Android add possibility to use a proxy

Request new functionality here
asack
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Android add possibility to use a proxy

Postby asack » 28 May 2013, 19:27

I like your android app very much, but sometimes I need to use a socks proxy to connect to my tt-rss installation. Then i have to use the web interface, which isn't as good as the app on a small screen.
Would it be possible to include the possibility to use a proxy setting?

I think there is no other way to use a socks proxy without root. (at least I didn't found one)

Thanks in advance.

cy8aer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Re: Android add possibility to use a proxy

Postby cy8aer » 28 May 2013, 23:01

It definitely works with the global proxy settings. I use it with a privoxy and with this proxy all add banners are away in posts (that is my test for every android application, the banners are missing at other points too). Just select your actual wifi ssid - change network - additional options and set your proxy for this wifi setup (this works on Nexus4 and Nexus7 - Android 4.1?up)

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 28 May 2013, 23:17

Yeah I don't see how per-app proxy settings are anything but bad design.

PerryWerneck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby PerryWerneck » 28 May 2013, 23:37

Hi,

Yep, I "partially" agree but there are some companies where due to the (strange) network design you need to access some feeds with a proxy and some others dont. ((-:

Worst: For security reasons the proxy password shouldn't be set in the system then, you have to do the proxy autenticatin in every application.

asack
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby asack » 29 May 2013, 01:12

I am using a ssh-tool to connect to my home-server and to open a port as a socks-proxy. In "Firefox for Android" I can use this proxy without a problem because I have the same settings as in the desktop version. But in the android wifi settings I can only use http proxies and not a socks proxy.

I'm running tt-rss at home on a Raspberry Pi. I can access ssh over the internet, but I don't want to open the webserver towards the internet. With this setup I can connect from every computer except my android devices.

If you say that you won't put proxy settings in the tt-rss app, I will continue using Firefox until I find a better solution. (or Android can use socks proxies)

Edit: A friend told me to try to forward port 80 from the server to my phone port 8000, and then use http://localhost:8000/tt-rss/ in the app settings. This works good enough, but now I need to change the adress of the tt-rss installation every time I want to connect from the outside.

tbar
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tbar » 29 May 2013, 09:44

asack wrote:Edit: A friend told me to try to forward port 80 from the server to my phone port 8000, and then use http://localhost:8000/tt-rss/ in the app settings. This works good enough, but now I need to change the adress of the tt-rss installation every time I want to connect from the outside.

Then why not setup a DNS server at home? Dnsmasq is probably a perfect fit...

Return to “Feature requests”