AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

If you run tt-rss on an officially unsupported platform (shared hosting, Windows, etc.) post here
michalurban
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 20:49

AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby michalurban » 01 Jun 2014, 21:28

Hi,

Im sorry but Im unable to solve a problem that has been discussed here twice already:
1) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2882
2) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2910

Im using Ubuntu 14.04 server amd64 and the version of tt-rss is 1.11+dfsg-1 from repository. As mentioned in the previous threads, there is no problem in other browsers than Chrome (I checked it in Internet Explorer and it was fine).

One of the solutions said I should delete or alter one of the files in /var/cache/tt-rss/js/, filename feedlist.js. If I delete it, it gets recreated again. When looking inside the file I realized it looked corrupted (even it maybe isnt) - all the lines are in one giant line. Therefore altering the file as suggested wasnt an option. So I took the another feedlist.js file in /usr/share/tt-rss/www/js/ and put it in place of the file in VAR. No change. After altering the file (deleting some lines with request_counters) ... no change.

Then I realized that all the files in VAR looked weird when compared with those in USR. So I replaced them all. It again didnt help. Finally, I deleted all the files in VAR - they all got recreated again but it didnt help.

So I finally got to the last possible solution - in the second thread, there is a link (https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... b5e1fb36c6). But Ive got no idea what to do with it ...

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby fox » 01 Jun 2014, 21:36

>Im using Ubuntu 14.04 server amd64 and the version of tt-rss is 1.11+dfsg-1 from repository.

Read the rules.

e: AGAIN, etc.

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby sleeper_service » 01 Jun 2014, 23:25

what he means is, you installed a version that someone else had bastardized.... so, go ask the bastardizer why it doesn't work... not us.

nippon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 15
Joined: 26 Jun 2013, 05:42

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby nippon » 02 Jun 2014, 00:37

There is really no need to use the Ubuntu repos for installing TT-RSS. I tried the same and got also error messages. The biggest problem for myself was that Ubuntu "PHP5-5.5.x+dfsg" is compiled without the PCNTL module and therefor TT-RSS refuses to start. I used https://morevine.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/tt-rss-enable-php-pcntl-in-ubuntu-linux/ to solve this...


[add]
If you need step by step instructions, you can use Running update deamon on Ubuntu server.

User avatar
pahles
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster
Posts: 50
Joined: 20 Mar 2013, 17:02

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby pahles » 02 Jun 2014, 01:09

fox wrote:>Im using Ubuntu 14.04 server amd64 and the version of tt-rss is 1.11+dfsg-1 from repository.

Read the rules.

e: AGAIN, etc.


I'm sorry, but isn't this the "Unsupported platforms" section of the forum?

If you don't want people asking questions here, shouldn't this section be closed then?

Ducks for cover... :P

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby sleeper_service » 02 Jun 2014, 01:31

pahles wrote:I'm sorry, but isn't this the "Unsupported platforms" section of the forum?

If you don't want people asking questions here, shouldn't this section be closed then?


unsupported doesn't mean you can't talk amongst yourselves, just don't expect any help from Fox.

michalurban
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 20:49

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby michalurban » 02 Jun 2014, 03:52

Thanks for your replies, either off topic or not. :) Fox already explained to me why my question was violationg the rules.

Anyway, while I was gone, I reinstalled Ubuntu and tt-rss from repositories (no change), added webupd8/tt-rss PPA (weird interface change, not usable again) and finally I somehow managed to complete the manual installation of the latest tt-rss version - and the interface is fine, no errors. Im going to mess with auto updates now.

ADD:
I try to use the second way of updating and I first wanted to know if it works. So I used
"/usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/tt-rss/update.php --feeds"
to update and everything went fine. But when I try to run this command again, it does nothing. Of course I understand there may be no new articles, but still its about 1 second (too fast to really check all my 35 feeds) plus it says "Scheduled 0 feeds to update" ...

What does this mean, please?

EDIT:
what about this in crontab? (I already checked it works, only the FORCE options seems to me a bit rude ...)
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php /srv/2000raid/WWW/tt-rss/update.php --feeds --quiet --force-update
?

