Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Postby fox » 26 Nov 2011, 20:08

Despite my ever-growing hate of Android SDK, finally I was able to to turn the app I was making into something that sorta works:

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.fox.ttrss

(Report issues here: http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... oid/issues)

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Official Android client

Postby johnnychicago » 28 Nov 2011, 00:37

Thanks for this - report it working on Froyo/Cyanogenmod7

But what's the use, compared to Nils' application? Currently as far as I can see, Nils' client seems to be considerable more usable (at least for my flow). Will the two merge at some point?

fox

Postby fox » 28 Nov 2011, 09:31

Well, this one works the way I think android client is supposed to work, which is somewhat different from ttrss-reader (which never clicked with me for several reasons). Also, I needed something with a proper honeycomb UI.

Anyway, some people would prefer my client, some would prefer ttrss-reader, nothing wrong with that. :)

Will the two merge at some point?

I don't think there's any reason for that, choice is good.

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 28 Nov 2011, 11:50

fox wrote:Well, this one works the way I think android client is supposed to work, which is somewhat different from ttrss-reader (which never clicked with me for several reasons). Also, I needed something with a proper honeycomb UI.

Anyway, some people would prefer my client, some would prefer ttrss-reader, nothing wrong with that. :)

Will the two merge at some point?

I don't think there's any reason for that, choice is good.

Certainly so.

I was playing around a bit with yours, and there's one thing I like a lot: the SSL certificate tickmark.

Apart from that, I am missing a way of browsing through the articles, calling up every single one individually is a lot of work. And I don't like the ads :)

fox

Postby fox » 28 Nov 2011, 12:15

Swiping through articles are pretty much next thing to do. I just need to figure out the whole swipes thing first. (Edit: done)

Other things: ads are opt-in in the latest version (.17) - which was the plan from the start, I got distracted and forgot to put that in yesterday. :)

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 28 Nov 2011, 16:44

fox wrote:Swiping through articles are pretty much next thing to do. I just need to figure out the whole swipes thing first. (Edit: done)

Other things: ads are opt-in in the latest version (.17) - which was the plan from the start, I got distracted and forgot to put that in yesterday. :)

Good stuff, you're clearly on the roll ;-)

Only thing missing is categories and labels, now :)

fox

Postby fox » 28 Nov 2011, 19:40

Caveat: proper support of virtual categories like Labels, Special and Uncategorized would require server-side API changes.

Edit: Also, I must say, there's no better way to see obvious shortcomings of the API than actually trying to use it. :)

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 03 Dec 2011, 19:59

Just mentioning... since the latest update (the one with the combined view) swiping doesn't work if the combined view is disabled, and the default text size is tinytiny indeed :)

fox

Postby fox » 03 Dec 2011, 22:14

Yeah, this is something that I'm aware of. If I enable zoom in webview, it seems to eat all touch events and breaks swiping. Thanks, Google!

fox

Postby fox » 03 Dec 2011, 23:12

Alright, I've pushed a new version to the market. Let me know how it works for you.

I'm afraid that combined mode is inherently problematic, though, android listview can't seem to handle a lot of embedded webviews without going crazy.

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 04 Dec 2011, 22:24

fox wrote:Alright, I've pushed a new version to the market. Let me know how it works for you.

I'm afraid that combined mode is inherently problematic, though, android listview can't seem to handle a lot of embedded webviews without going crazy.

Works beautifully, thanks. Although I have an impression swiping is a bit iffy.

I've never liked swiping that much, always preferred buttons. But the new Google Reader lets one swipe very easily, with minimal thumb movement.

As for the combined view - me personally, I don't see that much of a need on a phone. But maybe you could do with vertical swiping, effectively showing only one article, but being able to swipe to the next one vertically. If that's compatible with scrolling, obviously?

rolfkleef
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby rolfkleef » 06 Dec 2011, 03:33

Cool! :D Turns my phone and tablet really into power tools to keep up to date while in transit or on the couch!

Labels: if I'd be able to assign a label to (and perhaps remove from) a post, it would already cover my main work flow from a mobile device! :wink: (using the "published+label" rss feeds to read items into other sites)

fox

Postby fox » 06 Dec 2011, 09:07

I'm working on the offline mode now (which is coming along rather nicely). I'll add manipulating labels to my todo list. Although this is not currently supported by the API at all, so there might be difficulties. :(

Re: swiping, maybe I'm doing this wrong, but as far as I could figure, everyone has to implement gestures themselves from scratch, which strikes me as something rather stupid, but there you have it. I've tweaked the swipe minimal length to be a bit smaller, maybe that'll help.

briandamage
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby briandamage » 07 Dec 2011, 19:19

I really like the latest version of the Android client but I HATE the ads. I see there is a $2 unlock key - will this remove the ads? If so I will very gladly buy it immediately!

fox

Postby fox » 07 Dec 2011, 19:48

Of course, that's the whole point. I guess I wasn't clear in the description, I'll update it.

Return to “Support”