Possibility to load the real page in the preview

Request new functionality here
dev-zero
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Possibility to load the real page in the preview

Postby dev-zero » 15 Jan 2008, 11:08

Some feeds I read have only really short description instead of the full content. For such it would be nice to have an option to always load the page (the link points to) in the preview section.

Realizing it without iframes seems to be pretty hard since it's not possible to load a site from a different domain in a <div>, so caching the page (including the pictures and mangling the paths) would be needed. This could be realized using httrack's library but is still a lot of work.

Realizing this feature using iframes would therefore probably be the easiest way...

Thanks in advance! :-)

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Possibility to load the real page in the preview

Postby fox » 15 Jan 2008, 11:15

1. There would be no iframes in tt-rss. Not anymore.

2. This is, frankly, too much work for no good reason. We all have multi-tab multi-window browsers, there is no point in duplicating the functionality in tt-rss. It is, after all, a web application.

In short, ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

dev-zero
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby dev-zero » 16 Jan 2008, 19:18

fox wrote:1. There would be no iframes in tt-rss. Not anymore.

Well, I'd not use iframes in general, only for such feeds.

fox wrote:2. This is, frankly, too much work for no good reason. We all have multi-tab multi-window browsers, there is no point in duplicating the functionality in tt-rss. It is, after all, a web application.

Well, multiple tabs or windows is still too "clumsy" to be able to read the summary instead of just the headline (which is the only thing in the rss-feed).

Another option would be to have a simple way to load the page a link points to instead of the content in the feed and then being able to reformat/filter it (everything without caching additional stuff in the page).

Merlin8000
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Merlin8000 » 13 May 2008, 04:24

I agree with dev-zero, this feature is worth serious consideration. (Frames are NOT the way to go.)
Many feeds such as those from del.icio.us provide no summary/content, and take much more time to go through with a small sub-set of worth-while content, So I think it's a bit inaccurate to say that there's little payoff since the payoff is essentially the same as the preview feature itself.

Raix
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Raix » 13 May 2008, 08:44

I am just a regular user, and I would really like this to be implmented.

If possible I would like TT-RSS to downloading the linked webpage and than display it in the preview area, rather than loading directly from the webpage - this works well with how I use TT-RSS (hosted on a laptop, not always connected to the internet).

fox

Postby fox » 13 May 2008, 09:42

My stance on this issue is as follows: if content provider only puts short summary in the feed, this probably means that he wants you to visit his site to read everything else. It's not up to an rss reader to scrape arbitrary content from the internet, cache and show it to the end-user, thus depriving the content provider from page/ad views, clicks and what have you. Content providers are not stupid, once they figure it out, they will just start blocking tt-rss because it doesn't behave like a good netizen, which is not something I'd like to happen.

I understand that it would be more convenient to have a feature like this, but cons outweigh the pros. Feel free to implement something like this for yourself, but don't expect this feature in trunk.

I won't even get into the questions of various possible implementation problems and the fact that having a multiple window browser (who doesn't have something like this? Seriously, my E61i has tabs...) solves this problem to begin with.

Merlin8000
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Merlin8000 » 16 May 2008, 04:26

fox wrote:My stance on this issue is as follows:
if content provider only puts short summary in the feed, this probably means that he wants you to visit his site to read everything else.

Actually, it probably means that the provider used the default RSS publication settings. Or that the feed is used for external links (i.e. del.icio.us)
fox wrote:It's not up to an rss reader to scrape arbitrary content from the internet, cache and show it to the end-user,

That's exactly what this RSS reader does. It is the primary function.
fox wrote:thus depriving the content provider from page/ad views, clicks and what have you.

I fail to see how grabbing/displaying page content does this, considering that ads would come with it, increasing the provider's ad traffic
fox wrote:Content providers are not stupid, once they figure it out, they will just start blocking tt-rss because it doesn't behave like a good netizen, which is not something I'd like to happen.

If they aren't stupid, why don't they embed ads in their RSS content?
If they don't want their site scraped and they aren't stupid, why don't they specify that in robots.txt which is honored by every major web grabbing utility?
good netizens use robots.txt
fox wrote:I understand that it would be more convenient to have a feature like this, but cons outweigh the pros. Feel free to implement something like this for yourself, but don't expect this feature in trunk.

