Safari stops working on login page

If you run tt-rss on an officially unsupported platform (shared hosting, Windows, etc.) post here
wkwi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 Jan 2014, 20:58
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Safari stops working on login page

Postby wkwi » 22 Jan 2014, 21:13

Hi,

I recently installed TRSS on my provider's server and everything works fine so far. Except the fact, tat Safari stops working when opening the login page of my TRSS installation. I'll see a spinning coloured ball and finally have to force quit Safari to get my system usable again. With Firefox everything is fine.

I already disabled all plug-ins like AdBlock, 1Password etc. but Safari still doesn't like TRSS.

System config: MacOS 10.9.1, Safari 7.0.1. The console log ist quite empty.

Any idea?

Regards,
Wolfgang

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby fox » 22 Jan 2014, 21:17

mac computers are pretty cool

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby sleeper_service » 22 Jan 2014, 21:18

that bite missing out of the apple? the part that makes ttrss work with macs was in that bite.... see if you can find it.

randian
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 15 Jan 2014, 20:57

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby randian » 22 Jan 2014, 22:10

wkwi wrote:I recently installed TRSS on my provider's server and everything works fine so far. Except the fact, tat Safari stops working when opening the login page of my TRSS installation. I'll see a spinning coloured ball and finally have to force quit Safari to get my system usable again. With Firefox everything is fine.

I have a Mac and I'm not seeing this. I didn't bother to turn off my 1Password and Adblock extensions.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master
Posts: 135
Joined: 08 Apr 2013, 02:42

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby AngryChris » 22 Jan 2014, 23:00

I have a Mac with Mavericks and Safari 7.0.1. I've seen this issue constantly. The only way I found to work around it is to let Safari hang, then use pkill to kill it, restart it and, and get to the login page and get logged in before it goes nuts again. To trigger the issue, just sit at the login page. Maybe it's related to SSL. I don't know what's happening, but Safari is beating on index.php ~60 times a second, forever, in a loop:

Code: Select all

24.124.29.135 - - [22/Jan/2014:12:55:00 -0600] "POST /tt-rss/public.php HTTP/1.1" 200 692 "https://www.inetdb.com/tt-rss/index.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_1) AppleWebKit/537.73.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.1 Safari/537.73.11"
24.124.29.135 - - [22/Jan/2014:12:55:00 -0600] "POST /tt-rss/public.php HTTP/1.1" 200 692 "https://www.inetdb.com/tt-rss/index.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_1) AppleWebKit/537.73.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.1 Safari/537.73.11"
24.124.29.135 - - [22/Jan/2014:12:55:00 -0600] "POST /tt-rss/public.php HTTP/1.1" 200 692 "https://www.inetdb.com/tt-rss/index.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_1) AppleWebKit/537.73.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.1 Safari/537.73.11"
24.124.29.135 - - [22/Jan/2014:12:55:00 -0600] "POST /tt-rss/public.php HTTP/1.1" 200 692 "https://www.inetdb.com/tt-rss/index.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_1) AppleWebKit/537.73.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.1 Safari/537.73.11"
24.124.29.135 - - [22/Jan/2014:12:55:00 -0600] "POST /tt-rss/public.php HTTP/1.1" 200 692 "https://www.inetdb.com/tt-rss/index.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_1) AppleWebKit/537.73.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.1 Safari/537.73.11"

Here are the counts per second of hits over a few seconds:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:/var/log/apache2# grep 12:55:00 ssl_access.log | grep Safari | wc -l     
63
[email protected]:/var/log/apache2# grep 12:55:01 ssl_access.log | grep Safari | wc -l
60
[email protected]:/var/log/apache2# grep 12:55:02 ssl_access.log | grep Safari | wc -l
63
[email protected]:/var/log/apache2# grep 12:55:03 ssl_access.log | grep Safari | wc -l
57
[email protected]:/var/log/apache2#

So there's something in index.php (I'm guessing) that Safari doesn't like. This only happens at the login page. I would really like to use Safari for iCloud tabs and iCloud Keychain (I also have an iPad and iPhone) but this, the annoying yellow tool-tips, the lack of Vorbis and Theora support, and so on, have been real deal breakers for me. I've switched to Firefox and all my issues have melted away.

schafdog
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 May 2013, 14:40

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby schafdog » 22 Jan 2014, 23:20

I am seeing it as well. Safari 7.0.1 on Mavericks. Bug rreported it to Apple, but they closed it as duplicate of another.

wkwi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 Jan 2014, 20:58
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby wkwi » 23 Jan 2014, 01:20

Thanks so far, I'll continue using Firefox for ttrss...

pixelgeek
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 05:24

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby pixelgeek » 07 Mar 2014, 05:27

sleeper_service wrote:that bite missing out of the apple? the part that makes ttrss work with macs was in that bite.... see if you can find it.


Just registered to say that this is a dramatically unhelpful comment and it seems to be indicative of the general shitty tone of the forum when it comes to anything not "Open Source".

I've been having the same issue but rather than switch browsers I just switched to Selfoss which doesn't have this issue and also works on tablets and smartphones properly.

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby sleeper_service » 07 Mar 2014, 07:19

pixelgeek wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:that bite missing out of the apple? the part that makes ttrss work with macs was in that bite.... see if you can find it.


Just registered to say that this is a dramatically unhelpful comment and it seems to be indicative of the general shitty tone of the forum when it comes to anything not "Open Source".

I've been having the same issue but rather than switch browsers I just switched to Selfoss which doesn't have this issue and also works on tablets and smartphones properly.

please note, I only approved your drivel so that we could make fun of you, you're so precious!

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby fox » 07 Mar 2014, 09:08

pixelgeek wrote:Just registered to say that this is a dramatically unhelpful comment and it seems to be indicative of the general shitty tone of the forum when it comes to anything not "Open Source".

I've been having the same issue but rather than switch browsers I just switched to Selfoss which doesn't have this issue and also works on tablets and smartphones properly.


sorry guy I'll go buy a mac computer to test this obscure problem you were having with a free program I made

sounds like a great investment to me

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby sleeper_service » 07 Mar 2014, 09:27

fox wrote:
pixelgeek wrote:Just registered to say that this is a dramatically unhelpful comment and it seems to be indicative of the general shitty tone of the forum when it comes to anything not "Open Source".

I've been having the same issue but rather than switch browsers I just switched to Selfoss which doesn't have this issue and also works on tablets and smartphones properly.


sorry guy I'll go buy a mac computer to test this obscure problem you were having with a free program I made

sounds like a great investment to me

if pizzlegeep really cared, he'd donate a mac to you for development purposes, but, he's all yap.

tob
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 30
Joined: 08 Feb 2014, 20:35

Re: Safari stops working on login page

Postby tob » 07 Mar 2014, 12:02

wkwi wrote:I'll see a spinning coloured ball and finally have to force quit Safari to get my system usable again.


You won't get a crash report that way. Launch Activity Monitor and hit Sample Process. Maybe enable Safari's Develop menu and open the Error Console before visiting the page.

If a browser beachballs there is a problem with the browser, no matter how broken the site may be. This meshes with reports of Mavericks Safari being shit. I've not seen it on Mountain Lion.

Tiny doesn't have the prettiest JS, but overhauling it in the hope of accidentally working around this problem is not an option.

AngryChris wrote:Maybe it's related to SSL. I don't know what's happening, but Safari is beating on index.php ~60 times a second, forever, in a loop:


Don't use SSL and sniff the traffic, e.g. using Wireshark. It'd help a lot to see what is being sent.


Return to “Unsupported platforms”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests