Full text RSS generator

Request new functionality here
davidm
Plays it by ear

Full text RSS generator

Postby davidm » 06 Oct 2013, 14:46

Ful-Text RSS Feeds, by fivefilters, is a simple PHP app that tries to get the whole text of articles for a truncated RSS feed.

http://fivefilters.org/content-only/

EDIT: The GPL version is on Downloads > Older versions. Direct link to repository: http://code.fivefilters.org/full-text-rss

It is free software and you can host it yourself. Pretty simple and without heavy requirements. Works all right, can't get all feeds right but most.

Since it's GPL, I wonder if a plugin could be made that packages the app and integrates it with tt-rss. The UI could be nothing more than a checkbox in feed options: "Try to get full text for this feed", and if you check it, the feed URL gets changed to the feed provided by Full-Text RSS (the URLs it generates for the full-text feeds are regular and encode all its options, so it's simply a matter of adding text before and after the original feed URL).
Last edited by davidm on 06 Oct 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Full text RSS generator

Postby fox » 06 Oct 2013, 15:43

Self-hosted
from
20€
one-off

Can we please not post ads for commercial software here. Thanks.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 06 Oct 2013, 18:38

Sorry fox, not my intention at all. It's true that the guy sells the latest version of the software, but you can download the source code for free, GPL licensed, in Downloads > Older versions, taking you to the repo. That's the version I was talking about, should have made it clear.

Regardless your or my opinion on selling, in the end there is a piece of freely available GPL software that can help TT-RSS users, methinks. :oops:

(Specially because I know no alternative that does the same. Anyone?)

fox

Postby fox » 06 Oct 2013, 18:58

Well, he hides his gpl stuff pretty well, I didn't notice it. I'm not going to make a plugin, but feel free to discuss I suppose.

hrk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby hrk » 06 Oct 2013, 23:18

As a very quick solution, you can install it on your own server (the same you have tt-rss) and then when you want to add a feed to tt-rss just put it through FullTextRSS and use the full-url you see after you click "generate". I've done it for Engadget and it seems to work (more or less, the first item seems to be wrong, I'll keep it monitored for a while)

RSS YOGI
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby RSS YOGI » 17 Oct 2013, 10:53

davidm wrote:(Specially because I know no alternative that does the same. Anyone?)

Wow.. this sounds like a cool idea.. 8) Myself been using FullTextRSS for a while. But if one can integrate it through a plugin then it would really ease out on the user interface. I mean it would also help to search full text content using TT-RSS easily. Most of the feeds just provide partial feeds and one has to go to the original article to check if it is worth a read. Hope someone can crack the idea and create a plugin.. looking forward to it!!! :mrgreen:

Kumpan
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Kumpan » 23 Oct 2013, 15:37

@davidm
Maybe my feature request who is also inspirited by a Website could mean the same.

xkortazar
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby xkortazar » 12 Dec 2013, 20:23

Kumpan
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Kumpan » 02 Apr 2014, 19:19

Are there some news about a plug-in?

hrk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby hrk » 02 Apr 2014, 20:04

Not really needed, as you can install FTRSS on the same host you run TT-RSS and then just point the latter to the former.

ikarus84
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ikarus84 » 30 Dec 2015, 21:07

I would like to bring back the topic. I build a feedaggregator with about 700 feeds and tons of them are shortened, which makes an awfull lot of work. I'm ready to learn how to program the plugin and I'm starting to read all the pages about it, still a little help where to begin or where to find a very similar plugin as a base would be great.
What is needed:
- a place to story the base url of the FiveFilters Full RSS installation.
- a checkmark in the feeds plugin options -> this checkmark adds the specific url
BASE-URL/makefulltextfeed.php?url=ORIGINALFEEDURL

That's pretty much it. Would love to get some help or hints.

ikarus84
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ikarus84 » 30 Dec 2015, 21:20

I'm getting a little but closer, but my PHP-knowledge is probably not enough:
I found two plugins, that modify links
https://github.com/wltb/ff_feedcleaner
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3335

and one plugin, with the right option-button:
https://github.com/atallo/ttrss_fullpost

Now I want to mix them. :)

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 30 Dec 2015, 22:25

If you're not a PHP coder, why not use the af_readability plugin fox bundles with TT-RSS? It works well. It supports the option to enable per-feed, or even per article based on filters.

ikarus84
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ikarus84 » 01 Jan 2016, 15:49

It seems to me, that Fulltext RSS from FiveFilters offers some more options, like it keeps the OpenGraph information, I can create feeds, where all the links become footnotes and most important, I see an easy way to create individual config-files per site (maybe I can do this with the af_readability plugin as well, still all the other options are very usefull to me and my usage scenarios).
Still: I will give the af_readability-plugin a try. It seems to me that af_readability and the fivefilters-code use the same librariess.
So could af_readability be improved by the newer version included in Fivefilters code?

fox

Postby fox » 01 Jan 2016, 16:25

i think these people are literally selling a more uptodate library so good luck with that

Return to “Feature requests”