ATT: Fox

gordol
Joy Division

ATT: Fox

Postby gordol » 28 May 2013, 01:44

To fox et al:

I swear that the FAQ item on the daemon.lock file was not there on Saturday when this shitstorm started. Be that as it may, your total and complete lack of sympathy is pathetic. Fox, you have engendered a poisonous environment here that is outright hostile to new users. You say in the faq:
Fox, why are you so hostile / terrible to users

It's nothing personal. Primarily it is a time management problem.

To this I say that if you have the time to be hostile to users, you have time to be helpful.

You and yours attempts to belittle me for refusing to back down when being heaped with abuse only goes to show just how little you know about civil behavior and customer service. Not everyone is a UNIX engineer, and I never claimed that any of my tech support or general customer service experience was in UNIX/Linux. I am a Windows guy. I can navigate around a *nix shell and I can follow directions on the command line. I know enough to usually find the commands I need, and how to get information out of the shell, once I know what I'm looking for.

And your attitudes do not account for people who may not know everything but are looking for help and looking to learn.

You have a "Donate" button on your project page. Well, call this a tantrum if it makes you feel big and oh-so-superior, but I will not be using that button. I was going to because I believe in fair pay for good work or services. The self-hosted commercial RSS server Fever costs a one-time fee of US$30, so I was going to donate probably about US$20 for your software. But now, forget it.

Oh, I'm not going to uninstall your software. Rather, I will continue to use it, leaching off your work as long as I can.

Respond or not, I don't care. Apologize or continue to heap abuse, I don't care as I will not be returning to this festering hellhole of a place.

The FAQ also has this:

I'm on a shared hosting, and...

Too bad. Contact your hosting support. Running tt-rss on shared hosting of any kind is NOT SUPPORTED. Do not file bugs about shared hosting restrictions, they will be closed.

To this, I say that for MOST questions/issues, it is completely irrelevent if the install is on a dedicated or shared server. SQL is still there, PHP is still there, the user still has the necessary environments and permissions. For the question I had it was certainly an irrelevant distinction as to the shared/dedicated status of where I had the software installed. Now that I've cleared the lock file, TT-RSS is running just fine on my SHARED hosted server.

craywolf
Mr. Awesome

Re: ATT: Fox

Postby craywolf » 28 May 2013, 02:08

gordol wrote:I swear that the FAQ item on the daemon.lock file was not there on Saturday when this shitstorm started.

Here's a copy of the page from January 2012 - over a year ago.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 28 May 2013, 03:30

craywolf wrote:
gordol wrote:I swear that the FAQ item on the daemon.lock file was not there on Saturday when this shitstorm started.

Here's a copy of the page from January 2012 - over a year ago.

I'll bet he's not smart enough to feel stupid now.

but, for you, high five!

Last edited by sleeper_service on 28 May 2013, 05:53, edited 3 times in total.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 28 May 2013, 03:34

gordol wrote:To fox et al:

Oh, I'm not going to uninstall your software. Rather, I will continue to use it, leaching off your work as long as I can.

Respond or not, I don't care. Apologize or continue to heap abuse, I don't care as I will not be returning to this festering hellhole of a place.

oh, god, no, you've ruined him, Fox will now, no doubt, thanks solely to you, live out a life of penury, and we'll be denied his wounderful software, when he won't be able to afford electricity for his computers anymore.

and, hey, some of us *like* this festering hellhole, er, I mean, place where people can get competent, prompt help when asking intelligent, non-belligerant questions. (you failed on both counts).

gbcox
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby gbcox » 28 May 2013, 04:19

To this I say that if you have the time to be hostile to users, you have time to be helpful.

Good grief... but obviously you don't have time to RTFM... and instead throw a tantrum. Nice... :shock:
There is an old adage... If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 28 May 2013, 04:50

The FAQ even has this gem:

Fox, why are you so hostile / terrible to users
It's nothing personal. Primarily it is a time management problem.

Tiny Tiny RSS is a long running (started in 2005) hobby project of mine. I work on it at my spare time, which is of limited quantity. I share my work with other people because I feel that giving something back to the open source community is a right thing to do.

Unfortunately, it doesn't pay my bills. I can't afford turning community management (e.g. answering stupid questions again and again because new people gracing tt-rss community with their presence largely can't be bothered to read anything) into a full time job, I already got one.

Which is why I prefer to either mock or not deal with people like that. Whether you like it or not, unless tt-rss becomes my job, it's how this is going to be. Luckily, you don't have to deal with me to use my software, it is open for a reason.

(Emphasis mine)

So with that said, um....

Knock yourself out?

:roll:

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 28 May 2013, 08:27

Topic of the week, will read again.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 28 May 2013, 08:31