Android app ideas (with partial implementations)

Request new functionality here
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Android app ideas (with partial implementations)

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:16

>Wrong. When I swipe left and the article appears, it is marked as read. I have not read it yet.

Until mind scanning becomes available there's no way to figure out whether you have actually read anything or not. For the time being, articles put into an active/foreground state in tt-rss are automatically marked as read.

As I have repeatedly said before, this is one of the fundamental design decisions behind tt-rss UX that has been like that from the very beginning in 2005. I understand that you are clinging to the UI interaction model you are used to, but contrary to what some people think, I'm not developing a google reader clone and, in all honesty, care little about google reader escapees comfort zone. You can continue using your holy grail of UX design, it has a few more months left in it.

>It's not a terrible effort to go into the menu and mark it unread, but if I wanted more effort in my life, I'd not use an RSS reader in the first place and just visit all the websites I'm interested in periodically.

Yes, because it is entirely the same thing. Ridiculously fallacious arguments are not going to do you any favors here.

>Mostly I don't understand why "Publish" is so much more important than "Mark unread" the the one is on the action bar and to other one is not.

Try reading my posts.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 10 Apr 2013, 16:17

seidler2547 wrote:When I see that I just came onto a 2000 word post by someone, I usually wait until I have some time and quietness to read it, so I have to mark it unread, because it was automatically marked as read even though I have not read it.

You read it. You appraised its size and decided to re-read it later. Star it like a sane person would. That's what starring is for.

seidler2547 wrote:It's not a terrible effort to go into the menu and mark it unread

Is it terrible effort to star it, like a sane person would? Do you have a crippling fear of stars or something?

seidler2547 wrote:Mostly I don't understand why "Publish" is so much more important than "Mark unread"

Because "Publish" is something a sane person would use. "Mark unread" is there specifically for lobotomites, as I explained in the post above. And frankly, noone cares if a lobotomite is subjected to a terrible effort.

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:18

seidler2547,

Maybe it would be easier for you if you would mentally substitute unread with unseen.

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:19

fox wrote:Try reading my posts.

But you don't read mine? Understood.

Stefan

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:22

The "nuh-uh" argument. Exquisite.

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:22

blainemono wrote:Is it terrible effort to star it, like a sane person would? Do you have a crippling fear of stars or something?

The extra effort consists of reading two streams of articles instead of one. If there was a way to display unread and starred articles together, that would also be ok.

Stefan

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:29

>The extra effort consists of reading two streams of articles instead of one.

This must be so terrible for you. Imagine how I feel reading your posts.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 10 Apr 2013, 16:29

seidler2547 wrote:The extra effort consists of reading two streams of articles instead of one. If there was a way to display unread and starred articles together, that would also be ok.

You are of course aware that those TWO streams have exactly the same number of articles between them, are you not?

And that the crippling effort you are talking about is actually about one extra tap per reading session at best?

Edit: also, with your approach, suppose you marked some articles as unread, then closed the reader, then reopened your unread feed, but you are still not in the mood to read that 2000 word post. What do you do? Mark it as unread again?
Last edited by blainemono on 10 Apr 2013, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:31

By the way, because the Google refugee argument came up, I've seen the evolution of a pay-for app (which, yes, incidentally connected to Google Reader), where most of these things had been implemented over time. Not because anything Google (Reader) did. Not even because I in my wicked way to use feeds wanted them. But because a lot of users wanted them. I know that I can just publish the source and my own APK, but honestly, why am I making this effort to take it to this forum? Because I think these are valueable use cases for more people than just me. I mean, I am already using most of these features anyway, so I don't strictly need to argue about their inclusion in the app.

Stefan

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:32

I still fail to see any arguments as to why is it important to have articles combined by this criteria. Other than "I wanna because".

>But because a lot of users wanted them.

People are entirely free to want. Nobody can take this right away from them.

Edit: as you might have noticed if you pay attention, I have no trouble including features that actually make sense and can be coherently argued for.

>why am I making this effort to take it to this forum?

Why indeed.

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:34

blainemono wrote:What do you do? Mark it as unread again?

No you see you this is where the Option to disable automatically marking things as read comes in because google reader. Make it per-feed. Kthxbye.

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:42

fox wrote:Edit: as you might have noticed if you pay attention, I have no trouble including features that actually make sense and can be coherently argued for.

But apparently better UX is not an argument you're particularily inclined towards.

Stefan

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:44

"I like it more" =/= "better".

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:46

fox wrote:"I like it more" =/= "better".

User eXperience is, by definition, subjective.

Stefan

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:49

Nobody stops you from making whatever subjective experience you might want for yourself in your own branch. Knock yourself out. No ability for cogent reasoning required.

Return to “Feature requests”