Updater Deletes 3rd Party Plugins. Bug? Enhancement Needed?

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
mneimeyer
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Updater Deletes 3rd Party Plugins. Bug? Enhancement Needed?

Postby mneimeyer » 04 Apr 2013, 11:55

I'm not certain if this is a bug, an enhancement request or what so I thought I would start here.

The situation is that I used the Updater plugin to update from 1.7.5 to 1.7.7 and it worked perfectly. There was however, an unintended side effect (I hope it was unintended) in that the update process deleted all my third party plugins that I had manually installed.

The Developer in me says "of course it did, the updater makes the installation match the master source" which would make it an enhancement request to make tt-rss not do that (perhaps a parallel folder to plugins for third party plugins that isn't touched when updating?)

The Administrator/User in me says this is obviously a bug because if tt-rss didn't install the file, then tt-rss shouldn't delete the file.

Any thoughts? Have I missed something?

Thanks

Matt

P.S. Of course I backed up but the point remains that it is, in my opinion, poor user experience. Especially when something could be done to prevent it.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Updater Deletes 3rd Party Plugins. Bug? Enhancement Need

Postby fox » 04 Apr 2013, 12:37

You might want to start reading updater messages. Not only updater deletes absolutely nothing from your old installation (it renames the directory), it also notifies you that you will need to migrate your locally modified data. This is done so the resulting tree is in a consistent state. Plugins may be broken by new update and stop tt-rss from loading.

In short, start paying attention until you screwed up something else, mister developer sysadmin administrator whatever.

franzdoe
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby franzdoe » 04 Apr 2013, 13:48

It wouldn't hurt to rephrase that updater message about migrating locally modified data and mention plugins specifically because this is very likely to become a Frequently Asked Question.

mneimeyer
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mneimeyer » 07 Apr 2013, 04:05

Fox,

I just ran the 1.7.8 updater with your comments in mind and I have two comments.

1. Post update there ARE notes about renaming the tt-rss installation folder that I DID miss the first time. My apologies for not reading that closely enough.

Prior to running the update it only warns me that I should backup my installation. It might be nice if the destination renamed folder was displayed there. At the very least a "will be renamed" warning would be great. Perhaps changing the lines in the updater/init.php that currently read:

_debug("Warning: self-updating is experimental. Use at your own risk.");
_debug("Please backup your tt-rss directory before continuing. Your database will not be modified.");
_debug("Type 'yes' to continue.");

To read more along the lines as follows:

_debug("Warning: self-updating is experimental. Use at your own risk.");
_debug("Please backup your tt-rss directory before continuing.");
_debug(" - Your database will not be modified.");
_debug(" - Your current installation folder will be renamed to preserve your working files.");
_debug("Type 'yes' to continue.");

2. When the root installation folder of tt-rss is the same as the web root then the renaming effectively happens outside of the web root folder and if, like me, you have your FTP/File Browser set to automatically change into the web root you will not see those files. Which is why I originally thought they were deleted. I had no reason, having missed the notice about renaming, to look outside the web root and generally speaking would not expect programs to make changes outside the web root.

If it matters, I didn't want co-mingle the tt-rss files with my regular stuff by creating a folder like www.mydomain.com/tt-rss instead I created a sub-domain rss.mydomain.com. The installation instructions recommend unzipping the files into a folder named tt-rss for brevity but do not give any other reason for doing so and since mine was shorter by at least three characters and brevity was the only reason given I didn't realize there would be side effects.

All in all, thanks for a great product! I already love this better than Google Reader... wish I had found this earlier.

Matt

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 07 Apr 2013, 09:20

>_debug(" - Your current installation folder will be renamed to preserve your working files.");

This actually makes sense. People still won't read anything but I might as well add it there too.

>I had no reason, having missed the notice about renaming,

Yes it's not like it's mentioned in the upgrade guide or anything.

mneimeyer
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mneimeyer » 08 Apr 2013, 04:38

Granted... but I'm not the only stupid one who should have known better to re-read the upgrade instructions when actually doing them and not trusting my memory from the first time I read them...

Take viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1373 for example...

P.S. As an aside... I have a bunch of Web Comic based plugins that I've created (all of which pull in the comic image directly into the feed)... would it be better to post those in one lump post or separately?

Return to “Development”