Update feed script on Amazon Linux AWS

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
mcdragon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Update feed script on Amazon Linux AWS

Postby mcdragon » 24 Nov 2015, 00:48

Hi

I have used tt-rss before but used cron. Now trying to use the preferred option of using the update daemon as described here: https://tt-rss.org/gitlab/fox/tt-rss/wikis/UpdatingFeeds.
I am using Amazon Linux which is based on Redhat. I have tried using the rc.local file to start the deamon at boot time but am unable to start it.

I have tried

Code: Select all

php /var/www/html/tt-rss/update.php --daemon &

and

su --shell=/bin/bash ec2-user -c “nohup /var/www/html/tt-rss/update.php --daemon > /dev/null &”

Can't get it to work. When I run the first command by itself it is fine but it won't update the feeds by itself. I have restarted the server. The PHP_EXECUTABLE is set correctly.

Any ideas?

darknite323
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Update feed script on Amazon Linux AWS

Postby darknite323 » 24 Nov 2015, 13:16

I don't know much about RedHat but here's a few things to try.

With the first command, perhaps it needs the full path to the php app.
Maybe change it to:

/usr/bin/php /var/www/html/tt-rss/update.php --daemon &

Obviously change it if php runs from a different directory on RedHat, this is the path from my Ubuntu test system.

As for the second command, if it's not working by itself then it's likely not correct.
I believe that you need php after nohup, so:

su --shell=/bin/bash ec2-user -c “nohup php /var/www/html/tt-rss/update.php --daemon > /dev/null &”

Also might need the full path to php in there. But this one is a bit out of my league so I could be way off.

If nothing works then try out this reply from stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/13722274
So you can get a log of what's happening in rc.local on boot.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 24 Nov 2015, 13:24

also why not run without dev/null and nohup and shit so you would have some actual output to read through instead of staring at blank screen wondering what went wrong

cktt
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby cktt » 24 Nov 2015, 14:23

I have CentOS (similar to RedHat), in /etc/init.d I have a script with

daemon --user=apache /usr/bin/php /var/www/ttrss/update_daemon2.php > /var/log/ttrss 2>&1 &

mcdragon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mcdragon » 30 Nov 2015, 22:42

Got it to work using various suggestions. cktt, I couldn't get that working as I was getting an error on the deamon command.
when using fox's suggestions I removed some of the parameters and one of the problems was that I was running it as root which is a no no. This was the solution that worked as I execute the command as the default user on Amazon Linux which is "ec2-user". This is basically why this ..

/usr/bin/php /var/www/html/tt-rss/update.php --daemon &
DID NOT work.

The current command in my rc.local that is working so far is

su -m ec2-user -c "/usr/bin/php /var/www/html/tt-rss/update_daemon2.php --feeds --quiet --log /var/www/html/tt-rss/ttrss.log > /var/log/ttrss 2>&1"

The suggestions to put full paths in here are valid but did not make any difference on my system as the php command is global.
Once the sync is stable I will remove the log outputs.

Also I would suggest monitoring the "CPUUtilization" and "CPUCreditBalance" metrics in CloudWatch to keep on eye of resource hogging.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. Much appreciated.

Return to “Support”