Building a Firefox Addon

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Building a Firefox Addon

Postby meinfuchs » 27 Mar 2013, 13:57

@feader:
Well, I've based the design on both the existing Tiny Tiny RSS Notifier for chrome and X-notifier: Both use white digits on red background and I'm personally fine with that. I just had a closer look at the latter css and used some of that. This improved readability quite a bit for me so I'll probably create an updated version soon. (If you're interested in the current status you could give it a try in Add-on builder.)

I see the advantage of the Stack Alert approach to read the numbers. But for me personally the unread count is not too important anyway. I mean I want to know if there are unread articles and probably also kind of the order of magnitude. But if it's 23 or 27 doesn't matter too much to me.

What I could envision is to add another display style that just shows the number in a box. This might also include transparency on the background (e.g. via background-color:rgba) but I'm not sure if that would benefit readability.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 27 Mar 2013, 22:59

meinfuchs wrote:@feader:
But for me personally the unread count is not too important anyway. I mean I want to know if there are unread articles and probably also kind of the order of magnitude. But if it's 23 or 27 doesn't matter too much to me.

Yeah, that's true :D

meinfuchs wrote:What I could envision is to add another display style that just shows the number in a box. This might also include transparency on the background (e.g. via background-color:rgba) but I'm not sure if that would benefit readability.

The number style looks good. Maybe the number could be a few points lower (so you see the top line of the "t"), and a 3 digit number loses one (smaller size for the number?).

Question: If I register at Add-on Builder, can I "fork" the project so I can alter the files myself, and install them in the browser (this really is great feature), and then push my changes back (if you allow it, of course)?

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 27 Mar 2013, 23:34

feader wrote:The number style looks good. Maybe the number could be a few points lower (so you see the top line of the "t"), and a 3 digit number loses one (smaller size for the number?).

Well, with the icon style the badge currently is 12 pixels high while the number has 14. So making the latter smaller brings the two closer together. In this case I would rather go for a "dark" version of the icon style (preview :D ). Accomodating 3 digits in the icon is pretty tough, so the font size has to go really down.

feader wrote:Question: If I register at Add-on Builder, can I "fork" the project so I can alter the files myself, and install them in the browser (this really is great feature), and then push my changes back (if you allow it, of course)?

I don't really know but I don't think so. There's only a button called copy so pushing would be rather manual.As an alternative I could make to code available in bitbucket but this would include some amout of manually shuffling files back and forth for both of us. :( But if you're just thinking about changing the style files this should be manageable somehow.

Argoson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Argoson » 28 Mar 2013, 00:12

I would like to request another feature: When clicking on the icon to open the TTRSS site, reset the counter/icon to zero/blue icon.
Optional: the user can enable/disable this feature in the add-on's preferences.

Thank you

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 28 Mar 2013, 00:16

meinfuchs wrote:Well, with the icon style the badge currently is 12 pixels high while the number has 14. So making the latter smaller brings the two closer together. In this case I would rather go for a "dark" version of the icon style (preview :D ). Accomodating 3 digits in the icon is pretty tough, so the font size has to go really down.

Tried the latest version (404), I liked the earlier ones better (e.g. 400) :( . I'd like to have the number at the bottom of the icon, and maybe it could "overflow" the icon (larger width in span?)

meinfuchs wrote:
feader wrote:Question: If I register at Add-on Builder, can I "fork" the project so I can alter the files myself, and install them in the browser (this really is great feature), and then push my changes back (if you allow it, of course)?

I don't really know but I don't think so. There's only a button called copy so pushing would be rather manual.As an alternative I could make to code available in bitbucket but this would include some amout of manually shuffling files back and forth for both of us. :( But if you're just thinking about changing the style files this should be manageable somehow.

OK. Then I register myself, copy it, play with it, and if I'm satisfied, I can download both version and send you the output of diff -r over the forum/PM.

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 28 Mar 2013, 00:31

Argoson wrote:I would like to request another feature: When clicking on the icon to open the TTRSS site, reset the counter/icon to zero/blue icon.
Optional: the user can enable/disable this feature in the add-on's preferences.

