Some requests related to new design

Request new functionality here
mimox
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Some requests related to new design

Postby mimox » 21 Nov 2010, 20:12

The new design is great, but a few things used to work better in the old version or could otherwise be improved:

* option to always show folders uncollapsed
* option to not show tabs (browser has tabs already)
* don't show labels folder if no labels are set
* could the "theme color" be configurable? :)

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Some requests related to new design

Postby fox » 21 Nov 2010, 20:52

Thanks for your comments! :)

1) the collapsed state of categories is actually stored server-side, unless I broke something
2) I'm not sure saving about 20px of vertical space warrants adding an option, tt-rss has a really bad case of too many options already. If you don't need the functionality, ignore it. I actually use it every day and my browser has tabs too. :)
3) good point, fixed in trunk
4) I'm using Dijit (http://www.dojotoolkit.org/widgets) which is themeable through CSS. There are a few themes available but currently there is no way to switch them in tt-rss and old native themes I had are mostly incompatible with the new UI. So this is something that'll need to be fixed at some point. For the time being you can try setting a user stylesheet in tt-rss and tweaking things there.

mimox
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mimox » 21 Nov 2010, 21:06

re 1: oh, right, this works now... didn't seem to work when I noticed (I made a note in order to report more than one thing, I should have re-checked)
re 2: well for netbook displays, losing 20px is kind of a big deal ;)
re 4: didn't know this library, cool stuff

somewhat related to #2: is there a way to turn off the context menu? I used to right-click -> open in new (browser) tab on the netbook. On the desktop, I just middle-click but without a mouse, middle-clicking is kind of hard...

fox

Postby fox » 21 Nov 2010, 21:21

I did a quick hack to support other Dijit themes and, well, they kinda suck - they are somewhat glitchy (well maybe my CSS is playing a part in it, but I digress) and personally I find them ugly. So I'm not sure it's worth it at this point to bother with them.

As to 2), you can do a simple CSS hack:

Code: Select all

#content-tabs .nowrapTabStrip { display : none; };

Context menus are experimental, I'm not sure if they'll stay at all. But it should have an option to open the original article in another browser tab, isn't that what you need?

mimox
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mimox » 21 Nov 2010, 23:50

it has "View in a new tab", which does not open in a new *browser* tab however

mimox
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mimox » 22 Nov 2010, 00:04

Two more things:

* does it make sense to show the "NEW" icon on every line in "Fresh articles"? those are always "NEW"?
* I can see why you positioned the feed icon on the right side (the left is already quite busy) but is it useful on the right?

fox

Postby fox » 22 Nov 2010, 00:29

mimox wrote:it has "View in a new tab", which does not open in a new *browser* tab however

fox

Postby fox » 22 Nov 2010, 00:30

mimox wrote:Two more things:

* does it make sense to show the "NEW" icon on every line in "Fresh articles"? those are always "NEW"?
* I can see why you positioned the feed icon on the right side (the left is already quite busy) but is it useful on the right?

1) this is just common markup, it's not worth the trouble to change it for one feed. Also, I hate lack of consistency.

2) you can click it to open the originating feed, that's why it's there.

mimox
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mimox » 23 Nov 2010, 22:47

fox wrote:As to 2), you can do a simple CSS hack:

#content-tabs .nowrapTabStrip { display : none; };

Thanks, I am using this now for a few days. I tried to give the toolbar a top border to make it look better but #main-toolbar { border-top: 1px solid #b5bcc7 !important; }; does not seem to work? Am I doing anything wrong?

Regarding the context menu... not sure about it. It felt quicker before using the native browser menu. It was actually easier... press, move-to-right, release. Not it is press, release, move-to-right, move-to-bottom, press, release

futtta
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby futtta » 24 Nov 2010, 15:05

great new design, dojo/dijit really works great for tt-rss!

my small request; the ability to disable the twitter-widget which is now under each article (on online.tt-rss.org that is) in the preferences :-)

fox

Postby fox » 24 Nov 2010, 15:34

great new design, dojo/dijit really works great for tt-rss!

Yeah, I pretty much fell in love instantly.

my small request; the ability to disable the twitter-widget which is now under each article (on online.tt-rss.org that is) in the preferences

There actually is an option, in config.php, which toggles this globally. I'm not sure I want to add a separate per-user preference for this because of the whole feature overload thing I'm trying to fight and enabling tweet button based on whether user had registered with Twitter in tt-rss isn't exactly right too for a variety of reasons.

You can probably just add something like this to user.css:

body#ttrssMain span#tweet-button { display : none ! important; }

fox

Postby fox » 24 Nov 2010, 15:36

mimox wrote:Thanks, I am using this now for a few days. I tried to give the toolbar a top border to make it look better but #main-toolbar { border-top: 1px solid #b5bcc7 !important; }; does not seem to work? Am I doing anything wrong?

I dunno. It should work, but for some reason it doesn't. Probably some JS/CSS magic Dijit does when initializing hides it.

Regarding the context menu... not sure about it. It felt quicker before using the native browser menu. It was actually easier... press, move-to-right, release. Not it is press, release, move-to-right, move-to-bottom, press, release

My main argument for the menu is that it makes it easier for people to find the add-article-to-ttrss-tab feature. Otherwise people would never really discover the whole ctrl-clicking thing. I generally don't like context menus in web applications, but it just looks like a necessary evil here.

futtta
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby futtta » 25 Nov 2010, 14:38

fox wrote:
my small request; the ability to disable the twitter-widget which is now under each article (on online.tt-rss.org that is) in the preferences

There actually is an option, in config.php, which toggles this globally. I'm not sure I want to add a separate per-user preference for this because of the whole feature overload thing I'm trying to fight and enabling tweet button based on whether user had registered with Twitter in tt-rss isn't exactly right too for a variety of reasons.

I understand your concerns about preference-overload. however,
  • as the twitter-button is essentially an external (mini-)application you're pulling into tt-rss
  • as there might be other similar widgets there (facebook would make much sense I guess, and there are others)
  • as hiding the twitter widget with css does not stop it from loading (with some performance & privacy concerns)

having a generic preference "include 3rd party sharing widgets" would make much sense?

a review of all preferences however, could be beneficial. if you want I can review, if some others do as well (or if you add some tracking of preference usage on online) we might be able to come up with a better preferences screen?

fox

Postby fox » 25 Nov 2010, 15:23

btw, I've reworked the tweet button. It no longer does anything with twitter.com unless you actually click on it + it's way less obtrusive now.

having a generic preference "include 3rd party sharing widgets" would make much sense?

Given that there is essentially one widget, it would translate to the same thing anyway.

a review of all preferences however, could be beneficial. if you want I can review, if some others do as well (or if you add some tracking of preference usage on online) we might be able to come up with a better preferences screen?

Sure, I'd like to hear opinions on the subject.

Also, I'd like to note for posterity that having twitter button in tt-rss doesn't mean I'm going to add every social network anyone asks for into trunk. Whoever wants to have their identi.ca or facebook or whatever other thingie is free to hack the source.

Return to “Feature requests”