Article Category Groups

Request new functionality here
niggles
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Article Category Groups

Postby niggles » 25 May 2014, 03:22

Hi All... loving this application... it's simple the best reader out there imo.

I have a LOT of feeds and some of them I view less often as others, and some feeds I just don't want to see in the fresh articles list.

My vision is for article category groups.

Feed Categories are user organized into Article Category Groups as defined by the user.

The purpose of Article Category Groups is to override basic functionality for presentation of feeds.

You might want some Article Category Groups never display in the Fresh Articles Stream for example if you are a news blogger and want to keep your private interest feeds separate.

You might want some Article Category Groups to only update daily or weekly as they aren't that important to you so this could be an option also.

Once an Article Category Group is created it appears in the Special section as a user titled article stream... this way the user can click on the stream and see only that grouping of feeds at a glance.

Please +1 this idea if you like it.

Cheers
N

pahles
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Article Category Groups

Postby pahles » 25 May 2014, 19:03

Where is the difference from regular feed categories? Just group the feeds you don't want to "see" that often in one category, move the category to the bottom of feeds, and collapse it. There, out of sight...

If you have a LOT of feeds the fresh articles view isn't very useful anyway (I know I never look at it, and I "only" have 61 feeds, but hey, that's my opinion).

BTW: you can change the update interval for every feed...

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 25 May 2014, 21:55

fresh articles is what I read, it's very handy, your opinion not withstanding, and I've got two or three hundred feeds.

if you dont want something in fresh articles, assign it a negative score and it won't go into fresh.

niggles
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby niggles » 26 May 2014, 01:02

Thanks pahles and sleeper_service for your answers.

I will try the negative scoring.

Cheers
N

bastage
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bastage » 26 May 2014, 23:26

Chiming in to say that negative scoring is definitely the way to go.

Note that you can set the filter to match everything in a "Feed Group" so that you can automatically stop feeds by showing up in "Fresh" just by putting them into that group.

nameless
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby nameless » 30 May 2014, 15:36

sleeper_service wrote:fresh articles is what I read, it's very handy, your opinion not withstanding, and I've got two or three hundred feeds.

if you dont want something in fresh articles, assign it a negative score and it won't go into fresh.

I've been doing this for quite some time now but when I mark my Fresh Articles as read All Articles is being marked as read a well which as a matter of fact makes this whole negative score thing kinda pointless.

Is this a bug of my side of thing or a feature that a just don't get?

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 30 May 2014, 16:45

nameless wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:fresh articles is what I read, it's very handy, your opinion not withstanding, and I've got two or three hundred feeds.

I've been doing this for quite some time now but when I mark my Fresh Articles as read All Articles is being marked as read a well which as a matter of fact makes this whole negative score thing kinda pointless.

Is this a bug of my side of thing or a feature that a just don't get?

well, of *course* marking fresh articles as all read also marks them as all read in all articles, because you're marking those articles as *read*.

it'd be pretty stupid to think that "ok, I marked this article as read here, but I want it to be unread there".

Fresh articles is a subset of all articles that are newer than some threshold that you set in your config, ie... fresh.

and, apparently you just don't get the whole idea of scoring, and negative scored articles not showing up in fresh.

nameless
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby nameless » 31 May 2014, 18:45

You apparently didnt get what I was trying to emphasize.
Maybe taking users seriously instead of anticipating them to be retards might help.

So let me repeat this for the less gifted among us:

When marking the subset of Fresh Articles as read everything (EVERY ARTICLE) in my instance of ttrss is being marked as read.
Are you going to tell me now this is the way it is supposed to work? Wouldn't this make the whole idea of having different article subsets obsolete regardless of artile scoring?

Kind regards

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 31 May 2014, 21:26

nope, didn't get it, too much flapping about around your point that it wasn't clear.

perhaps if you detailed exactly *how* you are marking all fresh articles read, we might see whether it's a bug, or working as intended and there's a misunderstanding as to the expected operation.

and, frankly, most users are retards. like, posting a vague refernce to some problem they're having, instead of saying "when I perform these steps, in this situation, this unexpected action occurs, step1, step2, step3".

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 31 May 2014, 23:15

nameless wrote:When marking the subset of Fresh Articles as read everything (EVERY ARTICLE) in my instance of ttrss is being marked as read.
Are you going to tell me now this is the way it is supposed to work?

If every unread article is less than 24 hours old (assuming you've not changed the defaults for Fresh Articles) then yes, it will mark everything read that is currently unread. What you may consider doing to see different behavior is to allow some articles to go unread for longer than 24 hours, or to mark some old articles unread, then try marking Fresh Articles read again. You'll see the older (> 24 hours old) articles remain unread.

Basically, if the number of articles in Fresh Articles is the same as the number in All Articles, then everything is going to end up marked read. If the number of articles in All Articles is greater than the number in Fresh Articles (speaking of the unread count here), then the difference between the two is what will remain unread if you mark Fresh Articles as read.

nameless
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby nameless » 01 Jun 2014, 18:46

Ah I see. So let me wrap this up for the sake of clarification:

When I mark Fresh Articles as read every Article that is younger than 24 hours (12 hours in my case) is going to be marked as read, no matter if currently listed in the subset of Fresh Articles (for example due to using scoring) whereas when marking a category as read the articles are marked as read based on the category they are assigned to?

I hope that was clear enough. Do i get that right?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 01 Jun 2014, 20:48

marking as read should ignore articles which are not in the feed, so if it doesn't do that, then it is most probably a bug.

nameless
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby nameless » 01 Jun 2014, 21:26

Thanks for pointing that out.

There is one other thing i noticed concerning the problem of articles getting marked as read accidentally.
When browsing Fresh Articles the items which are fetched while I am reading are getting marked as well when I mark the current listing as read even though they haven't been displayed yet. Has this been reported before?

I am running in this issue on two different ttrss instances on separate servers using mysql.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 01 Jun 2014, 21:33

It happens to some people but never to me so I have no idea why.

nameless
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby nameless » 01 Jun 2014, 21:56

I think it is a mysql issue. I never had this happen while I was using postgres.

Return to “Feature requests”