opml import fail

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
elangelo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

opml import fail

Postby elangelo » 24 Jun 2013, 12:49

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate my feeds from my old tt-rss instance to a new one. I exported the old feeds succesfully, but when i try to import them into my new instance i just get the OPML Import popup which then prints one line 'Processing category: Uncategorized'. Then it just seems to gang there, no errors, just nothing.

To make sure nothing was wrong with my install i tried to import my original Google Reader takeout 'opml', and that seems to work perfectly fine.

The old and new install are both v1.8 with a postgresql backend.

Any suggestions?

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Re: opml import fail

Postby sleeper_service » 24 Jun 2013, 13:06

not that it matters, but, why are you exporting and importing feeds? why not just copy over the db?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 24 Jun 2013, 13:25

Check apache error logs for any errors while importing.

elangelo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby elangelo » 24 Jun 2013, 13:45

I fixed it by editing the opml file that i exported, not sure what was wrong with it but i remove the whiteline on top, remove the date tag from the head and everything in the tt-rss tag. after that it imported flawlessly.

I didn't want to import the db as it's not worth the effort. There were no error in the errors.log, still something must be wrong with the exported file, pretty sure you can reproduce this easily.

fox

Postby fox » 24 Jun 2013, 13:48

It would be a lot easier if you posted the lines you removed here, preferably with some context.

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joseph-mx » 25 Jun 2013, 10:54

please share.

some of our users have issue with importing too..
good to know all the bugs and we can fix it.

imsinfo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby imsinfo » 26 Jun 2013, 01:44

I am having this same issue. I am unable to attach the OPML file directly to the forum so I have created a screen shots. Hopefully this helps. This OPML file was extracted from TTRSS 1.8 Centos 6.4

This is the original OPML opened with texedit, as you can see it is formatted oddly and there are a lot squares between all of the spaces. This will not import back into TTRSS

I believe whatever those squares represent are the main issue because when I open the same OPML file in Wordpad, the same file opens up cleanly formatetd, and only needs the top space removed as shown in the picture, then re-saved and everything imports fine to TTRSS.

fox

Postby fox » 26 Jun 2013, 02:46

Squares are most probably notepad freaking over unix line endings, it's nothing to worry about. Now why there's anything before the initial xml declaration I have no idea and yes it could lead to parse errors.

elangelo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby elangelo » 28 Jun 2013, 09:20

sorry, i forgot to keep an eye on this topic (no notifications), i'll have a look what lines i actually had to remove to make it work .

elangelo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby elangelo » 29 Jun 2013, 10:47

I've checked this and the only line that is to blame is the first blank line. Obviously makes it invalid XML. Don't know what classes you use to export/import the xml file but i can now 'fix' the OPML by just deleting that first line. In the mean time i have confirmed i can import/export 1.8 files without a problem (obviously the blank line problem is fixed there)

gr,EA

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joseph-mx » 30 Jun 2013, 11:49

sleeper_service wrote:not that it matters, but, why are you exporting and importing feeds? why not just copy over the db?

i remember there might be a problem if one is using a very old version of tt-rss. (1.5 ?)

i need to go and export the opml and reimport it to the freshly install tt-rss to fix it.. :mrgreen:

Return to “Support”