Reeder (iOS) integration with TT-RSS (via Fever API)

Post plugins and custom CSS snippets here
morsedl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Reeder (iOS) integration with TT-RSS (via Fever API)

Postby morsedl » 22 Jun 2013, 11:20

Hi Folks!

Just thought I'd mention:

I installed APC on the shared virtual server I rent and upon which I run tt-rss -- that is, a low-end, minimal resource Ubuntu 11.04 LTS server running on top of OpenVZ -- and doing so has RATHER NOTABLY speed up tt-rss for me. (I also run owncloud, another PHP-based software, and APC has notably speed it up as well.)

For those not familiar, APC stands for "Alternative PHP Cache" and is an opcode (byte code) caching and optimizing mechanism that can speed up PHP sites by 3x or more. It is freely available and open source, and is quite easy to add to an Apache2 webserver (and probably other webservers as well).

I followed the simple instructions here:

http://sam.bitmorse.com/posts/install-and-enable-alternative-php-cache-apc-on-ubuntu-12.04-lts/

which are for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but worked for me just fine on Ubuntu 11.04 LTS.

I was finding tt-rss not as responsive as Google Reader, but now, with APC, my low-end server seems to send tt-rss responses as fast or even faster than Google ever did.

Cheers!
Doug

morsedl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby morsedl » 22 Jun 2013, 11:33

Turns out there's an Ubuntu package for apc -- called php-apc -- that I probably just could have installed by running:

sudo apt-get install php-apc

So, that might be faster for some folks if they want this extension.

sledgehammer89
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sledgehammer89 » 26 Jun 2013, 22:05

Thanks for this great plugin! ReadKit (Mac) and Reeder (iPhone) works very nice :-)

FYI, just tried Mr. Reader 2.0 (released today) which comes now with Fever support, but it crashes when accessing Fever plugin for TT-RSS.

dburr
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby dburr » 27 Jun 2013, 00:50

sledgehammer89 wrote:Thanks for this great plugin! ReadKit (Mac) and Reeder (iPhone) works very nice :-)

FYI, just tried Mr. Reader 2.0 (released today) which comes now with Fever support, but it crashes when accessing Fever plugin for TT-RSS.

Yeah, that's a bummer, as I would really like to use TTRSS as my RSS solution, and on the iPad, Mr. Reader is my preferred RSS reader. I wonder if this is really a bug with Mr. Reader, or if the plugin doesn't 100% correctly emulate the Fever protocol which is causing the crash (which is something that can be fixed)?

mjturner
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mjturner » 27 Jun 2013, 15:22

dburr wrote:Yeah, that's a bummer, as I would really like to use TTRSS as my RSS solution, and on the iPad, Mr. Reader is my preferred RSS reader. I wonder if this is really a bug with Mr. Reader, or if the plugin doesn't 100% correctly emulate the Fever protocol which is causing the crash (which is something that can be fixed)?

According to the Mr Reader FAQ:
This plugin is written especially for Reeder and it seems that the response of some API calls are not exactly the same as the ones from a real Fever server (e.g. returns strings instead of numbers for the groupd id etc.).

Looks like it should be possible to fix the TT-RSS plugin to be 100% compatible with the "official" Fever API - now all we need is for someone to do it :)

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 27 Jun 2013, 16:01

sledgehammer89 wrote:FYI, just tried Mr. Reader 2.0 (released today) which comes now with Fever support, but it crashes when accessing Fever plugin for TT-RSS.

I'm currently fixing the Fever Plugin for Mr. Reader 2.0. There are some odds i'm looking into it. Current state is: I can view all items including starred items, but cannot currently mark the items as read or similar. Have some patience as i only have limited time... :) When i got the marking of read items ready, i will post the fixed plugin here... ;)

morsedl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby morsedl » 27 Jun 2013, 16:42

@dburr: Great question, and you might be able to figure that our for yourself, or possibly at least narrow it down greatly for the developer.

