Android app ideas (with partial implementations)

Request new functionality here
craywolf
Mr. Awesome

Re: Android app ideas (with partial implementations)

Postby craywolf » 10 Apr 2013, 18:53

fox wrote:Nah, all of it could easily be added, just like many other terrible ideas the google reader escapee populace is generating here.

I'm a Google Reader escapee and I think the TT-RSS android app is just fine. But then I understand how "read/unread" has worked in just about every computer program ever. And I don't think two taps to "Set unread," or looking at a separate "starred" feed, is some sort of Herculean effort.

One of the things I like best about TT-RSS is that fox does take useful suggestions and implement them, but doesn't take every single suggestion that people blurt out. Sometimes using new software means learning a new workflow. If TT-RSS doesn't work for you, there are plenty of other options.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 10 Apr 2013, 19:48

craywolf wrote:
fox wrote:Nah, all of it could easily be added, just like many other terrible ideas the google reader escapee populace is generating here.

I'm a Google Reader escapee and I think the TT-RSS android app is just fine. But then I understand how "read/unread" has worked in just about every computer program ever. And I don't think two taps to "Set unread," or looking at a separate "starred" feed, is some sort of Herculean effort.

One of the things I like best about TT-RSS is that fox does take useful suggestions and implement them, but doesn't take every single suggestion that people blurt out. Sometimes using new software means learning a new workflow. If TT-RSS doesn't work for you, there are plenty of other options.

I'm with Craywolf here. I'm also a refugee from Google Reader and frankly, I wish I'd found tt-rss earlier. Google Reader was all I knew so I didn't know any better. All of my Google Reader annoyances are gone. Even if Google Reader were resurrected, I'd still be using tt-rss.

I think the idea of having a combined starred/unread virtual feed (if that's the right term) is... silly at best.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 19:52

LifeWOutMilk wrote:
blainemono wrote:Second, you can fuck right off, then mark yourself as unfuckoffed, then fuck right off again.

I starred this just so I could read it again.

lol

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 10 Apr 2013, 21:00

fox wrote:Imagine if google reader poked them in the eye each time they opened an article. They'd be demanding for me to implement it in tt-rss.

Fox, *whine*, I miss my eyepokes... the scabs are starting to heal, what'm I to do now that I'm using your pokeless tt-rss?

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 10 Apr 2013, 21:19

craywolf wrote:One of the things I like best about TT-RSS is that fox does take useful suggestions and implement them, but doesn't take every single suggestion that people blurt out. Sometimes using new software means learning a new workflow. If TT-RSS doesn't work for you, there are plenty of other options.

here here, agreed, thumbs up, etc.

from another google reader refugee.

arkolbus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby arkolbus » 10 Apr 2013, 21:58

craywolf wrote:I'm a Google Reader escapee and I think the TT-RSS android app is just fine. But then I understand how "read/unread" has worked in just about every computer program ever. And I don't think two taps to "Set unread," or looking at a separate "starred" feed, is some sort of Herculean effort.

It's by no means herculean, but that's not the point. A combined feed would be a (minor) improvement (for some). If someone doesn't want it, they don't have to use it. I'm sure most people don't publish, but it's still there as a button in the app and as a virtual feed in the list.

If a new virtual feed is off the table, can we try something else? Since "Starred articles" is supposed to be a good way to handle "read this later", how about the following:
1) Instead of an unread count for starred items, can it show the total item count (on the web and in the app)? It would be a nice visual reminder that there are articles that I've saved for later.
2) Can "Starred articles" be brought near the top of the feed list in the app (pref. right under "Fresh articles", like on the web)?

Either way, it's all minor, and I'm not going to raise hell about it. I admire that fox has a vision, has stuck to that vision, and has executed. It's also nice that he's provided his source under GPL. tt-rss is a fine piece of software, and I have no major complaints.

fox

Postby fox » 10 Apr 2013, 22:38

Having counters reflect different things is a highly confusing and inconsistent thing. This has been brought up before several years ago and my opinion on this has not changed. It is an unread counter. Nothing more, nothing less.

>Instead of an unread count for starred items, can it show the total item count (on the web and in the app)? It would be a nice visual reminder that there are articles that I've saved for later.

You can also use starred as a general archive if you don't need to save them for later. This way you'll have thousands of articles seemingly unread in the feed at all times which would be bloody annoying.

>I'm sure most people don't publish, but it's still there as a button in the app and as a virtual feed in the list.

The difference is first one is a valid feature with actual uses, as opposed to mark as unread which is a kludge / debugging tool. I don't want people to continue doing this mark as unread shit which is why the feature is not emphasized in the UI. On the other hand, I understand that some people can't change, which is why it is actually there.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious way too much today.

arkolbus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby arkolbus » 10 Apr 2013, 23:03

Well, it was worth a shot. Thanks anyway.

malsbury
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby malsbury » 15 May 2013, 18:24

I found this thread while searching for an answer as to why "mark as unread" was no longer in the tt-rss drop down menu. I see that there was already a discussion around the merits of the function, but I hope it is not to late for me to explain my use of it and why I miss it.

I use the Star feature to mark items that I have read, but would like keep available for future reference (to reference in a post of my own, a recipe to try, etc). I used the mark unread feature primarily on my mobile device if I was skimming through a feed while waiting somewhere. I'd look at the short articles I'd have time for and mark longer ones unread for later. When I got home I those would then be waiting for me at the top of the feed as I'd go through them in the evening. I would also use it to mark posts with videos in them as unread since I couldn't view them on the android app.

Unless the feature was removed because it conflicted with another feature you are adding, would it be possible to have the option to enable for people that found it useful?

Thanks for all the work you have put into tt-rss.

-malsbury

fox

Postby fox » 15 May 2013, 18:27

>I found this thread while searching for an answer as to why "mark as unread" was no longer in the tt-rss drop down menu.

Seriously. It's in the actionbar now.

malsbury
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby malsbury » 15 May 2013, 18:55

fox wrote:Seriously. It's in the actionbar now.

I'm sorry if this struck you as odd since my google search was the exact opposite of the request of the previous commenter. I don't really care where the feature is, I just can't seem to access it.

I am currently up to date using the 1.7.9 tt-rss install on my server and the 1.7.5 version of the android app on my phone. When I am reading the an article, my action bar has (Star) (Publish) (Share) (Email) (...) and then in the (...) menu I have "Set Labels", "Publish with note", "Mark above read" & "Settings"

If I back out to the Headline View, I can long press on the article title and bring up a menu where I can select (Un)Read to toggle the status of the article. If this is what you are referencing that is fine I just didn't find it until I poked around some more after your message. I was just looking for a way to do it from within the article view as I am skimming through them the volume key.

Again, I hope I didn't come across as a complaint. I'm really enjoying tt-rss and the control and features it offers.

Thanks for the reply.

-malsbury

fox

Postby fox » 15 May 2013, 20:08

Strange, I'm talking about the bottom right icon here (the envelope)
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1368634067414.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1368634067414.jpg (133.18 KiB) Viewed 3762 times

malsbury
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby malsbury » 15 May 2013, 21:09

fox wrote:Strange, I'm talking about the bottom right icon here (the envelope)

Well, I am just going to crawl back into my hole and we can pretend I didn't even bring this up.

I just saw the envelope and assumed it was email. I now see the icon changes from open to closed when toggled.

Thanks for the hand holding.

oliroe
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby oliroe » 24 May 2013, 02:32

Any chance of the app moving on to the next unread feed after clicking Mark all as read? It's unintuitive to be faced by a blank screen rather than something else to read

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Feature requests”