Mr. Reader API compatibility

Request new functionality here
slavikt
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Mr. Reader API compatibility

Postby slavikt » 04 Jun 2013, 16:47

Author of the iPad reader Mr. Reader published the following blog post regarding API support status:
http://mrreaderblog.curioustimes.de/pos ... s-part-one

It mentions TT-RSS API as incompatible as it lacks a few sync calls.

How to identify an API that is incompatible with Mr. Reader?

The API has a call to get the unread count values of folders and feeds
The API does NOT have a call to get the IDs of unread, starred, tagged articles only
The API does NOT have a call to download articles by ID

Dear fox, what is needed for the tt-rss in order to become compatible? Mr.Reader is my favorite RSS reader on iPad and I want it and tt-rss plays well together.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Re: Mr. Reader API compatibility

Postby blainemono » 04 Jun 2013, 16:59

wut

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 04 Jun 2013, 17:02

slavikt wrote:Author of the iPad reader Mr. Reader published the following blog post regarding API support status:

Hello yes I can't be arsed to update anything in my app and/or figure out how your API works so how about you'd be a dear and change it to imitate this dead service I'm used to dealing with so I won't need to think or do anything kthx bai otherwise ur totally bad and incompatible and shit

What the literal flying fuck is wrong with this guy? Is it so hard to understand that there might be more than one way to do things? That offline mode does exactly that using the API that exists without any problems whatsoever?

Anyway, fuck this dimwit. Bear.jpg.

PerryWerneck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby PerryWerneck » 04 Jun 2013, 21:25

Hi,

I think the problem is more related with bandwidth/network stability; not everyone has a fast and stable network. I'm now using tt-rss android client as my official one (and sent a new copy to my wife's phone this morning) but already testes feedly and flipboard for news reading and, after that, I noticed that all three are designed to work always online. Yes, tt-rss has an offline mode but, it's manual. Other clients (like the old google reader client) are designed with another approach: They try to download and store locally some articles when they get some network (usually a wify connection) and, after that they just talk to the server using small data packets just to get/set article status, change read/unread/star mode, see if there are new articles to download later when the network goes better and so on.

There are no best or worst approach on this; they're just diferent.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Jun 2013, 21:47

this is irrelevant wrt idiot author claiming ttrss api is not designed for syncing because you need to do it slightly differently.

also test versions of ttrss app used this auto sync approach.

in short mr reader is a retard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

fox

Postby fox » 04 Jun 2013, 21:51

whats funnier is that ttrss api is pluggable so he can easily make whatever methods he needs

PerryWerneck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby PerryWerneck » 04 Jun 2013, 22:35

Hi,

Great!!! I'm looking forward for this update. :D

fox wrote:this is irrelevant wrt idiot author claiming ttrss api is not designed for syncing because you need to do it slightly differently.
also test versions of ttrss app used this auto sync approach.

PerryWerneck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby PerryWerneck » 04 Jun 2013, 22:37

Hi,

Well, if (and when) I got some available time I can take a look and try to develop a plugin with the calls they want to.

fox wrote:whats funnier is that ttrss api is pluggable so he can easily make whatever methods he needs

fox

Postby fox » 04 Jun 2013, 22:45

sorry but test means initial alpha versions, this whole thing was scrapped because it didn't work good enough

gbcox
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby gbcox » 04 Jun 2013, 23:27

:roll: Wow, this must be some kind of fantastic app if the developer is asking everybody to change their applications to work with his... oh wait, it's for an Apple product... I guess it's true, the app doesn't fall far from the tree... :lol:

fox

Postby fox » 04 Jun 2013, 23:28

Luckily the national savior feedly is going to imitate the only true and pure of heart API he can work with, so maybe he should consider moving in that direction and the fuck away from tt-rss.

ZeGuigui
BANNED_USERS
BANNED_USERS

Postby ZeGuigui » 05 Jun 2013, 13:15

He probably did not try very hard... By the way for those who still want to use this app there is still the fever plugin as Mr Reader support their API... I will stay with reeder as I do not have an iPad :)

parsifal
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby parsifal » 08 Jul 2013, 12:08

I'm an engineer and I'm inclined to agree with fox: the Mr Reader guy is doing a whole lot of bitching rather than figuring out how to make it work. Also, complaining to your audience about how you can't do something is really lame.

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 08 Jul 2013, 13:15

If you want Mr. Reader to work install this plugin: https://github.com/dasmurphy/tinytinyrss-fever-plugin/ , it emulates the fever API which Mr. Reader can apparently sync to. And any discussion related to that plugin is in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1981 , just make sure you use the plugin from the git repo rather than attached to the forum thread as there are many improvements in the version on git to make it work with Mr. Reader.

parsifal
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby parsifal » 08 Jul 2013, 15:42

This morning I set Mr Reader up to sync via the Fever plugin and now all Mr Reader does is crash.

Return to “Feature requests”