hosting then. You can get a vps for the price of a shared hosting account and do whatever the fuck you want. There's really no excuse and trying to discourage someone doing something really cool because you run ttrss in an unsupported environment is p. lame. hth.

Anchakor: This thing is fucking awesome.

In fact, I was trying to be encouraging, as, like, the first sentence states. I was trying to explain the possible lack of interest.

In the other hand, yes, in my country (with tech support in my language and timezone) I can get a VPS for 5x the price of shared hosting.

Lame, yeah.

disconn3ct
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby disconn3ct » 08 May 2013, 17:09

Not sure which language or timezone, but RH has support basically everywhere and they have Openshift free hosting with python. I have a quickstart for TTRSS at github. (The sphinx branch sets up search/sphinx automatically and is updated to master every day or so. The quickstart's master branch uses releases only.)

Once it is set up, you can manage it via ssh or via git - it will create a tree for your specific instance automatically, so you aren't limited to my updates unless you want to be.

Centinel
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Centinel » 08 May 2013, 17:55

This looks interesting. I'm setting up an instance of Tiny Tiny RSS for my LUG, and this may be a feature they'd appreciate. I'll help test it out.

What's going on with your instance's interface, though? The star and publish icons next each article have been replaced by text.

EDIT: Ah, so it's a mimetypes problem. Just had to deal with it myself.
Last edited by Centinel on 08 May 2013, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Saliency
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Saliency » 08 May 2013, 18:43

Very cool Anchakor I will try fill out your survey for Sunday.

skeptix
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby skeptix » 08 May 2013, 19:37

That's a killer feature. I will be testing it and filling the survey. My first reaction is that it could be less complex for the user, with just two buttons "like" and "dislike" (like last.fm does). If I dislike many articles that got the keyword "moon", then "moon" is added to the blacklist, something like that.

Anchakor
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Anchakor » 09 May 2013, 11:34

Centinel: Thank you, that led me fix it on my install too, seems like on that machine the lighttpd didn't have a mimetype for svg yet.

skeptix: That option is there - the last pseudo-keyword "[all]" which distributes the +/- rating between all of the keywords.

Thanks everyone for support!

Anchakor
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Anchakor » 13 May 2013, 02:33

Please if you have tried the plugin, fill out the survey as soon as possible.
If you didn't try it yet, there is still time until tuesday evening to try it and fill out the survey, but that is the hard deadline.
Please do so, so far I got very few survey responses.

Return to “Themes and plugins”