Mark as read in virtual feeds

Request new functionality here
davidm
Plays it by ear

Mark as read in virtual feeds

Postby davidm » 16 Oct 2013, 18:53

When I click the Mark as read link near the title of a virtual feed, the whole feed gets read, not only the visible items.

I am reading a label, organized with virtual feeds. I check all the headlines from one of the feeds, I find nothing interesting and I click Mark as read. What gets read is not what I am seeing on screen at that moment, it's the whole original feed. Headlines that I'm not seeing because they don't have the current label get marked as read (and possibly they were interesting for me and had some other label).

Is this behaviour on purpose? It feels unintuitive to me, since stuff out of sight is getting marked.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Mark as read in virtual feeds

Postby fox » 16 Oct 2013, 19:06

Next one asking why mark as read is marking things as read is getting a permaban.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 16 Oct 2013, 19:16

I'll risk the permaban.

Virtual feed title in a label =! Original feed

Mark as read in that case is not marking things as read. It's marking other things as read.

I completely understood and agreed the logic in the other cases that were discussed. Not this one. Virtual feeds in All feed or Recent feed are supposed to contain everything in the original feed. Virtual feeds in a label are supposed to contain only labeled items. When you click on a label, the context of the headline list changes to Only Labeled Items here. But the Mark as read action that is inside the headline list performs an action that is outside that context.
Last edited by davidm on 16 Oct 2013, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

charlie-tca
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby charlie-tca » 16 Oct 2013, 19:23

Do these virtual headlines work different? When I scroll through the list of headlines, as they disappear past the top margin, they get marked as read. If I want the whole list marked as read, I just scroll to the bottom of the headlines list.

fox

Postby fox » 16 Oct 2013, 19:28

For fucks sake. The link is next to the feed title in I assume to be "group headlines by feeds" configuration. What do you think it operates on? Hamsters?

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 16 Oct 2013, 19:31

fox, you answered just while I added this to my previous answer:

When you click on a label, the context of the headline list changes to Only Labeled Items here. But the Mark as read action that is inside the headline list (labeled items) performs an action that is outside that context (it acts on all items). That's how it feels to me. I expect that action to operate in context, that is: labeled items from this feed (aka hamsters).

Use case: this happens to me because: a) I do 80% of my reading through labels and b) I have a very complex set of filters and labels, and it's possible and intended that items from the same feed can get different labels.

fox

Postby fox » 16 Oct 2013, 19:45

To me this is exactly the same as main toolbar mark as read button acting on all articles except for visible ones. I'm afraid you'll have to live with it.

The scope in this case is the feed which you are marking as read. If you have confirmation dialogs enabled, it should even tell you so.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 16 Oct 2013, 19:57

Ok. To me the toolbar feels like not context-dependent, while the headline list feels like very context-dependent. But feeling is not the best method for UI design. I have enabled the confirmations. I disabled them so long ago that I didn't even remember they existed.

May I do a feature suggestion now? There is no context menu if you right-click on feed title now. It might be possible to add a context menu with actions such as "Select these items" or "Mark these items as read". (Yeah, an option. I'll ban myself if requested.)

fox

Postby fox » 17 Oct 2013, 13:34

This actually is not a bad idea.

e: also replaced mark as read with mark feed as read as to make it more intuitive.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 20 Oct 2013, 18:35

Tried it. Liked it. Thanked you.

To be true, I'm not sure about Mark group as read. It selects and marks selected as read. But, if other items are already selected in other groups, they will be marked as read as well and some users might not notice that. I prefer Select articles in group and then manually mark as read, it has zero ambiguity and no one will expect a different behaviour.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Oct 2013, 18:44

I think it should reset selection then before selecting the group then. Either that or remove that menu item altogether.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 20 Oct 2013, 19:06

I'd remove it.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 02 Nov 2013, 14:10

Thanks Fox, I'm using this feature all the time now. :)

Just a little improvement: would it be possible to reset the article selection also after the group has been marked as read? I can't really think of anything the user would want to do with selected articles that she has already massively marked as read.

Return to “Feature requests”