Failure after upgrade

If you run tt-rss on an officially unsupported platform (shared hosting, Windows, etc.) post here
MaxSupernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Failure after upgrade

Postby MaxSupernova » 16 Jul 2013, 16:13

Hi folks,

I'm running TinyTinyRss 1.8 on a shared host with LunarPages. It's been running fine for a couple of months now and I love it.

However, my shared host (lunarpages) just upgraded mysql from 5.1 to 5.5, and they seem to have done some other messing around at the same time.

After this process, I am getting the error:

Code: Select all

Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: Premature end of data (mysqlnd_wireprotocol.c:553) in /home/gehma3/public_html/wonderfulpages/rss/classes/db/mysqli.php on line 9

Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: OK packet 1 bytes shorter than expected in /home/gehma3/public_html/wonderfulpages/rss/classes/db/mysqli.php on line 9

Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: (HY000/2000): mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file in /home/gehma3/public_html/wonderfulpages/rss/classes/db/mysqli.php on line 9
Unable to connect to database (as gehma3_rss to , database gehma3_rss): mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file
Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: Premature end of data (mysqlnd_wireprotocol.c:553) in /home/gehma3/public_html/wonderfulpages/rss/classes/db/mysqli.php on line 9

My server is running PHP 5.3.26, and I have verified this with phpinfo().

I have connected via an SQL client as the database user for this application and run the SET PASSWORD commands as indicated. According to the status page on PHPMyAdmin, OLD PASSWORDS is set to off on my MySQL server. This had no effect.

I do not have access to my my.cnf file.

I think I have to get their support techs to do something, but I need to know exactly what to ask them to do.

Can anyone help? I think I've tried to resolve this on my own as far as I can, and now I need to call in the big guns.

Thanks,
--Kirby

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Failure after upgrade

Postby fox » 16 Jul 2013, 18:25

I'm not sure how your mysql problem is related to tt-rss.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 16 Jul 2013, 19:59

MaxSupernova wrote:I think I have to get their support techs to do something, but I need to know exactly what to ask them to do.

Show them the error message as stated in this thread. They will (hopefully) know what to do, since this should affect all their customers' (at least their old ones) MySQL connections via PHP. It is completely unrelated to TT-RSS in itself: it is a general issue not allowing you to login until the password hashes in the MySQL user data table has been updated to use a more secure algorithm.

Googling "mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication." gives plenty of information.

MaxSupernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby MaxSupernova » 16 Jul 2013, 20:06

fox wrote:I'm not sure how your mysql problem is related to tt-rss.

I was attempting to fix everything I could that I can control (including the install of tt-rss) before I handed it off to the admins there, including getting opinions from the folks who know this the best..

Sorry to have bothered you.

MaxSupernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby MaxSupernova » 17 Jul 2013, 00:19

I just received this from support:

The issue appears to have been caused by your script using the old password authentication method to access the MySQL database server. The new upgrade does not support this. You can try removing and re-adding the MySQL user in your cPanel under the MySQL Manager. Once completed, please be sure to reassigned the MySQL user to the database. Then, please adjust the configuration file accordingly.

I've done as they requested and it didn't help.

Is there any way to update the authentication method that tt-rss uses, or is this now a deadlock between my mysql install that uses the new method and my tt-rss install that uses the old method?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 17 Jul 2013, 04:51

tt-rss uses stock PHP functions to connect, I have no idea what is they are talking about.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 17 Jul 2013, 05:02

MaxSupernova wrote:

I just received this from support:

The issue appears to have been caused by your script using the old password authentication method to access the MySQL database server. The new upgrade does not support this. You can try removing and re-adding the MySQL user in your cPanel under the MySQL Manager. Once completed, please be sure to reassigned the MySQL user to the database. Then, please adjust the configuration file accordingly.

I've done as they requested and it didn't help.

Is there any way to update the authentication method that tt-rss uses, or is this now a deadlock between my mysql install that uses the new method and my tt-rss install that uses the old method?

It is still not a TT-RSS issue, regardless of their somewhat ambiguous wording.

The TT-RSS database user (and probably others, if they have been created during the 5.1 era) has its password hash saved with a method that produces 16 characters, but it needs to be saved with a new and improved method that uses 41 characters, as per the Google results. By the response from your hoster it seems like you have administrative access to your own MySQL instance, and not just a user on a general installation: then you should be able to fix this yourself. Check the Google results and reset the password for the TT-RSS user in the MySQL data table as they prescribe, and it should use the new password hashing method.

Their suggestion of removing and readding the TT-RSS user should actually probably be sufficient in my eyes, but you said it didn't work, so follow Google's instructions instead. Questions on the methods suggested are better directed at their respective sites than here, since it is not a TT-RSS issue, but a MySQL one.

For the record: I and many others are using MySQL 5.5, and have been for quite some time with TT-RSS and without these problems (5.5 was originally released in late 2009, while 5.1 was released in 2005).

MaxSupernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby MaxSupernova » 17 Jul 2013, 13:52

Thanks! I appreciate the time and your patience.

MaxSupernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby MaxSupernova » 23 Jul 2013, 20:18

Okay, just an update for anyone who is searching on this:

Lunarpages just confirmed that even though the MySQL database has been upgraded, using cPanel to create databases and users still uses 16 byte encrypted passwords instead of 41 byte.

So, the reason this was so confusing is that even though you have upgraded both mysql and PHP, you still get the old style encryption without any notice or warning.

cPanel people are apparently "working on it" and it will be fixed sometime. Until then, you need someone with mysql root user access to fix your user to use 41 byte encryption.

Thanks to most folks here for useful input.

Return to “Unsupported platforms”