Update daemon is not running

If you run tt-rss on an officially unsupported platform (shared hosting, Windows, etc.) post here
qubix
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Update daemon is not running

Postby qubix » 22 May 2013, 02:17

I want to start out by saying, I'm sorry for having to ask this. I've attempted to search the forum but the answers I've seen are years old. I am not sure they apply since this error just started with the most recent update. I just updated to v1.7.9 and I'm now seeing this error. When I click on the box I see:
Update daemon is enabled in configuration, but daemon process is not running, which prevents all feeds from updating. Please start the daemon process or contact instance owner.
Last update: 1970.01.01, 0:00

In the Preferences / System / Log I see:

Code: Select all

E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:10
E_WARNING (2)   classes/dlg.php:73   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:09
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:09
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:09
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:08
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:08
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:02
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:02
E_WARNING (2)   classes/dlg.php:73   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:01
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:01
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:01
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:00
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   17:00
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:59
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:59
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:42
E_WARNING (2)   classes/dlg.php:73   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:42
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:42
E_WARNING (2)   classes/dlg.php:73   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:41
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:41
E_WARNING (2)   include/functions.php:2136   file_get_contents(lock/update_daemon.stamp): failed to open stream: No such file or directory   admin   16:41

For what it's worth, I keep thinking that it's a file permissions thing so in the lock/ directory I see:

drwxrwxrwx  2 q pg1416808 4096 May 19 21:53 .
drwxr-xr-x 18 q pg1416808 4096 May 19 19:15 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 q pg1416808    0 May 13 02:34 .empty
-rwxr-xr-x  1 q pg1416808   31 May 13 02:34 .htaccess
-rw-r--r--  1 q pg1416808    6 May 19 21:53 update_daemon.lock

My webhost is DreamHost. I haven't had any issues up until this most recent update.

Any help would be appreciated.

sohle
I Can't Search Before Posting

Re: Update daemon is not running

Postby sohle » 24 May 2013, 19:52

I have the exact same problem as the OP after the update to version 1.7.9. In addition to the information given above I want to add that I get the following output when I try to start the update_daemon2.php script:

@40000000519f89c51ab1f23c [15:39:39/18508] [MASTER] active jobs: 0, next spawn at 60 sec.
@40000000519f8a011b53049c [15:40:39/18508] [MASTER] active jobs: 0, next spawn at 0 sec.
@40000000519f8a021b6ed1cc [15:40:40/18508] [MASTER] spawned client 0 [PID:25638]...
@40000000519f8a021b6ed99c [15:40:40/18508] [MASTER] spawned client 1 [PID:25639]...
@40000000519f8a021ba8a67c sh: /usr/bin/php: No such file or directory
@40000000519f8a021bad981c sh: /usr/bin/php: No such file or directory
@40000000519f8a031c5e69bc [15:40:41/18508] [reap_children] child 25638 reaped.
@40000000519f8a031c5e718c [15:40:41/18508] [reap_children] child 25639 reaped.
@40000000519f8a031c5e7574 [15:40:41/18508] [SIGCHLD] jobs left: 0

The messages above return in a never ending loop.

Is there anyone who can give a hint on what could be the problem here?

Thanks a lot.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 25 May 2013, 21:48

The problem here is your lack of reading comprehension and/or being incapable of searching before posting. Hope that helped.

gordol
Joy Division

Postby gordol » 25 May 2013, 23:54

The problem here is your lack of reading comprehension and/or being incapable of searching before posting. Hope that helped.

No, fox, that did NOT help. There is no call to be downright RUDE to your users. Like the other two, I too am seeing this error. I too searched the forums and this was the only thread I found for it. However, while I believe I know the cause of this, I am unable to locate the fix.

I just installed tt-rss on my shared hosting server and proceeded to run the update process as recommended in the documentation, setting up the daemon to keep it updated. On the shell, I ran ''/opt/php53/bin/php ./update.php --daemon" and then I was told my by hosting service that I am not actually allowed to run daemons. The command line options for the update.php, as shown BY update.php itself are:

Options:
--feeds - update feeds
--feedbrowser - update feedbrowser
--daemon - start single-process update daemon
--task N - create lockfile using this task id
--cleanup-tags - perform tags table maintenance
--quiet - don't output messages to stdout
--log FILE - log messages to FILE
--indexes - recreate missing schema indexes
--update-schema - update database schema
--convert-filters - convert type1 filters to type2
--force-update - force update of all feeds
--list-plugins - list all available plugins
--help - show this help

So it tells me how to turn on it being updated by a daemon, but not how to turn it off. I am now updating via the command line in cron. How does one disable the --daemon set flag?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 26 May 2013, 00:06

Please violate terms of your shared hosting account somewhere else. GLHF.

gordol
Joy Division

Postby gordol » 26 May 2013, 00:16

fox wrote:Please violate terms of your shared hosting account somewhere else. GLHF.

Speaking of a lack of reading comprehension... I said that I killed the daemon when I was informed I can't run one. Now I want to know how to tell your software to stop trying to find it. Help or don't, but don't abuse and insult your users.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 26 May 2013, 04:21

gordol wrote:
fox wrote:Please violate terms of your shared hosting account somewhere else. GLHF.

