[Android Client] Compact headline mode

Request new functionality here
pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

[Android Client] Compact headline mode

Postby pcause » 15 Nov 2014, 18:43

First, I want to thank you for adding the compact headline mode. I *LOVE* this mode and it makes my reading much more efficient. In the layout the thing I miss is the publish button. I read a lot of feeds and use the star and publish to save and create a shared feed for others. What I find I never use are the check boxes for selection. In the client the actions for selected items are star, publish and toggle unread. Since star is on items this leaves unread and publish. I was wondering if others use the checkbox to select multiple items to mark unread. For a single item tap and hold gives the option. If folks don't use this than might putting the publish on the item in compact mode be a change that makes sense?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: [Android Client] Compact headline mode

Postby fox » 15 Nov 2014, 19:13

there's not much space in there, and checkboxes are definitely not going anywhere. i'll think about it.

e: you can always longpress on the headline btw

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 19 Nov 2014, 01:02

thanks, fox. know about the long press. guess i'll have to live with 2 taps to publish. BTW, the new circles for checkboxes seem weird to me. Very large and the varying colors seem more of a distraction than value add. Also the letter in the circle doesn't add anything other than distraction as it is the first letter of the title and is then repeated. If you could drop the first letter so that the circle was the first letter and the rest of the title was aligned right next to it it might be a bit better.

Just my humble opinion. Anyway, compact is just terrific and thanks again.

fox

Postby fox » 19 Nov 2014, 01:22

do you people ever like open stock apps like gmail or what

im genuinely interested

>If you could drop the first letter so that the circle was the first letter and the rest of the title was aligned right next to it it might be a bit better.

also, this is an illustration on why i almost never listen to user suggestions

atrus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby atrus » 19 Nov 2014, 04:06

The first letter does seem artificial...

On gmail, it's the first letter of the sender. Maybe it should be the first letter of the name of the feed instead?

Better yet, gmail will use a profile icon instead of a letter if it knows which one to use. Maybe this would be a good place for the feed icon if present if available?

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 19 Nov 2014, 05:28

fox wrote:do you people ever like open stock apps like gmail or what

im genuinely interested

Well I try to avoid the stock apps. There are generally better options and ones where your information is more under your control than that of some big Web ad company. I am kind of surprised as your comment seems to suggest you would suggest that stock apps represent the paradigm of good design. Maybe you are just in a state of fatigue and delirium after wrestling with the superior quality and simplicity of the Android environment. I've found that things like, well, tt-rss are better than certain large web company alternatives and that certain large web companies don't always seem to care about the support of their products and customers. You can even find cases where a cranky Russian developer can do a better job (product and UI) than their large web companies and their hordes of developers.

fox

Postby fox » 19 Nov 2014, 09:15

tells me everything i needed to know, thanks

>On gmail, it's the first letter of the sender. Maybe it should be the first letter of the name of the feed instead?

this would look bad, the idea is that it's easier to separate headlines visually, your idea would be useless if browsing a single feed and looks kinda bad if virtual feed (i tried), while also bringing additional inconsistency

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 20 Nov 2014, 21:08

What I've noticed is that the circle is *so* big that I love space for headline text and that checkbox style gives me more text on a single line. I know that Google has guidelines but is there a way to shrink the size of the circle. I loved this mode before the circles, but a lot less so now. I know this is the look and feel Google is pushing, but I really don't think Google represents that paradigm of good design.

Return to “Feature requests”