Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Official Android client

Postby fox » 09 Nov 2014, 23:59

idk, all the cool kids are fab these days

e: http://www.google.com/patents/US7818672 smh

fox

Re: [Android] Feed list not refreshed after "mark all as rea

Postby fox » 10 Nov 2014, 00:00

i too am annoyed over various user interface elements

you might have noticed how counters don't really instantly update in tt-rss proper either, it might even be a conscious design decision, imagine that

four2six
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby four2six » 10 Nov 2014, 09:48

unfortunately, the newest update doesn't load the feed list any more (nexus 7).

fox

Postby fox » 10 Nov 2014, 10:22

yes I'm sure all the other 12k people just didn't notice this fundamentally broken thing

arkolbus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby arkolbus » 11 Nov 2014, 02:47

Since the "mark as unread" button got buried in the recent versions of the app, I figured I'd give the "starred articles" approach a shot instead. In general it's fine, but can you add a "starred articles" feed to the sidebar in the android client? It's a little cumbersome to get to when I have unread articles (switch to "all articles", set view mode = "starred"), but more importantly it's impossible to get to if everything is marked as read ("all articles" is not available in the sidebar under this condition).

Setup:
tt-rss v1.14
android client v1.70

fox

Postby fox » 11 Nov 2014, 09:22

You don't use categories, right?

arkolbus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby arkolbus » 11 Nov 2014, 16:04

fox wrote:You don't use categories, right?

I found it. It doesn't appear to be related to categories (behavior is the same with that option enabled/disabled). I did try loading the menu with the sidebar open and realized I had "show unread feeds". I switched to "show all feeds" and I can see all the special feeds now (starred, recently read, etc).

It'd still be nice if the starred feed was always in the list with the number of starred articles (like the web client), but it's no big deal.

Thanks for the great software!

fox

Postby fox » 11 Nov 2014, 16:13

You are right, app doesn't hide special feeds in unread only mode while categories are enabled so this should be adjusted in flat list mode too.

hg8739
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Loss of menu access with latest upgrades

Postby hg8739 » 11 Nov 2014, 23:00

It seems the last upgrades has resulted in loss of the menu when running tt-rss on Gingerbread. I can no longer access the menu that corresponds to the menu in the upper right hand corner when running it on KitKat.

Also, the ability to mark an arcticle as read/unread would be be much better to have in the top menu where it used to be. It is now one further keypress away in the upper right hand menu, in this position it is also easy to hit mark all articles as read by mistake and finally, it does not indicate whether an additional keypress always marks the read the article as unread or toggles an unread article back to read.

fox

Re: Loss of menu access with latest upgrades

Postby fox » 11 Nov 2014, 23:41

lmao

1. throw away your 6 year old shit device
2. stop marking shit as unread
3. enjoy life

fox

Postby fox » 12 Nov 2014, 00:03

anyway, to answer your actual question, I've just tested it on a 2.3 avd and menu worked same as before i.e. I press f2 and it appears:

I guess if google's latest support library is not compatible with your device you're pretty much shit outta luck.

Also, next time some idiot sperg here whines about marking shit as unread, i'm gonna remove it altogether. I'm not joking. You people will have to go back to headlines list and select shit and toggle it back unread like bitches and I'm gonna enjoy every bit of your impotent raging.

e: Image welp here we go then

griever
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby griever » 13 Nov 2014, 13:38

I only subscribe to half a dozen feeds, with less than 10 posts per day between them, and here's my workflow...

- Every few days I scan through, read some, and dismiss the ones I'm not interested in
- Some of the feeds post long form articles, so I open them and if they're too long to finish in one sitting, I "mark as unread"
- Next time I open the app, the article that I was halfway through reading is at the top, I finish reading it and move on

Why is this workflow so offensive to you?

fox wrote:Yep. the whole mark as unread thing is retarded.
"oh i wanted to read this thing later.. wait fuck there's 500 new articles in this category, where is it???"

I never have 500 articles in a feed, I never even have 50.

You say here (http://tt-rss.org/redmine/issues/817#note-3) that "mark as unread" is stupid because you can't really unread things... Well I'm not really "unreading" it... I open it, the app thinks open=read, I say hey app, I opened it but I didn't finish reading it, so set it back to "unread" so I can finish reading it later... Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Do you ever open an email, realise that it's too long to finish reading right now, and mark it unread so you can come back to it later? Sure, you can't "un-open" something, but why is marking something "unread" when you haven't finished reading it "retarded"?

Every email client has an easily accessible "mark as unread" function, so I don't think this workflow is unusual for email... why is an rss reader workflow any different?

You included an easily accessible "mark as unread" function in your app for years... you moved it to a menu... people complained, so you react vindictively by removing it from the menu too... what a top bloke!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... op%20Bloke

If there's no room for the button, and you think it's less important than the other 3 buttons, then sure, put it in the overflow menu. Removing it from the menu too is just spiteful.

Great work fox, way to treat paying customers with the contempt they deserve... "stupid retards" they are, using your app in a way that you don't agree with.

fox wrote:Perplexing shit. And yet, people apparently consider it a logical thing to do. Well, not in my fucking app they won't. :twisted:

Fair enough, I built a server to host tt-rss, paid for the app, I've loved using it and recommended it to others, but I guess it's time to start looking for alternatives.

fox

Re: Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Postby fox » 13 Nov 2014, 13:43

nice essay, show it to your mom, maybe she'll put it on the fridge

>Fair enough, I built a server to host tt-rss, paid for the app, I've loved using it and recommended it to others, but I guess it's time to start looking for alternatives.

wish you'd do that instead of posting here, but alas

e: btw

>Do you ever open an email, realise that it's too long to finish reading right now, and mark it unread so you can come back to it later? Sure, you can't "un-open" something, but why is marking something "unread" when you haven't finished reading it "retarded"?

never in my life had I done something stupid like that
literally not even once

Archie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Android client:

Postby Archie » 13 Nov 2014, 17:49

I view the feeds oldest first, unread only.* Articles are marked read when I flip through them. When I come across one I want to read later I mark it as unread and the next time I open the feed the article is on top of the list, I read it, it is automatically marked as read, no more action necessary.
1 Click. 2 Clicks after the Button was removed from the actionbar.

How to do the same with starred articles:
I view the feeds oldest first, unread only. Articles are marked read when I flip through them. When I come across one I want to read later I mark it as starred. To see it again I have to either change the to feed starred articles (and change the sorting order to newest first because the newly marked article would at the end of the list) or to change the view to starred articles. After reading I have to unmark the article, change the view (or change the feed and order) again.
At least 4 Clicks.

Do you really think that's smart?
Removing the mark as unread Button doesn't make the second way any smarter. As little as pissing off the "impotent" users makes you any more potent.

It just shows that you are an arrogant prick or too stupid to understand such an scenario. Calling every slightly longer post an essay makes me think most likely both.

griever wrote:Why is this workflow so offensive to you?

Because it shows that he isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

*For some feeds doing otherwise doesn't make any sense.

Louie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Postby Louie » 13 Nov 2014, 18:18

Fox
Putting the mark as unread under the menu was a fine compromise since you don't think it is useful but other people who paid for your app did. I hope you decide to bring it back.

Return to “Support”