Speaking of a lack of reading comprehension... I said that I killed the daemon when I was informed I can't run one. Now I want to know how to tell your software to stop trying to find it. Help or don't, but don't abuse and insult your users.

perhaps you should come back when you understand a little bit about how programs work?

How does one disable the --daemon set flag?

then you'd know that one disables the --daemon flag by not specifying it on the command line, and you wouldn't ask questions like that in public.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 26 May 2013, 04:27

gordol wrote:

There is no call to be downright RUDE to your users.

in case you haven't noticed, fox has no patience for stupidity, and very little for ignorance. when someone posts something like the above:

and says they have no idea what's going on, they're begging for a 'RUDE' response.

gordol
Joy Division

Postby gordol » 26 May 2013, 04:58

sleeper_service wrote:
gordol wrote:

There is no call to be downright RUDE to your users.

in case you haven't noticed, fox has no patience for stupidity, and very little for ignorance. when someone posts something like the above:

and says they have no idea what's going on, they're begging for a 'RUDE' response.

Yeah, well, he was also rude/abusive to me too.

In my caee, I know what the problem is and the likely cause, but I cannot locate the fix in the documentation.

I've been in customer service my entire career, the last 13 or so years in tech support. If I wad ever that rude to a user, regardless of free/paid or apparent "stupidity", I'd be fired.

charlie-tca
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby charlie-tca » 26 May 2013, 05:15

Those of us that work for others must abide by the rules those others set. Those who work for ourselves must abide by the rules we set for ourselves. While I admit fox can be rude at times, I also recall reading in the documentation that windows, shared support etc will not be supported. Therefore, anyone asking for support for those items is being rude, either intentionally or otherwise.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 26 May 2013, 05:49

gordol wrote:Yeah, well, he was also rude/abusive to me too.

In my caee, I know what the problem is and the likely cause, but I cannot locate the fix in the documentation.

I've been in customer service my entire career, the last 13 or so years in tech support. If I wad ever that rude to a user, regardless of free/paid or apparent "stupidity", I'd be fired.

or, maybe he was just replying to the first person, and ignoring you.

if you know what the problem is, what is it?

and, if youv'e been in customer support for 13 years, I'm sure you've had thoughts, and wishes, of being able to push the "chlorinate" button on your phone and remove the idiot on the other end from the gene pool.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 26 May 2013, 06:16

charlie-tca wrote:Those of us that work for others must abide by the rules those others set. Those who work for ourselves must abide by the rules we set for ourselves. While I admit fox can be rude at times, I also recall reading in the documentation that windows, shared support etc will not be supported. Therefore, anyone asking for support for those items is being rude, either intentionally or otherwise.

SCORE!

gordol
Joy Division

Postby gordol » 26 May 2013, 06:30

sleeper_service wrote:or, maybe he was just replying to the first person, and ignoring you.

The comment about violating the TOS was clearly a reply to my message.
if you know what the problem is, what is it?

I have the same "Daemon is not running" error as the OP. Except no additional errors. I had run the "update.php --daemon" command before I knew that I'm not allowed to run resident daemons. I killed it and I'm now using cron to run the updater periodically and quit. I think this may be the cause of my issue.

and, if youv'e been in customer support for 13 years, I'm sure you've had thoughts, and wishes, of being able to push the "chlorinate" button on your phone and remove the idiot on the other end from the gene pool.

Oh, most definitely. Whoever said that there is no such thing as a stupid question never worked in customer service.

gordol
Joy Division

Postby gordol » 26 May 2013, 06:44

sleeper_service wrote:
charlie-tca wrote:Those of us that work for others must abide by the rules those others set. Those who work for ourselves must abide by the rules we set for ourselves. While I admit fox can be rude at times, I also recall reading in the documentation that windows, shared support etc will not be supported. Therefore, anyone asking for support for those items is being rude, either intentionally or otherwise.

The only thing my install being on a shared server has to do with this is that I am contractually not allowed to run a resident daemon. The command line via cron to update the feeds every half hour is no problem, and the install works. I just get an annoying error box that the update daemon is not running.

gordol
Joy Division

Postby gordol » 26 May 2013, 07:00

sleeper_service wrote:
How does one disable the --daemon set flag?

then you'd know that one disables the --daemon flag by not specifying it on the command line, and you wouldn't ask questions like that in public.

The daemon is not running, therefor the is no daemon to not turn off. The problem, since you apparently have the same combination of rudeness and reading comprehension issues as Fox, is that the RSS reader UI is looking for an update daemon that is not running.

The documentation for how to update the feeds says that not all users can use the daemon method and that they can use cron instead, which I am doing. But in doing so, I am getting a specific undocumented error and instead of helping, you and the developer are doing nothing but heaping abuse on those with this error.

So either help or shut the fuck up.

And if that gets me banned, then so be it. In the short time I've been here, I am oh so not impressed by the level of integrity of this "community".

Return to “Unsupported platforms”