"mark as read" may cause lost updates

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
Faldrian
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

"mark as read" may cause lost updates

Postby Faldrian » 18 May 2012, 01:37

I sometimes use "mark as read" and noticed there is a behaviour I would classify as "wrong".

Situation & Problem:
I read a feed with some items and as I read it, new entrys are found by the cronjob. The number in the tree on the left gets incremented, but the feed-view stays as it is (good so far).
But when you "mark as read" the feed, every entry including the new "unseen" entry gets marked as read. So you have an entry, that you have never seen, marked as read.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: "mark as read" may cause lost updates

Postby fox » 18 May 2012, 10:01

This is a valid issue, but on the other hand marking feed as read and suddenly seeing unread stuff in it might be equally confusing and annoying. Not sure what's best here.

Faldrian
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Faldrian » 18 May 2012, 12:58

Usually I look at the items of a feed and decide: "Okay, no caption has cought my eye, might as well mark them all as read."
To be sure not to miss an item, I would have to run the cursor down the whole list... not convenient, because I thought that's what the button is for.

fox

Postby fox » 18 May 2012, 14:13

This is not what this button does, though.

Faldrian
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Faldrian » 18 May 2012, 15:27

Not? But that is what somebody would think the button does. It's in the toolbar that refers to the items I'm watching. In case it refers to the actual items in the tree, it may as well be a context-menu-item of that tree-item...

Okay in other words: I would really like a button that marks all shown unread items as read. Maybe also in place of the current button. :)

fox

Postby fox » 18 May 2012, 16:07

1. The button refers to the entire feed, which is why it is placed above the headlines buffer with all the other things that affect the entire feed.
2. If you have confirmation prompts enabled for this action, it would plain tell you what it's going to do.

Someone might think this button dispenses pizza. I suggest filing those kind of people as incapable of higher cognitive activity and forgetting about them altogether.

Okay in other words: I would really like a button that marks all shown unread items as read.

You can do that by pressing, I think, 3 keys on your keyboard (see shortcuts) or doing select unread -> toggle unread.

Maybe also in place of the current button.

The source code is open, you can modify it however you wish.

markwaters
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby markwaters » 18 May 2012, 16:22

If in doubt just keypress - f r
The the feed gets refreshed in the browser and any new items appear.

Twilek
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Twilek » 02 Jun 2012, 20:18

I really want to second Faldrian in this. The behaviour of the "Mark as read" button is the only gripe I have with the otherwise exceptionally well designed TT RSS. In all other programs I have come across so far the "Mark as read" (or similar) button marks all visible items/topics as read, be it emails, news or whatever. The current way is highly counterintuitive and will inevetably lead to lost/unseen News. It happened to me that when I clicked the button, just half a second before I caught the number of new items on the left jump up just to be put to 0 directly afterwards. So I had to manually search the the tree to find it. I would really really appreciate if the behaviour of the button could be changed and I cannot image that someone really prefers the current way (if so maybe you could make the behaviour switchable in the settings).

Otherwise TT RSS is the bomb :D

Regards

Twilek

fox

Postby fox » 03 Jun 2012, 15:34

I'd like to reitetate that 1) confirmation prompt explicitly tells you what is going to happen; 2) I don't see how pressing mark as read multiple times to mark hundreds of unread articles as read is good UI design.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Twilek
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Twilek » 03 Jun 2012, 18:44

Ok I think you got me wrong there (or maybe I misunderstood Faldrian). By visible I was talking about ALL items in the list, also those which you have to scroll to. So you have to press the button twice at max (First time for the items in the list, second time for the items which might have been added while you were reading). The problem is that the button also marks topics which are not even visible in the list. So everytime I use it I ask myself "Maybe I just marked a post which would have popped up a second later".

fox

Postby fox » 03 Jun 2012, 19:37

What you probably mean to say is that tt-rss shouldn't mark articles newer than the newest one in the buffer, which makes sense I guess, but could be not straightforward to implement.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Jun 2012, 20:03

https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... acbea28376

Might work weird for people who view oldest articles on top.

Twilek
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Twilek » 03 Jun 2012, 20:37

When this hits the Debian repos I will test it. On a different note talking about Debain repos. When running tt-rss on Debian testing, Debian wants to install Mysql 5.5 and at the same time deinstall tt-rss-mysql.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Jun 2012, 22:44

Btw the patch linked above is broken, fixed in trunk.

When running tt-rss on Debian testing, Debian wants to install Mysql 5.5 and at the same time deinstall tt-rss-mysql.

Don't see anything weird with tt-rss dependencies, so dunno.

Twilek
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Twilek » 03 Jun 2012, 23:18

Yup I also went throught the dependencies and couldn´t find the conflict, but still "apt-get dist-upgrade" lists

Code: Select all

Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
  mysql-client-5.1 mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server-core-5.1 tt-rss-mysql

(this is a list of packets that will be removed)

Maybe I can reinstall tt-rss-mysql afterwards but I have to admit I am a little anxious that it won´t work because I won´t downgrade mysql (upgrading is adventure enough) and reinstalling tt-rss via another way doesn´t sound promising...

UPDATE: Ok I just thought "What the..." and took the plunge. The upgrade went smoothly but I had to uninstall tt-rss-mysql. After the upgrade I could reinstall the package without a complaint. I think it has something to do with there being a metapacket mysql-server-5.5 and a generic packet mysql-server, but that´s just a guess...

Return to “Support”