Similar service

Questions about http://online.tt-rss.org go here
christian
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Similar service

Postby christian » 27 Dec 2007, 17:51

How do one set up a service like online.tt-rss with tt-rss?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 27 Dec 2007, 18:58

Just install it and enable multi-user mode. The user registration stuff is not part of main branch, so you'd have to get it from separate Darcs repository (see wiki for details).

lomz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Similar service

Postby lomz » 09 Nov 2008, 23:58

Could you give me the foldername? and repositories?

fox

Postby fox » 10 Nov 2008, 00:30

1) darcs get http://online.tt-rss.org

2) vi register.php

lomz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lomz » 10 Nov 2008, 00:35

Possible to use svn? So I dont need to install a new program on my 4GB EEE

fox

Postby fox » 10 Nov 2008, 11:15

Not really, sorry. On the plus side, it's not like apt-get install darcs is ridiculously hard or takes much space (assuming you run linux on your EEE).

micoots
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby micoots » 11 Jan 2009, 04:46

Hi,

I've just downloaded and started to use tt-rss. I'm after a "user registration" system and came across this forum item.

fox wrote:Not really, sorry. On the plus side, it's not like apt-get install darcs is ridiculously hard or takes much space (assuming you run linux on your EEE).

I guess that's assuming you run debian?

I run RHEL 4 and RHEL 5 -based servers and darcs isn't part of any standard repo I can find. I do see it making its way into Fedora, since as early as FC6, but for some reason it hasn't made it main stream. For now, I installed an RPM I found through a websearch to get the darcs client installed.

Will this "user registration" system end up being part of tt-rss core?

It would seem to me that enabling a multi-user facility would require such a system, with emailed (auto)-activation links and/or captcha systems in place to stop spammers.

I was surprised to find tt-rss didn't have such a feature.

For now, I'm currently downloading the modified trunk and will attempt installation of it.

I guess without such a facility entering tt-rss core, then this trunk will never get updated?

Thanks for making it available.

fox

Postby fox » 11 Jan 2009, 09:50

Some day, maybe. It's being kept off the trunk for a variety of reasons.

Well, it's not like anything is stopping you from using Online branch. Lack of registration in trunk is similar to lack of user-friendly installation script - it's actually a feature. I don't want people who can't (or can't be bothered) to install a schema and vi config.php as users, because they'll come here and start asking dumb questions because they are just stupid or too lazy to think for themselves.

Similarly, I don't want people who are incapable of using a vcs client to download a separate code branch to install tt-rss open wide on the internet. Because, they'll inevitably get hacked (I'm not sure that tt-rss is bulletproof in this regard) and come here whining that tt-rss destroyed their life et cetera, et cetera.

I guess without such a facility entering tt-rss core, then this trunk will never get updated?

Um, I'm regularly updating Online branch to latest trunk code so that Online users can use new features. It's not just some dead branch, people are actually using this code every day.

fox

Postby fox » 11 Jan 2009, 09:56

Also: the actual difference between Online and main branches are some configuration settings and one file, the registration script (register.php). Nothing actually stops you from placing the script in the trunk code checkout and updating that as you please.

micoots
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby micoots » 11 Jan 2009, 16:35

fox wrote:

Some day, maybe. It's being kept off the trunk for a variety of reasons.

Well, it's not like anything is stopping you from using Online branch. Lack of registration in trunk is similar to lack of

Ok, the problem is, I've downloaded and installed the Online branch and when loading the homepage (tt-rss.php) I don't see this page:

http://online.tt-rss.org/tt-rss.php

ie. I see what I would normally see with the trunk branch version, just a "log in" button, no "create new account" button.

fox wrote:user-friendly installation script - it's actually a feature. I don't want people who can't (or can't be bothered) to install a schema and vi config.php as users, because they'll come here and start asking dumb questions because they are just stupid or too lazy to think for themselves.

