Android App/Scheduled Offline mode & managed space usage

Request new functionality here
Suricat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Android App/Scheduled Offline mode & managed space usage

Postby Suricat » 15 Apr 2013, 02:32

First of all, let me say I wish Google has shut down reader sooner, I would have discovered ttrss sooner ! That said, I'm a huge fan of the paid Android App and I try to improve my usage everyday.

I'd like a feature to be add concerning offline mode. I'd like it to be schedulabled. Something basic like "everyday at 7:00am" would be great. Off course, any more options would be appreciated (twice a day, and not on certain day for example). I sure have a brain and could press the "offline mode" button when I wake up but that would enlight my day :-) Just to know if that may appear on the "todo list" or not.

This implies a question concerning space management in offline mode : I tried several times and didn't understand how/when images might be or not automaticaly removed from the cache folder or if I can or should not delete them by myself.

Anyway, great job. I'm not the first to say that, but that's true...

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Android App/Scheduled Offline mode & managed space usage

Postby fox » 15 Apr 2013, 09:08

I'm not adding alarms or wakelocks to the application. It's really not that hard to select one menu option and let it run.

>This implies a question concerning space management in offline mode : I tried several times and didn't understand how/when images might be or not automaticaly removed from the cache folder or if I can or should not delete them by myself.

It should be removing stuff older than a week or so.

jakob42
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jakob42 » 15 Apr 2013, 09:55

I think it's good idea not to implement this directly into the mobile app. But maybe you could add a possibility so that other apps (Llama, Tasker, ...) could trigger that. Then your app wouldn't need to have code for scheduling of events and whatnot (which is really well implemented in the other apps) and the OPs wanted feature would be possible and even more. (Sync when at home and Wifi is activated...)

(I don't use the android app, the webinterface is enough for me, but it might be useful for others.)

fox

Postby fox » 15 Apr 2013, 10:16

Yes adding hooks for some third-party commercial app sounds like an excellent idea.

jakob42
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jakob42 » 15 Apr 2013, 11:57

Do as you wish (well, you'll do that anyways :wink:), but Llama is at least free, even though the source isn't available...

fox

Postby fox » 15 Apr 2013, 12:04

Don't get me the wrong way, if it's a standard android framework thing (like exposing a separate activity or a broadcast receiver or something) and it's not excruciatingly hard I can of course add this.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 15 Apr 2013, 12:07

I'm curious, what's the use case for this stuff? Why would you want to go troy&abed^Woffline in the morning?

Suricat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Suricat » 15 Apr 2013, 14:56

Thank you Fox for you answer, I clearly understand your point of view not implementing this. I was just asking (also ok for the cached data, I'll check this out).

@blainemono : I use public transportation where the GSM data connexion is not very good and it's a pretty good time to check my rss. I do use offline mode but I just need not to forget to sync in the morning via wifi so that I spare on my data plan.

A solution via llama may be a good solution.

dxbi
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby dxbi » 15 Apr 2013, 16:10

fox wrote:Don't get me the wrong way, if it's a standard android framework thing (like exposing a separate activity or a broadcast receiver or something) and it's not excruciatingly hard I can of course add this.

Llama can both start an activity and send a broadcast via Android's intent API. So yes, both would be helpful in this case (though I personally wouldn't use it).

tbar
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tbar » 16 Apr 2013, 09:51

dxbi wrote:Llama can both start an activity and send a broadcast via Android's intent API. So yes, both would be helpful in this case (though I personally wouldn't use it).

Llama also supports Locale* plugins which is used in the other ttrss android app.

*: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ram.locale

Return to “Feature requests”