Android app ideas (with partial implementations)

Request new functionality here
blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Re: Android app ideas (with partial implementations)

Postby blainemono » 10 Apr 2013, 16:50

Please do not ignore my edit/question above. Your answer is crucial for understanding of your mental state.

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:51

fox wrote:Nobody stops you from making whatever subjective experience you might want for yourself in your own branch. Knock yourself out. No ability for cogent reasoning required.

You didn't provide any hard facts yet, so don't argue with the implied but unproven.

Stefan

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:55

blainemono wrote:Edit: also, with your approach, suppose you marked some articles as unread, then closed the reader, then reopened your unread feed, but you are still not in the mood to read that 2000 word post. What do you do? Mark it as unread again?

From the article list, I just start reading with the next article after those (usually just one or two).

Stefan

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 16:59

So you are going to skip this article again and again until you feel like reading it? What about people who have newest articles first, they'll have to consciously look for the saved for later article as to not mark it as read again.

Best part is that you actually consider any of this good UI design.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 10 Apr 2013, 16:59

seidler2547 wrote:From the article list, I just start reading with the next article after those (usually just one or two).
Stefan

How do you do that? Feed can be sorted by date, newest first. Those articles you saved for later can easilly be somewhere in the middle of the unread feed. Where would your god be in this scenario?

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 17:00

No you see in his head everyone does things exactly like him so there's no problem.

seidler2547
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby seidler2547 » 10 Apr 2013, 17:06

Where have I argued to take away any feature? If you don't want to mark items as unread, and have your feeds ordered by newest first (who doesn't like reading first that something happened and then read an announcment about it), then how is any of the stuff I proposed going to change that?

Or is your reasoning that every feature has to be used by every user, no matter how their usage pattern actually is?

Stefan

arkolbus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby arkolbus » 10 Apr 2013, 17:16

FWIW: I'm with Stefan on this. In tt-rss, starring an article is not a good replacement for "mark unread", as I've been using it. I find the single list of "things I need to look at" very convenient.

Mark unread may be a kludge, but I could blaze through articles like this in google reader (web and android). I'm willing to accept that there's a better way, but I don't see how using stars + multiple views is better.

A combined (starred+unread) feed could be a philosophical and practical improvement over having to mark unread, since articles you wanted to "keep saving" would remain starred as you scrolled past. Fox, is this possible in tt-rss out of the box? If not, what would it take to get it in tt-rss (change to trunk? plugin?)

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 10 Apr 2013, 17:29

seidler2547 wrote: how is any of the stuff I proposed going to change that?

But you didn't propose any stuff, really. Let's recap a little bit.

You wanted an already existing option to be available in an easier-to-access place because apparently starring doesn't work for you.

A proper way to use starring mechanism to keep articles for later has been explained. You waved that explaination away because the effort you have to put into tapping a starred feed once per session is apparently immense.

A problem has been presented to you - unread articles have to be marked unread every time you come across them in a feed because of auto-marking-as-read feature. You waved that problem away because apparently it is possible to read a feed in such a way that negates this problem (no, it's not possible. You made that up).

In essence, you asked for a change that would make your frankly idiotic way of reading rss feeds easier, told everyone who reads stuff even slightly differently to go fuck themselves, then proceeded to complain about your brain fart not being incorporated into trunk right away.

There are several ways to go from here.

First, you can describe your proposed changes clearly, provide rationale for those changes, address all possible issues that can arise from those changes - in short, you can tell us how to make this application better for everyone.

Second, you can fuck right off, then mark yourself as unfuckoffed, then fuck right off again.

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 17:57

arkolbus wrote:Mark unread may be a kludge, but I could blaze through articles like this in google reader (web and android).

I don't care if rolling around on the floor is a kludge, I could blaze through streets like that and now you tell me walking is better. I just don't see it.

but I don't see how using stars + multiple views is better.

Try reading my posts.

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 18:00

arkolbus wrote:A combined (starred+unread) feed could be a philosophical and practical improvement over having to mark unread, since articles you wanted to "keep saving" would remain starred as you scrolled past. Fox, is this possible in tt-rss out of the box? If not, what would it take to get it in tt-rss (change to trunk? plugin?)

Yes, let's replace one terrible kludge with another because

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 10 Apr 2013, 18:02

The real question is, does terrible kludge require extreme effort?

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 18:06

Nah, all of it could easily be added, just like many other terrible ideas the google reader escapee populace is generating here. But it's not going to happen because 1) the ideas itself are terrible; 2) the reasoning behind them is stupid; 3) I give zero fucks about said populace being sad because they have to learn something different for once.

In short, dear escapees, if you feel that your need of having a google reader clone is not satisfied here, get the fuck out before we mock you into oblivion.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 10 Apr 2013, 18:17

On the other hand, the bears are a-hurting for some rating!

LifeWOutMilk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby LifeWOutMilk » 10 Apr 2013, 18:51

blainemono wrote:Second, you can fuck right off, then mark yourself as unfuckoffed, then fuck right off again.

I starred this just so I could read it again.

Return to “Feature requests”