Ok, just added that one but is off by default as it's nothing I personally will use :)

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 28 Mar 2013, 00:34

feader wrote:OK. Then I register myself, copy it, play with it, and if I'm satisfied, I can download both version and send you the output of diff -r over the forum/PM.

I'm looking forward to your results.

Argoson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Argoson » 28 Mar 2013, 00:37

meinfuchs wrote:Ok, just added that one but is off by default as it's nothing I personally will use :)

Thank you !! Where can I get the update ?

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 28 Mar 2013, 02:33

meinfuchs wrote:
feader wrote:OK. Then I register myself, copy it, play with it, and if I'm satisfied, I can download both version and send you the output of diff -r over the forum/PM.

I'm looking forward to your results.

CSS is fun :| I post a manual diff :wink: I changed the width in main.js to 24 for the number style, and my number.css is
img {
position:absolute;
left:4;
top:0;
}
span {
display:inline;
position:absolute;
top:2;
color: black;
background-color: rgba(10, 10, 10, 0.2);
border-radius:2px;
text-align:center;
vertical-align:middle;
font:12px sans-serif;
font-weight:bold;
opacity:0.8;
margin: 0 auto;
width: 24px
}

Your opinion :?:

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 28 Mar 2013, 12:09

feader wrote:Your opinion :?:

I've incorporated it into the most recent version (beta.rev417). Have you checked it with a three digit unread count? :? I still prefer the icon style :wink:

Argoson wrote:Thank you !! Where can I get the update ?

The version has just been uploaded to mozilla's add-on page. So I guess it will be available from there later today.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 28 Mar 2013, 16:36

meinfuchs wrote:I've incorporated it into the most recent version (beta.rev417). Have you checked it with a three digit unread count? :? I still prefer the icon style :wink:

three digits – Yes, that's why I changed the width to 24px. The hard part was the centering over the icon, so that one digit is centered as well.

I gave it some thought, maybe play around with it a little more (shrinking the icon, lower the number, and this … centering).

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 28 Mar 2013, 17:46

meinfuchs wrote:I've incorporated it into the most recent version (beta.rev417). Have you checked it with a three digit unread count? :? I still prefer the icon style :wink:

So, played a bit with it. I decided to tweak the icon mode (because the centered placement was a bit underwhelming) and changed the colors a bit:

Code: Select all

span{
    color:#000000;
    background-color: rgba(240, 240, 240, 0.3);
    border:1px solid #202020;
}

Looks a bit strange with a single number (place span a little to the left?), but oh well.

meinfuchs wrote:Well, I've based the design on both the existing Tiny Tiny RSS Notifier for chrome and X-notifier: Both use white digits on red background and I'm personally fine with that.

:idea: If you still want to go in that direction, maybe you could shrink the icon

Code: Select all

img {
width: 12/14px;
height: 12/14px;
}

Tried it with the number style, and it gives a bit space for the number itself. Or we could try to figure out Firefoxes height options, but looking at my other installed Add-Ons, I doubt there is way to get more pixels :|

Edit: (new style)
tt-rss.png
Screenshot of another format
tt-rss.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 4170 times

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 30 Mar 2013, 18:08

Here is how it looks for me (FF19.0.2 on Win):
ttrss-f.png
ttrss-f.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
The colors used are already from the preferences.
Personally I like having the icon full in height, especially if there are no unread articles.

UksusoFF
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby UksusoFF » 09 Jul 2015, 09:07

Hi! Thanks for extension!
But on latest Firefox it's sometimes goes away from toolbar after resize and restart browser. Any way to fix this?

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 09 Jul 2015, 09:17

UksusoFF wrote:Hi! Thanks for extension!
But on latest Firefox it's sometimes goes away from toolbar after resize and restart browser. Any way to fix this?

I am currently working on a major update on the add-on. With Firefox 40 the module currently used will be removed and I have to move to something else. Hopefully this also solves the problems you are having with it. :)

Return to “Development”