ALLOW_DUPLICATE_POSTS Feature

Request new functionality here
DigitalDJ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

ALLOW_DUPLICATE_POSTS Feature

Postby DigitalDJ » 25 Feb 2016, 14:29

Hi,

I've only just realized that this feature no longer exists in TT-RSS. Reviewing the GitLab code it seems it was recently fixed...then removed...but is there a reason for this?

Some time last year this feature broke, and I remember I submitted a pull request on Github to fix it.

At the time, I remember fox was contemplating on removing it, but I provided some reasoning to keep it around. I definitely use it...but I guess I'm minority.

The reasoning was as follows:

Have a main RSS feed that contains all articles for a particular site, but there is a second RSS feed that contains Top 50 posts from the same site. There are therefore duplicate articles, but having the two feeds helps churn through most interesting posts on days where the feed is very busy.

Can we get this feature back? Was it removed just because it made things too complex?

Cheers

DigitalDJ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: ALLOW_DUPLICATE_POSTS Feature

Postby DigitalDJ » 25 Feb 2016, 14:56

If it isn't coming back, here's the patch for those that want it.

ALLOW_DUPLICATE_POSTS.patch
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 25 Feb 2016, 15:09

there are multiple UI issues with articles having the same internal database ID which make the whole thing kinda confusing so I removed it

DigitalDJ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby DigitalDJ » 25 Feb 2016, 15:14

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 25 Feb 2016, 15:33

you click on a thing (or use a batch operation) and suddenly multiple things get marked as read

shock, horror, ensues

e: a lot of things are processed by ttrss_entries.id, rewriting everything to use user_entries is possible, i guess, but definitely not worth it, and even if someone bothers, i'm not going to merge the humongous patch resulting in this valiant attempt

a different possible solution is treating articles independently i.e. include feed_id into guid when duplicates enabled or something like that to escape the multiple user_entries -> one base entry scenario

Return to “Feature requests”