Mark as Read button?

Questions about http://online.tt-rss.org go here
ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Mark as Read button?

Postby ginahoy » 04 Jan 2010, 04:53

I noticed in the Interface Preferences section under "On catchup show next feed", the explanatory text refers to a "Mark as read" button in the toolbar. I'm not concerned with this option, but your reference to a "Mark as read" button caught my attention. I don't have such a button on my UI. The way I've been marking articles as read is with Actions dropdown. This takes two mouse-clicks. Is this what you meant, or is there supposed to be an actual button for this?

In any case, a "Mark as Read" button on the user interface would be a nice addition. It's the ONLY thing I miss about the Google Reader.

David

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Mark as Read button?

Postby fox » 04 Jan 2010, 11:29

Well, there was a button for it. For whatever reason, it didn't survive and the functionality got moved into the dropdown thingie.

Now that I think about it, though, having this button back might not be a bad idea.

doenietzomoeilijk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby doenietzomoeilijk » 04 Jan 2010, 12:00

Correct me if I'm wrong, but keyboard-wise you achieve the same effect with f-q, right? Not that that's the same as a big ol' button (and I'd like one too, for when my hand happens to be on the mouse instead of the keyboard), but in the end you achieve the same effect.

(Totally love the fact that I can use the keyboard, BTW) =]

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 07 Jan 2010, 04:14

Thanks for bringing back the Mark As Read button!

Hypernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Hypernova » 07 Jan 2010, 06:59

I'm really glad that "Mark as Read" button come back, but doesn't it make more sense to mark the entries shown as read rather that whole feed? I just mark ~300 entries in "flesh articles" as read without get a chance to read it :(

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 07 Jan 2010, 08:32

To me, it makes more sense for Mark As Read to act on the entire feed or group of feeds, as currently implemented. Admittedly, my preference is influenced by the fact that Google Reader's Mark As Read button works the same way, and it's the only other reader I've used. In any case, it may be difficult to implement code that could keep track of which articles are currently visible in scroll window.

BTW, couldn't you recover the stories you 'lost' by simply setting the drop-down to 'All Articles'?

Hypernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Hypernova » 07 Jan 2010, 09:55

I see. I believe all offline client "mark as read" only mark the currently shown entries as read. Well, I hope I can have an option to change that, at least.

About the lost ones, my "all article" is simply too big. I though tt-rss automatically delete old stuff. Maybe I should start manually delete those. Thanks for suggestion.

fox

Postby fox » 07 Jan 2010, 12:30

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 07 Jan 2010, 19:28

fox

Postby fox » 07 Jan 2010, 20:16

Ah. Online doesn't really give you anything purging-related, it should happen automatically. If it doesn't, this means I broke something. :D

Ed: Now that I think about it, the predefined limit for article storage on Online is a bit high compared to the resources I have (it is set to 60 days). I might need to reduce it to have the whole thing a bit more manageable.

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 07 Jan 2010, 21:23

The user does have the ability to delete selected articles using the selection drop-down. But unless this is done routinely, the process becomes cumbersome since you can only select articles that are currently in the window. I just spent 10 minutes deleting all articles since I set up TT-RSS last weekend.

If you were to give Online users the option of setting a purge time (in hours) for articles marked as read, I would probably set it to 24 hours (just in case I wanted to refer back to an article). You could default it to zero, which would automatically purge articles as they are marked as read. This would dramatically reduce your storage requirements.

A different issue is how long to store unread articles. I think even 30 days is too long. If someone isn't checking their feeds at least once a month, they probably aren't a serious user.

Hypernova
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Hypernova » 07 Jan 2010, 21:34

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 07 Jan 2010, 21:51

Opps! regarding my previous post...
I just realized purging articles that have been marked as read breaks the ability of TT-RSS to avoid duplicates. After manually deleting everything in my feeds, tons of articles are beginning to show up that I already saw :(

The New York Times, Reuters, AP and other news services continuously feed current news stories for 12 to 24 hours, sometimes longer, depending on the story. The only change is the timestamp. Topical category feeds like Science or Medicine might continue to feed a story for a couple of weeks. These are typically very low volume.

Ideally, the user could set the purge time for each feed. I imagine this would be a bit more cumbersome to implement, but it would go a long way to reduce your storage requirements. At least in the case of news services, the highest volume feeds would only require short purge windows in order to avoid duplicates. I would probably set the main news feeds to 48 hours and the topical feeds to 3 weeks. Blogs, Forums, and other non-news feeds could be safely set to zero.

fox

Postby fox » 07 Jan 2010, 22:58

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 07 Jan 2010, 23:35

Return to “Online”