Daily feed update

Request new functionality here
cy8aer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Daily feed update

Postby cy8aer » 27 Jun 2016, 15:58

Because a friend has many (thousands - when will he read them??) feeds to be updated once a day I told him to select "once a day" for these. When I now looked at some feedbrowser download statistics I found one single peak of thousands of downloads at 4:00am and about 100 downloads per 5 minutes all around the day.

What if daily downloads would be spread around the day per feed (one at 5pm, one at 6:15am, just random times). One single peak saturates the wan connection and the cpu load at a single time. If the downloads are spread the net and cpu load would be just slightly higher the whole day round.

Of course, this is complicated because you need to handle the per feed dates (db change for storing a random time - what about the download time of old feeds? Generate new ones?) and maybe the user experience is unexpected because of the random date. And I don't want to have it implemented just now, but what are your thoughts about it?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Daily feed update

Postby fox » 27 Jun 2016, 16:28

unless you allow tt-rss to spawn unlimited update tasks concurrent updating is bottlenecked by the daemon/cronjob settings so this looks like a complete non-issue wrt network throughput/cpu load while adding additional complexity

in short, it's a bad and useless idea.

e: also, having a singular "high load" user who batch-added all their feeds at one single point, and set them to update daily is an edge case, of an edge case, of an edge case. think about it.

cy8aer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Re: Daily feed update

Postby cy8aer » 27 Jun 2016, 22:21

Hm, you are right. So it is more a psycological problem to help my friend not to subscribe too much useless feeds... :wink:

Return to “Feature requests”