This Fever plugin may be able to produce some debugging output -- I've not looked at the code and thus don't know -- and even if it doesn't it'd be pretty easy to add some. But even without all that, especially if reading and slightly modifying source code is not your thing, what CAN help is to check your webserver's (e.g., Apache 2, nginx, etc) access and error log files, being systematic about it.

Have two terminals open, one to monitor the relevant access log file and one to monitor the relevant error log file (probably best accomplished with 'tail -f', for example, 'tail -f access.log' in one terminal and 'tail -f error.log'). Then try using Mr. Reader, and see what happens (this obviously best done when little or no other traffic is hitting your webserver). If it's possible, see if you can get Mr. Reader to crash in different ways, that is, if the Mr. Reader doesn't crash immediately but you can actually do something within it before it crashs, try to get it to crash in different ways (esp. if those ways see relevant to the Fever API interaction with tt-rrs) -- again each time monitoring the two log files while doing so.

The information you generate from this relatively simple little experiment might yield some useful information, perhaps useful enough to make the difference between the developer ("fox" here, I believe) deciding to tackle this now versus later (or perhaps ever).

dburr wrote:Yeah, that's a bummer, as I would really like to use TTRSS as my RSS solution, and on the iPad, Mr. Reader is my preferred RSS reader. I wonder if this is really a bug with Mr. Reader, or if the plugin doesn't 100% correctly emulate the Fever protocol which is causing the crash (which is something that can be fixed)?

laurion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby laurion » 27 Jun 2013, 18:03

Regarding Mr. Reader:

They seem to be quite aware of TTRSS, as their website says that at current the standard TTRSS API is incompatible with Mr. Reader. And the fever plugin currently has the above mentioned issues.

Too bad, I was hoping to use it with TTRSS as well.

murphy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby murphy » 27 Jun 2013, 20:17

Importent:
I'm currently trying to fix the Fever API for TTRSS with Mr.Reader, but there are some small odds, so that Mr.Reader currently cannot mark the items as read or starred. Please have some patience.

sledgehammer89
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sledgehammer89 » 27 Jun 2013, 22:25

@Murphy: Great! Thank you very much :)

morsedl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby morsedl » 27 Jun 2013, 22:44

@Murphy: I second that 'Great!'. I prefer Reeder over Mr. Reader, as it's clean and simple and meet my needs fine. But, as we all probably know, Reeder for iPad does not support the Fever API, even though Reeder for iPhone does. The Reeder software developer has stated that the next Reeder for iPad release will support the Fever API (and likely in the exact same way), but in case that doesn't happen, it's great that Mr. Reader will soon be a viable alternative for the iPad format. So, woo-hoo and mucho gracias!

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 27 Jun 2013, 22:55

morsedl wrote:The Reeder software developer has stated that the next Reeder for iPad release will support the Fever API (and likely in the exact same way), but in case that doesn't happen

It has happened.... https://twitter.com/reederapp/status/35 ... 24/photo/1

morsedl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby morsedl » 27 Jun 2013, 23:06

@xtaz: oh, sweet! thanks for passing that on to this forum!

xtaz wrote:
morsedl wrote:The Reeder software developer has stated that the next Reeder for iPad release will support the Fever API (and likely in the exact same way), but in case that doesn't happen

It has happened.... https://twitter.com/reederapp/status/35 ... 24/photo/1

canon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby canon » 27 Jun 2013, 23:06

I'm getting
Query failed []: c
when I try to change the password. Tried both v1.1 and v1.2. I'm hosted on Heroku with Postgresql. Any fix for this?

akrabat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby akrabat » 28 Jun 2013, 00:09

I've stated playing with getting Mr. Reader working with TT-RSS too. Making it read from the API was reasonably easy - just make all the id fields in the response integers.

The tricky bit will be dealing with marking as read. This because Mr. Reader doesn't use the API, but rather uses Fever's web interface instead. It does this by taking advantage of the fact that Fever's API endpoint is the website itself. With a bit of help from Charles Proxy, I can see what's going on now and have emailed the developer to ask him for some further information about Mr. Reader's Fever integration.

Regards,

Rob...

Return to “Themes and plugins”