Reeder (iOS) integration with TT-RSS (via Fever API)

Post plugins and custom CSS snippets here
aki
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Reeder (iOS) integration with TT-RSS (via Fever API)

Postby aki » 29 Jun 2013, 13:27

akrabat wrote:I have submitted a patch to the github repository that fixes the inability for some people to mark individual items as read: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrs ... ll/3/files

Regards,

Rob...

It works for me too!!

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 29 Jun 2013, 14:27

akrabat wrote:I have submitted a patch to the github repository that fixes the inability for some people to mark individual items as read: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrs ... ll/3/files

Regards,

Rob...

Thanks for the great help and fix Rob. You are awesome. :) :!: I've done the merge an the current version on github should fix the problems for all Mr.Reader users. I marked it as v1.4.5

Github: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrss-fever-plugin

Download: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrs ... master.zip

sledgehammer89
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sledgehammer89 » 29 Jun 2013, 14:43

Yes, looks very good :) :) :) Great, thank you! Now I'm back to TT-RSS (used it for many years) and have nearly the same workflow as with Google Reader and my favourite native RSS apps.

dburr
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby dburr » 30 Jun 2013, 01:18

Well I woke up to several dozen new items in my various feeds today, and I read them, switching randomly between Mr. Reader on the iPad, Reeder on the iPhone, and the web app on my computer. Read/unread statuses synced over perfectly and everything seems to be working fine.

moronim
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby moronim » 01 Jul 2013, 22:28

One question I have...

Does the fever API only sync un-read articles with a client such as Reeder or Mr. Reader? To me, I'd think that even articles marked as read would show up in the articles list after a sync, but they don't.

I experience this on both Reeder (iPhone) and Mr. Reader (iPad). I'm using v1.4.5 fever plugin, running tt-rss 1.8 & a mysql DB. I'm not sure if this is how the functionality was designed, but figured I'd ask...

XianPalin
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby XianPalin » 01 Jul 2013, 22:56

murphy wrote:

Regards,

Rob...

Thanks for the great help and fix Rob. You are awesome. :) :!: I've done the merge an the current version on github should fix the problems for all Mr.Reader users. I marked it as v1.4.5

Github: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrss-fever-plugin

Download: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrs ... master.zip

FYI - you aren't changing the version in the init.php file, so it's still showing up as 1.2 when you go into preferences. It would probably be ideal to change the version in the about() function in init.php so it's showing up to the user. I couldn't tell if I was up to date or not because that hadn't changed.

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 02 Jul 2013, 02:03

moronim wrote:One question I have...

Does the fever API only sync un-read articles with a client such as Reeder or Mr. Reader? To me, I'd think that even articles marked as read would show up in the articles list after a sync, but they don't.

I experience this on both Reeder (iPhone) and Mr. Reader (iPad). I'm using v1.4.5 fever plugin, running tt-rss 1.8 & a mysql DB. I'm not sure if this is how the functionality was designed, but figured I'd ask...

Yes, thats normal. Also it's the same behaviour on Fever.

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 02 Jul 2013, 02:03

XianPalin wrote:FYI - you aren't changing the version in the init.php file, so it's still showing up as 1.2 when you go into preferences. It would probably be ideal to change the version in the about() function in init.php so it's showing up to the user. I couldn't tell if I was up to date or not because that hadn't changed.

Thanks i fixed it on github. ;) I missed this one.

frameskip
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby frameskip » 03 Jul 2013, 00:47

First of all, I wanted to thank the devs for their work on this plugin. I'd never used Reeder before, but this works very nicely and allows for locally caching content on my phone. :D

While I'm not a developer, I have a quick question about the way the plugin has been developed. I quickly looked at the source, and it has a lot of direct SQL queries. It seems that these could be "fragile" if the tt-rss database schema were to change between versions. Is this method in place because there are aspects of the Fever API that can't be handled by the existing tt-rss API?

Cheers.

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 03 Jul 2013, 14:24

frameskip wrote:First of all, I wanted to thank the devs for their work on this plugin. I'd never used Reeder before, but this works very nicely and allows for locally caching content on my phone. :D

While I'm not a developer, I have a quick question about the way the plugin has been developed. I quickly looked at the source, and it has a lot of direct SQL queries. It seems that these could be "fragile" if the tt-rss database schema were to change between versions. Is this method in place because there are aspects of the Fever API that can't be handled by the existing tt-rss API?

I try to answer, since i'm developing the current verion ;) I never actually loked at the tt-rss api, but i think it i should and compare the sql with the api. Ok, i didn't program the sql's, so it may be a future option to migrate it to the api, but i think the sql's may be quicker ;) I took a note on this. Thanks for the information.

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 03 Jul 2013, 15:08

Yeah I didn't like the look of this either when I first tried out this plugin. Direct SQL makes me think it'll break in the future, or maybe conflict with something tt-rss itself does, or not tidy up the database properly when you delete a post, etc. etc.

