Observations on the Android App

Request new functionality here
Cheetah
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Observations on the Android App

Postby Cheetah » 21 Mar 2013, 18:11

I gave the offline mode of the Android app a whirl on the (underground) train today, and came up with some observations (ok, bugs / improvements ;) )

1. Mark Above Read went a bit haywire in offline mode. It instead Marked Below Read. In online mode, it worked fine.

1a. Mark Above Read doesn't behave quite the same in the app vs. the web. In the app, it includes the article you long pressed on. On the web, it excludes the article you right clicked on. I can see the argument for either choice, only advocating for consistency here.

2. Not specific to offline mode, the Star button in the article view doesn't change appearance when you star / unstar the article.

Otherwise, nicely done, better than what The Nameless One did for me (it would constantly make wrong decisions about what feeds I might want to read offline, instead of simply syncing all unread content).

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Observations on the Android App

Postby fox » 21 Mar 2013, 19:00

1. Could be related to sorting e.g. not respecting old/new first or something. Strange.
1a. Yeah this probably needs to be fixed.
2. There's a patch for that on github, but I'm not sure it's complete (not read through it yet). There's a lot of corner cases involved and in general I never thought it would be worth adding code for that cosmetic thing.

fox

Postby fox » 27 Mar 2013, 14:05

Finally I got time to look into this. In the next market update, catchup_above should be more consistent with web app, actually mark articles as read instead of toggling the status (lol) and in offline version respect the sorting preference.

onyxfox
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby onyxfox » 28 Mar 2013, 09:33

The Publish button in article view also does not change appearance when pushed, just like the Star button mentioned above. I'm often not watching the area of the screen where the popup message appears for a brief moment saying "Article starred/Article published", and so I'm not sure if I pushed it accurately enough, pushed the wrong one on accident, or imagined that i had pushed it, forgetting it was the previous article or just my brain not working before my first cup of coffee.

One of the few things that had bothered me about the Android app, even though it's just aesthetics.

justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby justauser » 28 Mar 2013, 16:46

I *want* to like the android app. I find the web app has just about the best interface of any RSS reader I've used, web or desktop. It is better than Feeddemon, RSSowl and the like. I wonder why we can't look more like the web app:

- initial screen to show labels, special and then my feeds with unread items (or optionally all feeds). I can only get a view of "all articles" and I want to see the folders and then feeds.
- in feed items view an icon to "mark all read"
- ability to have all articles displayed for a folder, just like web
- should be able to download all articles for offline use. use the local SQLite
- when I mark all items read I get a display of unread items. don't want that. go back up a level.
- when scrolling through items list, it doesn't automatically mark as read. you do this on the web (which I think is harder).

You are doing great work and I *love* tt-rss. Wish I had set it up sooner. Some improvements to the Android client and I am forever grateful.

fox

Postby fox » 28 Mar 2013, 16:59

>I wonder why we can't look more like the web app:

Because it's not designed to run on a huge computer monitor. Personally I thought it was pretty obvious.

>- ability to have all articles displayed for a folder, just like web

Long tap on a feed, maybe even check the settings sometime.

>- should be able to download all articles for offline use. use the local SQLite

Don't tell me you never noticed offline mode either.

fox

Postby fox » 28 Mar 2013, 17:10

auto mark as read should be easy to add btw

justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby justauser » 29 Mar 2013, 15:45

Thanks for the reply. The mobile app is pretty good but the one I used to use with Google, gReader, was the best on Android. You are very close. Comments:

- The "offline" mode setting is in a menu and isn't at all levels. For example, on the tablet in the view where I have the all articles on the left and items on the right it is in the menu. However, in the view where I have items on the left and article displayed on the right it isn't there. On the phone when I am scrolling through the items it isn't in the menu. And, for me, 500 articles is too few. I had 2000 articles yesterday morning and was about to get on an airplane. Admittedly, for several feeds I only read the articles that match a filter and are labeled, but I don't know which one will match so I need all down. (see below on feeds)

- I did "long tap" on feeds. The issue is that there is "Special" and that has all and Fresh. I long tap and there is no item to show the folders. My feeds are in a folder called "My Feeds" and then I have folders under that and then feeds in the folder. I want to tap "All articles" and have a "View folders" and then replace the left column with the folder list. Tap a folder and see items for the folder. Long press a folder and have "View feeds" and that would replace the left column with the feeds for the folder.

- in the phone view, when I view the articles list the name of the feed is shown for each article, but on the tablet it isn't. Can you add this to the tablet?

Thanks again for all the work. I am about to buy the mobile app. It is good and when I say I want it more like the web app, I am talking about the folder views above. I *love* that you deliver a folder/all view sorted by feed and then articles within a feed. Only one other android app has this capability and to me it is logical and necessary if you read a lot of feeds especially if a feed is from a board. When the other just deliver views with newest/oldest sorting you can follow a discussion because the items from the board are so scattered.

justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby justauser » 01 Apr 2013, 18:14

thanks for bumping the number of articles that can be used offline. I know 2K seems like a lot, but I've had cases where I have 3-5K. Is there a reason why you limit to 2K - time to download or some other issue? If download time, then it is caveat emptor.

fox

Postby fox » 01 Apr 2013, 18:16

Download time.

>If download time, then it is caveat emptor.

If only people worked like that my life would be a lot easier.

justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby justauser » 02 Apr 2013, 03:53

:-)

justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby justauser » 03 Apr 2013, 17:47

Using the latest Android app on my tablet against a version about 1 day pre 1.7.6. Great improvement. I now see my folder of feeds and tap/hold to get a folder view of the next level so I can read feeds. Terrific improvements over the last week. Looking forward to the mark read on scroll and hopefully a mark read icon at the top to save opening the menus. One thought: if you add a mark read icon, have a long press give you the mark older than 1 day/1week,2week options.

Don't know how you get so much done. An amazing product/effort.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Apr 2013, 18:02

Mostly you discovered features that had been there for years. Just saying.

>hopefully a mark read icon at the top to save opening the menus.

It's so hard, I know. So much effort.

justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby justauser » 03 Apr 2013, 18:58

perhaps they were there, but they didn't appear. Maybe an issue with my 1.7.5 install. In any case, thanks.

It isn't hard, but if you have a lot of feeds/folders, lots of extra taps. tt-rss should be the best Android app for us lazy users. The web version already is!

fox

Postby fox » 03 Apr 2013, 20:58

You can actually set default behavior for tapping on a feed/category. In settings.

Return to “Feature requests”