It would be and they don't. I'd love to implement this myself but frankly, maintaining my own features is more work than it's worth. However for those out there who want this feature, there's Yahoo! pipes http://pipes.yahoo.com, which has a utility for grabbing page content from URLs, and it honors robots.txt
fox wrote:I won't even get into the questions of various possible implementation problems and the fact that having a multiple window browser (who doesn't have something like this? Seriously, my E61i has tabs...) solves this problem to begin with.

Now you're making a real argument. Any palm device does not have this. The iPhone does not have this. And again, it's extra time to view content that may not even be interesting.

I can understand that this would not be an easy feature to implement, which is why I'm not asking that this feature be implemented. But I do think it's worth serious consideration, and I am asking that it be added to the wishlist. Someone may do the work to implement it if they thought that their work had a shot at making it into the trunk, someone may even pay for it to get there.

I'm really impressed with this reader, I'm new to it but it does seem to be one of the better readers I've used to date. Thanks for it.

fox

Postby fox » 17 May 2008, 12:05

That's exactly what this RSS reader does. It is the primary function.

Not really. It scrapes specific content, which is published for its use in special format. There is a difference.

I fail to see how grabbing/displaying page content does this, considering that ads would come with it, increasing the provider's ad traffic

So it should download pages from the internet recursively, with images, external links (e.g. ads) and everything and then cache it locally? I'm not sure that is a good idea.

Agreed on robots.txt thing. Also, Yahoo pipes look pretty cool.

Now you're making a real argument. Any palm device does not have this. The iPhone does not have this. And again, it's extra time to view content that may not even be interesting.

Seriously. Palm is dead on the internet. Not just dead, it never even lived. Blazer? Web-something? Feh. Trying to use Blazer was the primary reason I ditched my T5 and Palm in general for good several years ago. Well, that and the fact that Garnet sucked donkey balls with no end in sight.

iPhone doesn't have tabs? Wow. This is really stupid.

And again, it's extra time to view content that may not even be interesting.

How is clicking on something in tt-rss, waiting for the local cache of content to load is different from clicking on a link and waiting for it to load in a separate tab? Excluding the two weird edge cases (1: browser is stuck in Pleistocen and can't open multiple windows or 2: tt-rss works on a local computer with sporadic connection to the internet -- the situation where I really don't see why it is being used to begin with, proper desktop application would be a much better idea) is there any difference?

But I do think it's worth serious consideration, and I am asking that it be added to the wishlist. Someone may do the work to implement it if they thought that their work had a shot at making it into the trunk, someone may even pay for it to get there.

Sure. I'll add a link to this thread to the FeatureIdeas page on the wiki. Everyone interested is (well, as usual) free to discuss this feature on the forum. I have no problem with this whatsoever.

I have no plans to implement it myself for the time being, to reiterate, partially because it still doesn't click with me from the ethical standpoint and, partially, because it's not straightforward enough to do. As usual, this might change in the future, etc. :)

sivakumar
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sivakumar » 23 Aug 2008, 15:06

I think that downloading the original content and indexing it could be a good feature. This feature is very useful when you want to search a text which occurs in the original article and is not there either in title or the description. Google Reader has this and it comes handy when you are tracking many feeds and keep filtering articles by search text.
I agree that implementing this for "previewing" purposes alone might not be worth the effort. But for search, we need to retrieve only the textual content and index it.

Thanks,

MattKatz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby MattKatz » 29 Oct 2008, 02:19

I'm with fox on this one. Anyone who is competent enough to install their own web based rss reader should be able to whip up a quick, free yahoo pipes feed of whatever they want to scrape.

google reader doesn't do this, bloglines doesn't do this, netnewswire doesn't do this, and with good reason.
I'd rather see google gears support so you can take everything offline rather than something we can all easily automate around.

fox

Postby fox » 29 Oct 2008, 11:40

By the way, if anyone is still interested, try defining _ENABLE_INLINE_VIEW in config.php (requires trunk, I think I added it after .28). New icon will appear in article header, click it. :D

It's clunky and, well, the practical value is questionable, but it kinda works.

lomz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lomz » 05 Nov 2008, 01:57

I agree with fox on this one, actually I do prefer just seeing the summaries, it makes skimming trough all my feeds faster and I can concentrate on reading the things I find interesting.
I read aroung 700 feeds with the TT-RSS and effiency is heavily valued...

Return to “Feature requests”