If you are developing this going forward (and I salute you for that!) I have a couple of other niggles I would like to ask about. Is it possible you could alter the plugin so that it allows it to work when symlinked? I like to keep the tt-rss/plugins/ directory clean and I have another local directory (tt-rss/local/plugins/) I install all my own extra stuff into. I then symlink the plugins & themes etc into the main tt-rss directories. But this plugin doesn't like that. I assume because of the use of ../ type things. Might be better to do something like $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/blah'? Also favicons on a lot of my feeds don't work too well. They either don't show a favicon, or they show the wrong one. I guess this might not be fixable as I assume what's happening is reeder is trying to load the favicon direct from the website rather than using the one in tt-rss? Although it did used to work fine when using the google reader API, so I'm not totally sure on this one.

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 03 Jul 2013, 17:09

xtaz wrote:Yeah I didn't like the look of this either when I first tried out this plugin. Direct SQL makes me think it'll break in the future, or maybe conflict with something tt-rss itself does, or not tidy up the database properly when you delete a post, etc. etc.

If you are developing this going forward (and I salute you for that!) I have a couple of other niggles I would like to ask about. Is it possible you could alter the plugin so that it allows it to work when symlinked? I like to keep the tt-rss/plugins/ directory clean and I have another local directory (tt-rss/local/plugins/) I install all my own extra stuff into. I then symlink the plugins & themes etc into the main tt-rss directories. But this plugin doesn't like that. I assume because of the use of ../ type things. Might be better to do something like $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/blah'? Also favicons on a lot of my feeds don't work too well. They either don't show a favicon, or they show the wrong one. I guess this might not be fixable as I assume what's happening is reeder is trying to load the favicon direct from the website rather than using the one in tt-rss? Although it did used to work fine when using the google reader API, so I'm not totally sure on this one.

Did you try the current version? 1.4.5? Should be fixing the symlink problems...

Get it from here: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrs ... n/releases

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 03 Jul 2013, 17:42

murphy wrote:Did you try the current version? 1.4.5? Should be fixing the symlink problems...

Get it from here: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrs ... n/releases

Admittedly I didn't. Shame on me. I kinda of assumed that all you had fixed was the Mr. Reader sync issues. Didn't realise you had solved other issues as well. I'll check it out :D

*edit* OK. I just checked out the latest source from git head. Don't like releases with things like this, prefer contributing to testing of trunk code. You're right, it works a treat with symlinks. Thanks, I should have tried this out before commenting. However the favicon thing is still slightly annoying. A lot of the feeds are missing the favicon. Not sure if this is something missing from the fever API that was in the google API? Guessing there's also no "read articles" sync.

I've also just noticed the other thing that I had noticed the first time I used this plugin. Some feeds don't load the embedded images properly and just show an empty image container. I need to do some more testing to try and work out why.

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 03 Jul 2013, 20:39

xtaz wrote:*edit* OK. I just checked out the latest source from git head. Don't like releases with things like this, prefer contributing to testing of trunk code. You're right, it works a treat with symlinks. Thanks, I should have tried this out before commenting. However the favicon thing is still slightly annoying. A lot of the feeds are missing the favicon. Not sure if this is something missing from the fever API that was in the google API? Guessing there's also no "read articles" sync.

I've also just noticed the other thing that I had noticed the first time I used this plugin. Some feeds don't load the embedded images properly and just show an empty image container. I need to do some more testing to try and work out why.

No problem. You are welcome. Also FYI the release page is for users who like to get a version number to get a reference for debugging etc. The current 1.4.5 is the current master and it's easy to find. The release tags are only markers in the master branch. The release page also gives the non programmer some insight what is going on.

The symlink problem was fixed from another user and i incorperated it and modified it a little so it also function with my symlinks ;) I symlinkd the plugins/fever to my root of the server with /fever.

Regarding to the image loading problem. Same here, but it seems a problem with the feeds afaik, but i have an eye on it. When i click the readability icon on the top bar in Reeder it's mostly fixed, which i also use to load the complete feed content for reading snipped feeds. If you got some idea how to fix it, i will happily integrate it in the plugin on github.

Favicons... hmm on my phone all things are alright, but on tinytiny webpage they are not ok. I don't think it's a problem with Reeder or the plugin. I think it's more a problem with TTRSS, but i don't know and i ignore it most of the time. And there are not read artikels. You can starr the articles if it's importent. :)

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 03 Jul 2013, 21:33

murphy wrote:Regarding to the image loading problem. Same here, but it seems a problem with the feeds afaik, but i have an eye on it. When i click the readability icon on the top bar in Reeder it's mostly fixed, which i also use to load the complete feed content for reading snipped feeds. If you got some idea how to fix it, i will happily integrate it in the plugin on github

Been playing around. I might be wrong, need to do some more testing. But switching off image caching for unread and starred items in the fever account settings, followed by clicking the cache, clear image cache button seems to work. The images appear then for previous posts that didn't have the image before. Need to wait for some new posts to come in to see if it works with unread stuff. If that is the case then maybe it's something like specific feeds have image URLs with weird characters in the filenames and maybe when they are locally cached they are not escaped properly, or double escaped or something like that and the filename ends up different.

Return to “Themes and plugins”