Behavior change for Automatically mark articles as read

Request new functionality here
justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Re: Behavior change for Automatically mark articles as read

Postby justauser » 03 Apr 2013, 23:20

Fox, PLEASE, PLEASE don't change the way you do mark read on scrolling. You did it perfectly and I can't understand why someone wants to click and scroll. If you have a lot of items the way you've implemented this is BRILLIANT!

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 03 Apr 2013, 23:21

I keep forgetting but I have actually bothered to make a special FAQ entry about "make it like google reader":

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... gle-Reader

ziffusion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ziffusion » 03 Apr 2013, 23:29

OK. Forget I mentioned Reader. Sorry I mentioned it.

Just consider this on the basis of the reasons I am giving you.

Folks who have a lot of articles to get through, do like that UX of being able to quickly scan through a stream of articles, ignore most of the cruft, and click on the articles of interest. What they blow by (and not click on), they want gone (without having to do anything to make that happen). Your existing feature "Automatically mark articles as read" already addresses this UX, and doing this on clicks will only make that better.

fox wrote:>Yeah, I know you don't like hearing that. But you are smart. And smart people don't dismiss good ideas just because they didn't invent them.

I hope one day people would evolve to understand that suddenly changing existing functionality because some other web service nobody on this site ever gave two shits about for many years finally croaked is not a particularly great idea. Some day.

But no, a google reader user has graced us with their presence. The UI design is impeccable. We must change everything to match.

smh

LifeWOutMilk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby LifeWOutMilk » 04 Apr 2013, 00:02

ziffusion wrote:What I blow by (and not click on), I want gone (without having to do anything to make that happen)

FTFY

mstroud
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mstroud » 04 Apr 2013, 00:03

Fox & Co. have a severe GReader allergy. :(

Luckily, TT-RSS is open source, so we can fix what we don't like. I did so here for a similar UX preference that got shot down:

https://github.com/mstroud/Tiny-Tiny-RSS/tree/greader (branched from a new-ish trunk commit)

Code: Select all

diff --git a/js/viewfeed.js b/js/viewfeed.js
index c1163ea..a10c925 100644
--- a/js/viewfeed.js
+++ b/js/viewfeed.js
@@ -1591,7 +1591,8 @@ function cdmClicked(event, id) {
                                return cdmExpandArticle(id);
                        } else {

-                               var elem = $("RROW-" + getActiveArticleId());
+                               var old_id = getActiveArticleId();
+                               var elem = $("RROW-" + old_id);

if (elem) elem.removeClassName("active");

@@ -1605,6 +1606,10 @@ function cdmClicked(event, id) {
                                elem.addClassName("active");

setActiveArticleId(id);
+
+                               if ( old_id != id ) {
+                                       cdmScrollToArticleId(id, true);
+                               }

if (article_is_unread) {
                                        decrementFeedCounter(getActiveFeedId(), activeFeedIsCat());

It does what you want, but also auto-scrolls the clicked article to the top of the feed window. HTH.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Apr 2013, 00:05

I still have no idea what "doing this on clicks" means. I hope it's not illegal. This is your brain. This is your brain on clicks.

ziffusion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ziffusion » 04 Apr 2013, 00:19

Nice! Thanks. I started to look at the code, but it was gonna take me a while to get there.

mstroud wrote:Fox & Co. have a severe GReader allergy. :(

Luckily, TT-RSS is open source, so we can fix what we don't like. I did so here for a similar UX preference that got shot down:

https://github.com/mstroud/Tiny-Tiny-RSS/tree/greader (branched from a new-ish trunk commit)

Code: Select all

diff --git a/js/viewfeed.js b/js/viewfeed.js
index c1163ea..a10c925 100644
--- a/js/viewfeed.js
+++ b/js/viewfeed.js
@@ -1591,7 +1591,8 @@ function cdmClicked(event, id) {
                                return cdmExpandArticle(id);
                        } else {

-                               var elem = $("RROW-" + getActiveArticleId());
+                               var old_id = getActiveArticleId();
+                               var elem = $("RROW-" + old_id);

if (elem) elem.removeClassName("active");

@@ -1605,6 +1606,10 @@ function cdmClicked(event, id) {
                                elem.addClassName("active");

setActiveArticleId(id);
+
+                               if ( old_id != id ) {
+                                       cdmScrollToArticleId(id, true);
+                               }

if (article_is_unread) {
                                        decrementFeedCounter(getActiveFeedId(), activeFeedIsCat());

It does what you want, but also auto-scrolls the clicked article to the top of the feed window. HTH.

mstroud
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mstroud » 04 Apr 2013, 00:22

LifeWOutMilk wrote:
ziffusion wrote:What I blow by (and not click on), I want gone (without having to do anything to make that happen)

FTFY

If only there was a mechanism to allow the user to select the UX he/she prefers. That way when a user provides constructive feedback and objective justification regarding a change in UX, it can be added and left up to each user to adopt or not. Maybe a configuration page (call it "preferences", or something) where there are "checkbox thingies" for brave users to click.

