Thank You for Tiny Tiny RSS

puzo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Many thanks

Postby puzo » 14 Mar 2013, 16:28

Hi :)

There are already some topics like this one but that does not stop me to thank you for your excellent work!

Keep up the good work 8)

onyxfox
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Thank You for Tiny Tiny RSS

Postby onyxfox » 19 Mar 2013, 11:59

I, like many, have been looking around for an alternative to Google Reader since the announcement, and after installing and using tt-rss for a couple of days now, I have to say I think I have found the perfect solution! tt-rss is an amazing effort, and I chose to support you the one way I knew how, I bought the Android app you offer. I hope that tt-rss gets adopted by many other Google Reader refugees as well!

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Thank You for Tiny Tiny RSS

Postby joseph-mx » 21 Mar 2013, 12:14

i run away from google because of protecting my privacy. tt-rss is a good alternative to google reader. :)

Beun
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Beun » 21 Mar 2013, 12:47

Thanks from me too. I tried out TTRSS for a couple of months back in 2008, but this time I'm here to stay 8-)

alvanorichie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby alvanorichie » 21 Mar 2013, 14:26

TT-rss isn't a desktop application like you are thinking. It's a web-based application that you hit with your web browser or mobile app.

HunterZ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby HunterZ » 21 Mar 2013, 19:58

Yes, thanks for fox and everyone in the community that has contributed to make tt-rss.

I was an avid fan of Google Reader until the shutdown announcement, at which point I went looking for another web-based solution with any kind of mobile support. I couldn't find any non-self-hosted solutions I liked (theoldreader was most promising, but didn't have good "mark as read" features and I'm *still* in their OPML import queue after almost a week!).

Fortunately my wife had a hosting account laying around mostly unused, so I made it a project last weekend to get tt-rss running on it. So far it has everything I liked about Google Reader and more.

craywolf
Mr. Awesome

Postby craywolf » 21 Mar 2013, 20:08

If y'all really want to say thank you, there's a donate button on http://tt-rss.org :D

It links to Russian PayPal but you can figure out where the important fields are.

bgvaughan
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bgvaughan » 22 Mar 2013, 03:08

I had scarcely ever used Google Reader, and learning to use it properly had been on a vague mental to-do list for some time. All the brouhaha about Google Reader getting shut down drew my attention to A) How people were describing how they have been using it, and B) to TT-RSS as a replacement.

Like a lot of others, I decided to set up an Amazon EC2 instance to run TT-RSS. It took me a few hours of work, almost all of which was trying to find a way to get the update daemon working. I'm impressed by what an excellent, highly usable web application TT-RSS is. In general, it wasn't difficult to set up, given basic knowledge of the LAMP stack, and it seems to me that, given a robust and portable installer for the update daemon, this is all just about at the point where you could install it and getting it running on a freshly installed, standard Linux system with just a shell script that prompts for a few passwords and configuration details. In searching for installation advice, I found a lot of blog posts from different people in the last few days, saying they had just installed TT-RSS on an Amazon EC2 instance, or were about to, so perhaps that use-case would be a good focus for writing walk-throughs and development.

I'm grateful for the work done on this. I paid for the Android TT-RSS application, so at least that's a start on supporting the project.

foo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby foo » 25 Mar 2013, 21:04

Agreed. It's much appreciated!

alvanorichie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Many thanks

Postby alvanorichie » 26 Mar 2013, 15:29

:D Yeah Much Appreciated. Same Feelings:)

daweb
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Many thanks

Postby daweb » 29 Mar 2013, 20:06

Didn't want to start a new thread but did want to say thank you not only to Mr. Fox, but to all that contribute and help out the newbies like myself here. Great Job! with a little luck I will be able to contribute as well.

sancho1234
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sancho1234 » 30 Mar 2013, 23:44

Donated! :) :wink: Fox! Thank you!!! :D

Transaction ID: 27Pxxxxxxxxxx6931

bedouin
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bedouin » 31 Mar 2013, 02:50

I hesitantly started using Google Reader when the number of mobile devices I owned increased and needed a way to keep my read feeds in sync across multiple platforms. That was the main draw for me. I never used the web interface. The Google API was open so I wasn't tied to any specific client and that was also appealing -- even if Google (who I hate for a multitude of reasons) was still at the core. Some of the replacements people are flocking to seem tied to a closed API and subsequently whatever app they force you to use. Not to mention they can shutter their doors at will.

TT-RSS has a really nice interface when browsing on the desktop, and after enabling the digest mode in config.php, it has nice tablet layout on both my iPad and TouchPad -- very similar to the apps I used on both platforms. The mobile interface is very basic, but it doesn't need to be very advanced in the first place.

Once the iOS apps start rolling in, and I'm pretty sure they will, I'll be even more satisfied. Google EOLing Reader is really a blessing in disguise.

unlogy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby unlogy » 31 Mar 2013, 03:15

This seems to be the Thank You thread...

Let me add my Thank you too!!

Unlogy

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joseph-mx » 31 Mar 2013, 05:03

Return to “Everything else”