Similarly, I don't want people who are incapable of using a vcs client to download a separate code branch to install tt-rss open wide on the internet. Because, they'll inevitably get hacked (I'm not sure that tt-rss is bulletproof in this regard) and come here whining that tt-rss destroyed their life et cetera, et cetera.

It's hard to know what to say to that. IMHO it's just too generalising and negative, sure there are people like that, but on the same token, there are others who aren't.

fox wrote:

Um, I'm regularly updating Online branch to latest trunk code so that Online users can use new features. It's not just some dead branch, people are actually using this code every day.

Hmmm.. I've done nothing more than:

* darcs get http://online.tt-rss.org

* copied files/directories to web directory

* modified config.php to enable multiuser mode

* accessed http://www.mydomain.com/

* logged in with admin, changed password, logged out

The multiuser mode simply enables the login feature, but how can I get the "create new account" etc functionality enabled?

Thanks.

fox

Postby fox » 11 Jan 2009, 17:57

Ah, yes. You need to add some (undocumented) constants in config.php:

Code: Select all

define('_ENABLE_REGISTRATION', true);
define('REG_NOTIFY_ADDRESS', '[email protected]');

Also, possibly this one:

define('FEEDBACK_URL', 'http://somewhere.dom/feedback');

That should do it. You might also want to tweak user expiration rules (register.php, near the top) and the registration template itself.

It's hard to know what to say to that. IMHO it's just too generalising and negative, sure there are people like that, but on the same token, there are others who aren't.

That's just being realistic. If tt-rss was commercial software or I was selling support or whatever, maybe the situation would've been different.

By the way, did you email me with this question several days ago? I got your mail, but completely forgot to answer. Sorry!

micoots
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby micoots » 12 Jan 2009, 10:29

fox wrote:Ah, yes. You need to add some (undocumented) constants in config.php:

define('_ENABLE_REGISTRATION', true);
define('REG_NOTIFY_ADDRESS', '[email protected]');

Also, possibly this one:

define('FEEDBACK_URL', 'http://somewhere.dom/feedback');

That should do it. You might also want to tweak user expiration rules (register.php, near the top) and the registration template itself.

Excellent, I implemented those constants and the Create new account button was displayed, clicking it went to the User Registration form. I did tweak the User Registration form yesterday when emailing (might as well since I was reading it anyway) and had to get rid of the MySQL statements at the header since they weren't valid Syntax for MySQL 4. I was going to try and work them out, but then after realising all they were doing was deleting users based on a criteria, I don't really need that at the moment.

With the feedback, is there a feedback system in place already ie. within tt-rss? currently I just put that as the URL for my feedback form.

fox wrote:

That's just being realistic. If tt-rss was commercial software or I was selling support or whatever, maybe the situation would've been different.

Unless paid for, no one can really ask you for more time than you're willing to give. I mostly hang around the Enterprise space so my exposure to "newbies" is extremely rare.

fox wrote:By the way, did you email me with this question several days ago? I got your mail, but completely forgot to answer. Sorry!

Yeah that was me :) I was checking out different Web based news readers at the time, just reviewing different packages to see if any suit my requirements. There's another good web-based one (maybe best not to mention it here) with plenty of user contributed themes and plugins, but it still didn't support the multi-user functionality I was looking for. Yet plugins for delicious bookmarking, category layout, etc that come with it make it appealing.

However, the look and feel of tt-rss is something I really like, it just looks great, has 3 pane's, starred items, etc. It reminds me of other Ajax driven tools I use so I feel more "at home" with it. With this multi-user functionality now working, tt-rss is now my reader of choice.

Many thanks for your efforts with it.

Michael.

fox

Postby fox » 12 Jan 2009, 13:13

I was going to try and work them out, but then after realising all they were doing was deleting users based on a criteria, I don't really need that at the moment.

Yep, that's what they do. The SQL is postgres-specific, it won't run on any mysql without tweaking.

With the feedback, is there a feedback system in place already ie. within tt-rss? currently I just put that as the URL for my feedback form.

No, it's just an arbitrary URL. As configured on online.tt-rss.org, it leads to this forum.

Return to “Online”