If only.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Apr 2013, 00:25

See the post above re: FAQ entry.

ziffusion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ziffusion » 04 Apr 2013, 01:06

I wonder how this discussion might have gone had GReader not been mentioned at all. I just get the feeling you simply stopped listening after that. You haven't paid any attention to the reasoning I have been giving you.

What I don't understand is your resistance to consider something that actually agrees with something that you are doing ALREADY.

You ALREADY have an option called "Automatically mark articles as read" - right? What this does is automatically marks READ all articles that a user scrolls past.

Now, as the user scrolls past articles, he may actually click on an article lower down on the page. But his intention is similar. He wants the articles above that to be marked read, because he has already scanned them. But what happens is only the article that was clicked is marked read.

So, for folks who have a UX preference for the articles to be marked read as they scan through them (and select this option), it makes sense to mark them read both when they scroll past them, AND when they click past some articles.

See http://tt-rss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1686&start=15#p8189 above. That does exactly this.

fox wrote:See the post above re: FAQ entry.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Apr 2013, 10:46

I just get the feeling you simply stopped listening after that.

Maybe you should try reading my posts.

ziffusion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ziffusion » 04 Apr 2013, 15:45

I did. Maybe you should do me the same courtesy. In fact, just read this one post and tell me why the suggestion is not workable or doesn't make sense.

Here is the rationale again.

==========

What I don't understand is your resistance to consider something that actually agrees with something that you are doing ALREADY.

You ALREADY have an option called "Automatically mark articles as read" - right? What this does is automatically marks READ all articles that a user scrolls past.

Now, as the user scrolls past articles, he may actually click on an article lower down on the page. But his intention is similar. He wants the articles above that to be marked read, because he has already scanned them. But what happens is only the article that was clicked is marked read.

So, for folks who have a UX preference for the articles to be marked read as they scan through them (and select this option), it makes sense to mark them read both when they scroll past them, AND when they click past some articles.

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1686&start=15#p8189 above. That does exactly this.

fox wrote:
I just get the feeling you simply stopped listening after that.

Maybe you should try reading my posts.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Apr 2013, 16:20

>You ALREADY have an option called "Automatically mark articles as read" - right? What this does is automatically marks READ all articles that a user scrolls past.

It marks articles which are above the viewport which means there's a good enough reason to assume they are either read or ignored. People actually seem to like how this works. I have received exactly zero complaints for this being somehow unintutive.

>Now, as the user scrolls past articles, he may actually click on an article lower down on the page. But his intention is similar. He wants the articles above that to be marked read, because he has already scanned them.

Why do you assume the intention is similar? You have posted this baseless assumption many times and shown zero supporting argument for it (other than bu-bu-bu I like it this way! bu-bu-bu google reader!).

People already told you, but I'll reiterate. Get this into your head: you =/= tt-rss users. You want it to be this way. Other people might not. For example, I don't care for this behavior at all.

Get over yourself already, you are not some kind of UI design guru who decided to grace us with his presence and therefore allowed to lay dogma on unsuspecting ears of proles who afterwards must strive tirelessly to implement it.

Also, while you are getting over yourself, consider getting the fuck out, I'm getting progressively tired of reading your baseless drivel.

ziffusion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ziffusion » 04 Apr 2013, 16:27

> Get over yourself already, you are not some kind of UI design guru who decided to grace us with his presence and therefore allowed to lay dogma on unsuspecting ears of us, proles, who afterwards must strive tirelessly to implement it.

dude ... i am just trying to have a discussion with you about a feature ... not sure where you are getting that I am claiming to be a UX guru

> Also, while you are getting over yourself, consider getting the fuck out, I'm getting progressively tired of reading your baseless drivel.

heh ... yeah i think i'll stop now ... this is obviously not gonna go anywhere

just curious ... did you write tt-rss yourself, or do you just maintain it? The code is very nicely done.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Apr 2013, 16:30

>just curious ... did you write tt-rss yourself, or do you just maintain it? The code is very nicely done.

I stole the entirety of it from Twitter. Little known fact.

Return to “Feature requests”