JanneM
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Jun 2014, 04:54

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby JanneM » 02 Jun 2014, 04:58

I use Ubuntu and tt-rss installed from UPD8. Installation and running it has worked without a hitch for me. I'm going to write up everything I did to install it (along with some other software), but here's what I did to enable automatic feed updates:

Enable automatic updates (yes, the double negative looks weird)

Edit the update config file:
$ sudo pico /etc/default/tt-rss

And change to:
set "DISABLED=0"

Start the update service:
$ sudo service tt-rss start

And that's it. You don't need to mess around with cron or anything like that.

michalurban
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 20:49

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby michalurban » 02 Jun 2014, 13:01

JanneM wrote:I use Ubuntu and tt-rss installed from UPD8. Installation and running it has worked without a hitch for me. I'm going to write up everything I did to install it (along with some other software), but here's what I did to enable automatic feed updates:

Enable automatic updates (yes, the double negative looks weird)

Edit the update config file:
$ sudo pico /etc/default/tt-rss

And change to:
set "DISABLED=0"

Start the update service:
$ sudo service tt-rss start

And that's it. You don't need to mess around with cron or anything like that.



Good for you it worked, but for me with whe WEBUPD8 PPA version (1.12 if I remember correctly), the interface was corrupted. The top panel was not as its supposed to be (to big, some options missing) so the whole gui was unusable. I dont know why, it was a clean Ubuntu installation.

Thanks for your reply. :)

lotrfan
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster
Posts: 73
Joined: 18 Mar 2013, 04:42

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby lotrfan » 02 Jun 2014, 19:46

michalurban wrote:I try to use the second way of updating and I first wanted to know if it works. So I used
"/usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/tt-rss/update.php --feeds"
to update and everything went fine. But when I try to run this command again, it does nothing. Of course I understand there may be no new articles, but still its about 1 second (too fast to really check all my 35 feeds) plus it says "Scheduled 0 feeds to update" ...

What does this mean, please?

TT-RSS only updates feeds at a certain frequency, the lowest of which is 15 minutes. If all feeds have been updated in the last 15 minutes, it won't even try to update them.
(You can configure the frequency for a specific feed in the "Edit Feed..." dialog. You can change the default frequency on the first tab of Preferences.)

michalurban wrote:EDIT:
what about this in crontab? (I already checked it works, only the FORCE options seems to me a bit rude ...)
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php /srv/2000raid/WWW/tt-rss/update.php --feeds --quiet --force-update
?

You shouldn't need to use --force-update on a regular basis.


There's probably an upstart script for Ubuntu somewhere that will let you run the updater as a daemon (i.e., service). Searching (the forums) for "upstart script" might give you some examples.

michalurban
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 20:49

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby michalurban » 02 Jun 2014, 19:51

lotrfan wrote:TT-RSS only updates feeds at a certain frequency, the lowest of which is 15 minutes. If all feeds have been updated in the last 15 minutes, it won't even try to update them. You shouldn't need to use --force-update on a regular basis.

The problem is I prefer updates more often, like */10 od */5 ... and with force update I can get that. Is there any downside?

linoth
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 May 2013, 11:34

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby linoth » 02 Jun 2014, 21:11

I don't believe there's an absolute enforced minimum, other than perhaps 1 or 2 minutes, and even if there is, you can track it down and alter it. The joys of open source software.

I used to run 10-15 minute updates on a site, until I decided that was excessive and found a better way to handle it for that particular site. Intervals are defined in ttrss/backend.php starting around line 70. You'll want to add them to $update_intervals and to $update_intervals_nodefault in seconds. The biggest downside is that you have to maintain this change every time you update TT-RSS, either by hand, via diff, or by using git.

Edit:
You could also alter the update interval directly in the database, but mine kept reverting periodically, which I think was because the interval didn't exist in backend.php. Pretty sure it's because I changed something else on the feed, but still annoying.

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby fox » 02 Jun 2014, 21:38

The enforced minimum is 15 minutes.

>The problem is I prefer updates more often, like */10 od */5 ... and with force update I can get that. Is there any downside?

Some idiot shithole blog owner will ban you and start spamming my email whining about my application DOSing him. Otherwise, none.

michalurban
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 20:49

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby michalurban » 02 Jun 2014, 21:40

fox wrote:The enforced minimum is 15 minutes.


Well, with cron and force-update it isnt ...

crontab:
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php /srv/2000raid/WWW/tt-rss/update.php --feeds --quiet --force-update

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: AGAIN: "Cannot read property 'domNode' of undefined"

Postby fox » 02 Jun 2014, 21:41

That's not what this option is for but knock yourself out, I guess.


Return to “Unsupported platforms”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests