trigger update

If you run tt-rss on an officially unsupported platform (shared hosting, Windows, etc.) post here
t2014
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

trigger update

Postby t2014 » 10 Jun 2014, 21:50

Hello

I installed tt-rss on a shared hosting server without cronjobs and tried to trigger the feed update via update.php which obviously does not work via browser. (Please run this script from the command line.)

I don't have a terminal and even if it makes no sense as I want an unattended update without a running terminal/machine.

I tried the URL

http://<tt-rss>/public.php?op=globalUpdateFeeds&daemon=1

but it only produces

{"message":"NOTHING_TO_UPDATE"}

Is it possible to trigger an unattended feed update without an open terminal or cronjobs at all? There are external services like cronjob.de but I would need a working update URL first.

I know about the simple browser update while logged in but this is not an option for me because I am often away from any computer for weeks but have feeds which articles are being hold only a few days before they disappear. But I still want to read them later.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Re: trigger update

Postby JustAMacUser » 11 Jun 2014, 05:21

If you don't have cronjobs or CLI access, your options are pretty limited. There's the simple update option in config.php file, but without cronjobs or command access, you don't really have alternatives.

Incidentally, you don't need an open terminal, you just need a terminal. If you're on shared hosting you're not going to be able to run a daemon, which is ideal, nor background processes using something like screen. However, there's no reason you cannot do a cron job (most shared hosts support them) and you could run the necessary command line that way every 30 minutes or so.

t2014
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby t2014 » 11 Jun 2014, 09:06

If it is not possible I'm OK with it. I just want to be sure that there is no URL that can be used as a feed update trigger via browser so I can use this URL with external cronjobs.

What is this URL supposed to do?

http://<tt-rss>/public.php?op=globalUpdateFeeds&daemon=1

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 11 Jun 2014, 09:24

Try reading the wiki.

t2014
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby t2014 » 11 Jun 2014, 09:46

There is nothing about that URL in the Wiki. It states only update.php, which needs CLI. Is that an URL which is not supported anymore? Is there another, exept the CLI version?

mrc0mmand
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mrc0mmand » 11 Jun 2014, 10:30

t2014 wrote:There is nothing about that URL in the Wiki. It states only update.php, which needs CLI. Is that an URL which is not supported anymore? Is there another, exept the CLI version?

There is a link at the bottom of the Wiki page regarding old/obsolete feeds updating - http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... dsObsolete
Last edited by mrc0mmand on 11 Jun 2014, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

t2014
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby t2014 » 11 Jun 2014, 16:52

Oops. I did read that too, but never went past the wget command. :oops:

So obviously this URL works also only with cronjobs on the same server where tt-rss is intalled. It's strange though because some people reported that they used this URL (alone) for an external cronjob to trigger a feed update. :?:

It seems I have to give up for now as I'm not going to upgrade my shared hosting package just for tt-rss. I'm quite happy with InoReader exept the fact that it can be shut down anytime. :(

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 11 Jun 2014, 20:59

>So obviously this URL works also only with cronjobs on the same server where tt-rss is intalled.

I'm not aware of any such limitation.

likethecolor
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby likethecolor » 11 Jun 2014, 23:05

I don't know if your hosting allows running exec from php but you could create a script (e.g., my-update.php) that execs the same thing that the cron does. Then on a machine where you do have cron access call that script as a url (e.g., http://my-ttrss-host.com/my-update.php).

I suppose you could even make this a feed you subscribe to and have ttr call it on schedule as if it were a feed.

Something like this:

Code: Select all

<?php
exec('/usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/tt-rss/update.php --feeds --quiet', $output, $return_code);
if($return_code !== 0)
{
  // do something like send an email or log it
}

Return to “Unsupported platforms”